first celebrity cruise, worried about food in blu

Fireflymkz76

I think it's so sweet of your boyfriend to plan this cruise for you!

You should enjoy Blu - everything was so yummy and they are so accommodating to your needs. Different courses - all on special china - what's not to like?

Breakfast is great too.

I think you'll be fine and you and your beau will have a marvelous cruise!

Don't worry. A lot of the descriptions sound really "foo foo" and the actual food isn't as "fancy schmancy" as it sounds. We've eaten in Blu the last 5 cruises, and we love it.

You said "whatever it is" referring to Aqua Class. It's a cabin the same size as 90% of all the cabins on the ship but they have (in my opinion) better locations and a few extra amenities. Blu is the best feature. I love the free bottled water too, and you can get more than the 2 bottles they bring you a day. Just ask. I usually got about 8.

Try the everyday chocolate cake on the menu. One of the best desserts on the ship. I promise! The lamb is always good. I like broccoli but I like it cooked softer than typically served. I just ask them for it.

Occasionally I just want a big plate of lettuce with some grilled salmon or chicken on it. They'll do that, just ask. It's even nicer if you ask earlier in the day when you read the posted menu outside the door or look at the menu for the next day at dinner. If you want a huge bowl of strawberries on the side, just ask. If you want some couscous with cheese, just ask. dThey're very accommodating.

CathyCruises -

Your statement is not really accurate. There are many people on these boards, including myself, that have dined in Blu and have successfully ordered items from the "every day menu" that is offered in the MDR.

So yes, you can order items from the MDR "every day" menu in Blu. I have never needed to ask to look at the menu as I know what is available and specify to my server the items I want.

Amen, I ordered from the MDR menus as well but regretted it. The items soups, appetizers from the MDR menu that I ordered were just not good.

Edited by SnorkelBoy

Thank you. Is there a way I can enlarge the menus so I can read them?

Yes of course! If you click on of them, they will show up larger but still not readable. Click again and it will be bigger, maybe your mouse cursor will turn into a magnifying glass - then you can even make it larger with another click.

Short version: click on the menus until you can read it :D

This is an example of one picture I clicked to enlarge it: http://cruisewith.lydiaingo.com/gallery/var/albums/Blu-Menus/DSC08764_Lr.jpg?m=1421164702 - should be large enough to read it?

Sorry I don't know about the summit, the pictures were all taken on S Class Ships.

Edited by UniPac

Solo cruiser here who will be in Aqua class for the first time on her upcoming Silhouette cruise. I booked Aqua for a number of reasons with Blu being one of them. I don't mind dining at a table for two by myself. I do mind dining by myself at a table for 6 or 8 in the MDR. On my last two solo cruises, I was the 6th or 7th wheel, odd girl out, at a large table. Both times I was seated with groups traveling together and, while the people were nice and made weak attempts to include me, it wasn't enjoyable. On more than one night, on both cruises, I went to the table to find myself the only one there. After having read about Blu and, being a bit of a foodie, it sounded like the ideal place for me.

Since there a lot of experienced Blu eaters on this thread, can anyone comment on what the wine by the glass selection is like?

Edited by Straughn

I hope Blu can find some way to get me escargot and my husband French onion soup. Something we really enjoy in the MDR. I thought I would nicely ask the first night if it was at all possible and see what they say.

Laura

Check the main dining room menu and if you see something you like, but would like to have it served to you in Blu, ask the Head Waiter if that would be possible. We have done this a couple of times because I love escargot and creme brûlée!

My wife and I sailed on the Solstice in AQ out of Barcelona in June, 2012. It was our first time on Celebrity, but I'd read that they really have great food and service. We didn't know about Blu for the first few days that we were on board, but decided to try it for dinner.

We were so happy that we found it, we didn't look at the MDR again for the whole cruise. The breakfast is great and for us, there was plenty to choose from at dinner. We're pretty adventurous eaters, but nothing seemed "exotic" to us, just a little different in a good way. I have self-imposed dietary restrictions, as my body doesn't process fats very well. So, I avoid cream sauces, anything deep fried and I gave up red meat last year and feel so much better for it.

We know that we'll be able to get some wonderful options in Blu each night from our previous experience. It's the reason that we booked AQ again for our June cruise again on the Solstice to Alaska. You can believe that every breakfast and dinner will be in Blu!

One other thing about Blu that I haven't seen mentioned is the sommelier. On the Solstice cruise we took, she had so many great recommendations for terrific wine pairings for our meals. We had the premium alcohol package, so she chose appropriately priced glasses of wine. I was extremely impressed with her knowledge of wine and I tried a few wines I'd not tried before. Honestly, was one of the best parts of our Blu dining experience. The servers are top notch, as well, and took great care of us.

One other great perk about AQ is the lounge with the big double loungers in the front of the ship. We cruised out of Venice laying on those comfy things and it was one of the highlights of the trip. I very much recommend going there when you're coming into or leaving port. It's included as part of AQ, so you should use it!

Edited by Stingermb

My wife and I sailed on the Solstice in AQ out of Barcelona in June, 2012. It was our first time on Celebrity, but I'd read that they really have great food and service. We didn't know about Blu for the first few days that we were on board, but decided to try it for dinner.

We were so happy that we found it, we didn't look at the MDR again for the whole cruise. The breakfast is great and for us, there was plenty to choose from at dinner. We're pretty adventurous eaters, but nothing seemed "exotic" to us, just a little different in a good way. I have self-imposed dietary restrictions, as my body doesn't process fats very well. So, I avoid cream sauces, anything deep fried and I gave up red meat last year and feel so much better for it.

We know that we'll be able to get some wonderful options in Blu each night from our previous experience. It's the reason that we booked AQ again for our June cruise again on the Solstice to Alaska. You can believe that every breakfast and dinner will be in Blu!

One other thing about Blu that I haven't seen mentioned is the sommelier. On the Solstice cruise we took, she had so many great recommendations for terrific wine pairings for our meals. We had the premium alcohol package, so she chose appropriately priced glasses of wine. I was extremely impressed with her knowledge of wine and I tried a few wines I'd not tried before. Honestly, was one of the best parts of our Blu dining experience. The servers are top notch, as well, and took great care of us.

One other great perk about AQ is the lounge with the big double loungers in the front of the ship. We cruised out of Venice laying on those comfy things and it was one of the highlights of the trip. I very much recommend going there when you're coming into or leaving port. It's included as part of AQ, so you should use it!

Thank you for this perspective on Blu. Although I will be on Silhouette, I am delighted to hear about the sommelier on Solstice. I am traveling solo, and I need the option to select wine by the glass based on my menu selections. I will have the premium package and hope that the sommelier on my cruise will be as good.