Newby Question

A CC member told me in another thread to ask my question here.

My first cruise will be very soon.

Still I wonder is it possible for me as a Dutch ( Netherlands ) citizen to book a European Cruise by a USA agent/online site.

I did my research and I have found some articles which say yes but some cruise lines as Holland America line says it's not allowed.

What's your experience ?

I haven't done this myself and it is something that I have also wondered about as US cruise lines, quoting in USD dollars tend to be much cheaper than the prices they offer to the UK market, although I was more interested in Caribbean cruises out of Florida. Anyway, for that reason I have read articles about this and the answer seems to be, yes, you can do it. It probably depends on the particular cruise line. I think some of them require a uS address, probably to send some kind of documents.

Hopefully, somebody will come on here with first hand experience.

The consensus on a popular UK cruise forum seems to be that it is difficult but not impossible to use an American TA to book a cruise from Europe (or from the UK at least).

Some, if not all cruise lines don't like it and I believe that Carnival absolutely forbid the practice.

You should also take into account that the quoted prices in the USA are often exclusive of tax which can level the field a little. The other concern seems to be about what might go wrong, and how a US TA would help as compared with your local TA.

Different customer protections are in place for different locations. The cruiselines have their rules to protect them. This can account for differences in the fares posted for different countries. Or even sometimes different States in the United States.

Whatever you decide, don't try to out-smart the computer or cruiseline, it could lead to your being denied boarding and you would not get a refund.

Still I wonder is it possible for me as a Dutch ( Netherlands ) citizen to book a European Cruise by a USA agent/online site.

I did my research and I have found some articles which say yes but some cruise lines as Holland America line says it's not allowed.

Some, if not all cruise lines don't like it and I believe that Carnival absolutely forbid the practice.
It depends on the cruise line. Some cruise lines allow it and others don't.

But it isn't true that "Carnival" absolutely forbids the practice. Some cruise lines in the Carnival group don't allow it, but when I last checked Carnival Cruise Line itself accepted bookings in the US from customers based in Europe.

Different customer protections are in place for different locations. The cruiselines have their rules to protect them. This can account for differences in the fares posted for different countries.
The different prices charged when booking in different countries may be partially due to different levels of customer protection.

However, this doesn't explain why some cruises are cheaper to book in Europe than they are in the US.

It also doesn't explain why the cruise line prohibits a European customer from choosing to book in the US, on US conditions and subject to US laws, US levels of customer protection, and the jurisdiction of the US courts.

It also doesn't explain why the cruise line prohibits certain customers residing in a European country from choosing to book in the US, but permits other customers residing in the same country to choose to book in the US.

Holland America Line doesn't allow to book a cruise using there USA site.

When I take a look at Norwegian then I"ll will be directed directly to the EU site.

But using a IP blocker I'm on the USA site but they asked you the country off residency.

Because the euro is at this time the same as the USA Dollar I'll won't take the risk.

Denied at boarding there are a lot articles wrote about this.

Some of them says they can't never deny you others says yes.

My first Cruise which is coming up with costa cruises is a bargain 199 euro for 7 days and yes in the afternoon it has been still avaible.

So I'm looking forward to it and I think I can't go wrong with this.:D

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't done this myself and it is something that I have also wondered about as US cruise lines, quoting in USD dollars tend to be much cheaper than the prices they offer to the UK market, although I was more interested in Caribbean cruises out of Florida. Anyway, for that reason I have read articles about this and the answer seems to be, yes, you can do it. It probably depends on the particular cruise line. I think some of them require a uS address, probably to send some kind of documents.

Hopefully, somebody will come on here with first hand experience.

I read recently that yes, as long as you are cruising from US. that is all I know.

Holland America Line doesn't allow to book a cruise using there USA site.

When I take a look at Norwegian then I"ll will be directed directly to the EU site.

But using a IP blocker I'm on the USA site but they asked you the country off residency.

Because the euro is at this time the same as the USA Dollar I'll won't take the risk.

Denied at boarding there are a lot articles wrote about this.

Some of them says they can't never deny you others says yes.

My first Cruise which is coming up with costa cruises is a bargain 199 euro for 7 days and yes in the afternoon it has been still avaible.

So I'm looking forward to it and I think I can't go wrong with this.:D

Yes the cruise line can deny you onto the ship if you were to book incorrectly. They will know your residency when you show yur passport information.

Yes the cruise line can deny you onto the ship if you were to book incorrectly. They will know your residency when you show yur passport information.

Sorry to contradict you twice in quick succession ;), but a passport won't show residency, only nationality.

Theoretically within the rules of some cruise lines an American living in Europe can't book thro' a US agency, and a Brit living in the US can.

But I'd be wary of bucking the comparatively-new rules of some cruise lines that only allow N American residents to book thro a US agency.

There are other pros & cons to using a US agency, but much of the saving has been dissipated over the years by changing currency exchange rates.

JB :)

We did it a few years ago. The price of a European Princess cruise was 4.5x more expensive on a German website than on the American ones, even when taking exchange rates and taxes in account. You do need a US address, we used that of a friend. Since it was a last-minute booking, no documents were sent in the mail. We even paid with a German creditcard, no questions were asked. If you are a complete newbie to cruising, I would not do it though, too many pitfalls. Also keep in mind, that not all cruises are cheaper in the US. Comparing is the key.

And sometimes you have to book abroad: if a Dutchman wants to book a Costa cruise direct with Costa, their callcentre is in Belgium. We had great fun with that: a Dutchman and an Englishman in Holland and a Dutchman and an Englishwoman in Germany want to cruise together, so the Englishman in Holland rings the Belgian callcentre to make one booking for all. Yep, that was possible, but the whole cruise we got all the paperwork in our cabin in French because they thought we were Belgians.....

John Bull is right. Passport info does not prove a thing about your residency. Even if a passport is issued in a certain country, it does not mean you still live there or ever have. We live in Germany, I am British and my partner has a dutch passport which was issued in Prague. We never lived in the Czech Republic, but that is where his nearest embassy is.

We live in the UK but have had no problem booking with TAs in both Australia, for a HAL cruise from Sydney to Auckland , and the U.S. for a European cruise.

It is worth a try, as cruises booked in the UK and possibly the Netherlands often seem exorbitant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi y'all,

I am a German citizen with permanent residence in the US. My parents, who accompany us on cruises very frequently, are obviously German citizens as well, but do not reside here in the States. I must have booked 30+ cruises for them and their friends through an online agency departing from the US and Europe and we have never ever had a problem. Honestly it never even occured to me that there might be a problem lurking somewhere. The cruise line is always aware that my parents are not US citizens nor residents, because we have to give them passport and residency info for the online check in. The only thing my family can not purchase is travel protection. It is for US citizens and residents only! But they always found an insurance company in Germany that will cover them. I hope, that I just didn't get lucky.....

Regards

Petra