Disembarking Grand Princess/Embarking Crown Princess - San Pedro

TravelDan99

Please leave your cabin as soon as possible so the cabin stewards can clean your cabin for the next customer. They would like for you to be out of your cabin by 8a.m. I cruised back to back on a cruise ship and I had to change cabins. I wanted to take my things to the new cabin but the cabin steward told me the people were still in the cabin. It was already 9a.m. so I knocked on their door and it turned out to be some friends of mine who had over slept. I helped them pack their carry on things. The cabin steward was able to clean their cabin so I could move in.

We can stay on the ship until approx. 10:30a.m. til 11:00a.m. You will go through customs.

My advise is to let the ship take your large luggage to be picked up by you when you get off the ship. Make life easy on yourself. Make sure you have pre-printed your new luggage tags for the next ship.

You will have to walk to the next pier with your luggage if both ships are there on the same day. Or... do you have to wait one day before you board the next ship. I think there is pier 91 - 93.

If I am reading your signature correctly, you biggest issue will be getting from Grand at Pier 93 over to Crown at Pier 46, which is a mile or so away. There will be 3 ships in port that day, and Crown drew the short straw. NCL Star will be at 82, and of course the USS Iowa has moved in permanently to 91.

We have been advised by Princess that shuttles will be running from 46 to the parking lot at the World Cruise Ship center in the morning, but I don't know if they will be running in the afternoon. There's no overnight parking, so I imagine that they will.

Thank you for your reply. I have since found out, the Grand is returning to Berth 93, but, the Norgwegian Star will be in the next Pier. They have assigned the Crown to Berth 46, which is at the Outer Harbor, and they will have Princess shuttling myself and other arriving Crown passengers from the main terminal and parking for Pier 93, for check in over there. There now is no passenger parking over there, only employees, being built right now for future use. Check in will be in tents. I have just spent five hours on the phones (2) with Princess (for the most part, and World Cruise Center for Los Angeles) for the combined concensus and three ships in port has tested the memory of a lot of logistic personnel. Will have to carry own bags on bus and such to porters over there, but, not a problem.

Maybe this info can be of use to other cruisers!

p.s. thank you, too, critterchick, you answered while I was typing above and I wasn't advised by Princess or anyone that knew anything. I finally was instructed to call back on Friday for the final answer pertaining to carrying my mid-size luggage on the shuttle. Bon Voyage to you, too!

Edited by TravelDan99

We've decided to take a cab to and from the pier for the Crown cruise. DH works close by, so we'll park at his office and then on Monday hopefully we won't have to shuttle over to the main terminal to get a cab home.

And leave it to the powers that be to pick the ship with the most passengers to have the worst embarkation/disembarkation setup.

After seeing what can happen to luggage when two (or more) Princess ships are embarking passengers in the same area, on the same day, please be sure bags are correctly tagged. I almost would have felt like only taking what I could personally carry when I spoke with the gentleman who has the job of trying to catch luggage up with passengers who were on the "other" ship. He claimed it was more common than one might think, especially in San Pedro. We were on the tender returning from Catalina; he was transporting two larger pieces of luggage that had been put on the Golden when they should have been on the "other" ship. He had taken them ashore, under the impression they could be forwarded from Catalina to the other ship, which was headed for Mexico. He was bringing them back because there was no reasonable way to forward them from there. Next stop for the bags-Ensenada. I asked how much work he got to do and he told me he had plenty.

Just wanted to make your transfer less of a worry;)

I've sailed out of Pier 46 for a port stop on a Celebrity ship and it was a nice sailaway. The parking lot is huge, there's more than enough space for arriving vehicles and it's kind-of nice being off the beaten path for a different than the usual sail-away from LA. Enjoy!

A port stop is a whole lot different than embarking or disembarking. The huge parking lot isn't available to passengers - otherwise we would park there and take the Red Line to 92/93 for our embarkation so our car would be where we need it to be when we leave. I predict a cluster****.

A port stop is a whole lot different than embarking or disembarking. The huge parking lot isn't available to passengers - otherwise we would park there and take the Red Line to 92/93 for our embarkation so our car would be where we need it to be when we leave. I predict a cluster****.

I'm having nightmares about it already. I doubt we could find a cab to take us to 93 on debarkation morning, but I sure would rather do that than take the shuttle, and fight my way back along with everyone else to pick up my luggage and the rest of my party.

Thank you for this information! My group and I are also sailing on 2/2 on the Crown.

It sounds like it's going to be a real mess that morning!

Any recommendations for what time to show up that morning? My usual game plan is around 11am, now I'm thinking earlier to avoid huge crowds at the tent

Again thanks for heads up, I really would have been upset driving up going where's my ship? Lol