Jewel Questions - Reservations Needed for Complimentary Dining??

SummerSmiles

Hi - cruise newbie over here! I am sailing on the NCL Jewel next month and was exploring activities I can pre-book through the NCL site. I was surprised to see I'm able to pre-book dinner times for the complimentary dining areas (i.e. not the specialty restaurants that cost additional $). Is this necessary? I was under the impression that reservations and time commitments weren't required with the 'free-styling' concept. Or are reservations simply a recommendation? Could I be waiting awhile to be seated without a reserved time? Appreciate any and all insight! Thank you!

Hi - cruise newbie over here! I am sailing on the NCL Jewel next month and was exploring activities I can pre-book through the NCL site. I was surprised to see I'm able to pre-book dinner times for the complimentary dining areas (i.e. not the specialty restaurants that cost additional $). Is this necessary? I was under the impression that reservations and time commitments weren't required with the 'free-styling' concept. Or are reservations simply a recommendation? Could I be waiting awhile to be seated without a reserved time? Appreciate any and all insight! Thank you!

We cruised on the Jewel over Christmas and didn't make any reservations for the main dining rooms. We never had to wait either, and we always requested a table for 2.

The only time we did reservations (Jewel) for the main dinning room was the first night. It was just one thing we didn't have to worry about....but we never had to wait for a table the entire cruise.

Enjoy!

I can understand anybody wanting to make a reservation in the MDR for the first night as if the ship sails at say 6.00pm, there would likely be quite a number wanting their evening meal around 7.00pm to 7.30pm following the sailaway. However, if you do make an advance reservation for the MDR, is there any "penalty" if you change your mind

I can understand anybody wanting to make a reservation in the MDR for the first night as if the ship sails at say 6.00pm, there would likely be quite a number wanting their evening meal around 7.00pm to 7.30pm following the sailaway. However, if you do make an advance reservation for the MDR, is there any "penalty" if you change your mind

Good question...but I don't know the answer.

Any positive response from anybody?:)