Solo Cruising on the Jewel

texastennis

Has anyone travelled solo on the Jewel, and if so can you share your experience regarding dining, privacy, and your overall recommendations and suggestions?

What exactly are you wondering about the things you listed?

NCL ships do not differ a lot from each other experiencewise what comes to solo cruising, except the new megaships have studio cabins and a studio lounge that is also the gathering place for solo cruisers' gettogethers. Such events are arranged on all ships, just check the Freestyle Dailies for time/place if you are interested.

You can dine alone if you like or if you have friends/group/etc that you'd like to dine with, you can do that also. You can even ask to share a table when going to one of two MDRs, whether you will get anybody to share the table depends on if anybody else is looking to share around the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

OK. I've been away from the board for a while because of pressures of teaching and then coming down with pneumonia. My March cruise can't come quickly enough!

I do have some more specific questions since this is my first time sailing solo, and I just need some information about:

1. Wine. Does it make sense to bring my own bottle and how does that work at embarkation? Since I'm leaving from Texas, will they take my bottle and then bring it to me at a later time once we leave Texas waters? I was sort of of hoping to have my own relaxation libation when we leave port. I've been trying to nail this detail down.

2. The cost of wine on the ship. Will an OBC of $100.00 cover a glass of wine per evening for a 7-day cruise?

3. When is the best time to purchase an OBC? When I booked my cruise the OBC was not a part of the package as it appears to be now for some of the new offers. How will I know how much I have left of my OBC as I spend throughout the cruise?

4. Does anyone know about the a sauna or steam room in the fitness center?

5. I pre-paid my gratuities, but plan to have cash on hand for staff who do not treat me like a third wheel as a solo. For example, what would any of you recommend as a table gratuity for a great waiter at Cagneys? I don't want to appear cheap, and I also don't want to run out of money (is this a crazy question?)

6. If I want some quiet time to read, but not necessarily on my balcony, yet in a place where I can enjoy the water outside, where are some nice, out-of-the-way places on the Jewel that may not be overrun by kids? (Sorry if I've offended some parents, but I'm a teacher, and well...:)

7. Around what time do the room stewards make beds in the morning and turn down beds in the evening? Do not want to be caught unawares.

8. As a woman traveling solo, what are some security issues I should consider? How are the locks on the cabin doors?

9. My husband and daughter said that they want me to check in with them via e-mail once a day. Should I buy internet minutes, and can I connect from my I-Pad in my cabin or do I have go to the internet cafe?

10. Have the mini-suite TVs been updated? I read somewhere that they still have the old sets.

11. When is the spa tour to purchase the spa package, and how crowded is the spa during sea days?

I think that's all. Whew! Thanks to any of you who respond.

36 days and counting every minute!

Here is my experience from recent Jade cruise.

OK. I've been away from the board for a while because of pressures of teaching and then coming down with pneumonia. My March cruise can't come quickly enough!

I do have some more specific questions since this is my first time sailing solo, and I just need some information about:

1. Wine. Does it make sense to bring my own bottle and how does that work at embarkation? Since I'm leaving from Texas, will they take my bottle and then bring it to me at a later time once we leave Texas waters? I was sort of of hoping to have my own relaxation libation when we leave port. I've been trying to nail this detail down.

$15 corkage as many bottles as you want.

2. The cost of wine on the ship. Will an OBC of $100.00 cover a glass of wine per evening for a 7-day cruise?

easily - it will cover a four bottle package from memory, and they will put half empty bottles away for the next day

3. When is the best time to purchase an OBC? When I booked my cruise the OBC was not a part of the package as it appears to be now for some of the new offers. How will I know how much I have left of my OBC as I spend throughout the cruise?

why bother? put cash onto your account at GS. you can get an adhoc bill which will show how much OBC is left and what you've spent on

4. Does anyone know about the a sauna or steam room in the fitness center?

5. I pre-paid my gratuities, but plan to have cash on hand for staff who do not treat me like a third wheel as a solo. For example, what would any of you recommend as a table gratuity for a great waiter at Cagneys? I don't want to appear cheap, and I also don't want to run out of money (is this a crazy question?)

waiters are already partaking of your DSC - a few bucks extra wont harm

6. If I want some quiet time to read, but not necessarily on my balcony, yet in a place where I can enjoy the water outside, where are some nice, out-of-the-way places on the Jewel that may not be overrun by kids? (Sorry if I've offended some parents, but I'm a teacher, and well...:)

deck 14

7. Around what time do the room stewards make beds in the morning and turn down beds in the evening? Do not want to be caught unawares.

maybe 9-12 - evening maybe 7-9 although never seen them then

8. As a woman traveling solo, what are some security issues I should consider? How are the locks on the cabin doors?

doors are heavy steel and locks are fine

9. My husband and daughter said that they want me to check in with them via e-mail once a day. Should I buy internet minutes, and can I connect from my I-Pad in my cabin or do I have go to the internet cafe?

cabin is fine $55 for 100 mins plus various specials of add on for free eg 10 mins, 15 mins - I downloaded all my email and uploaded them all in less then a minute of connection, so do it a few times a day to stay in touch - Skype on ipad also works well

10. Have the mini-suite TVs been updated? I read somewhere that they still have the old sets.

jade had flat screens

11. When is the spa tour to purchase the spa package, and how crowded is the spa during sea days?

I think that's all. Whew! Thanks to any of you who respond.

main tip..........meet up with solos from your roll call say 6pm in a bar eg magnums on the first night, go to dinner with them, and arrange drinks for same time same place, and all decide then what to do that evening

36 days and counting every minute!

enjoy

1. You can bring your own bottle. You pay the $15 corkage when you board and you keep it with you. If you want to drink it in your room then I'd take a corkscrew.

2. $100 will certainly cover it. Alternatively, you could use the Viva Vino package to buy 4 bottles for about that amount. If you don't finish a bottle then they will store the remainder for you. If could also avoid you needing to carry your own on.

3. There is no particular need to purchase OBC, but it can be purchased online. Just go to guest services at any time to get an account summary.

5. There is no need to tip extra, but $5 would certainly be appreciated and you won't appear cheap.

6. There are some areas in the bar areas with big windows that would give you a view of the water. I remember watching birds flying alongside us from just outside Le Bistro on the Jade, which is a sister ship.

7. Not sure of the exact times, but I'd say around mid morning and early evening.

9. You can connect on your iPad from just about anywhere. For just checking your email it is probably worth paying by the minute. Login to download your mail and then sign out to write your reply offline. If you are just doing that then you will probably find it is cheaper than a package, but I'm not sure.