Cruisin to Bermuda

vacaylover927

Hi all !!

So excited to have finally booked a Norwegian cruise to Bermuda!! wooo :D:D:D

I guess now come the questions!!! lol

1) Anyone sailed the Norwegian Breakaway? Any tips? Any tips not known to the common man (lol)?

2) What special items can i bring on the ship? (ex. water, wine?)

3) Any activities we absolutely should NOT miss?

4) Any shows we absolutely should NOT miss?

5) Bermuda excursion ideas?

Anything and everything is appreciated, even links to previous posts/threads (can you tell i like to do my hw) :)

Thanks for helping me plan!!

Excited!!!

Hi all !!

So excited to have finally booked a Norwegian cruise to Bermuda!! wooo :D:D:D

I guess now come the questions!!! lol

1) Anyone sailed the Norwegian Breakaway? Any tips? Any tips not known to the common man (lol)?

2) What special items can i bring on the ship? (ex. water, wine?)

3) Any activities we absolutely should NOT miss?

4) Any shows we absolutely should NOT miss?

5) Bermuda excursion ideas?

Anything and everything is appreciated, even links to previous posts/threads (can you tell i like to do my hw) :)

Thanks for helping me plan!!

Excited!!!

1) Just go with the flow. Exploring is a lot of the fun of cruising in the Breakaway. Freestyle is all about doing what you want, when you want.

2)Not going to get into the debate of what you can/can't bring aboard. But, the best thing we did was book during one of the dining and alcohol inclusive packages. Ours was included when we booked a suite last June. But, I see the promo is back right now. Well worth it. Those packages you don't need to bring anything with you on board.

3) Don't miss the shows....Cirque, Burn the Floor, Rock of Ages, Fat Cats late at night....

4) See above....

5) Just get a 2 or 3 day pass for the buses and water taxis. We found plenty to do just traveling on the public buses. All the beaches are within walking distance from the bus stops, too. Hamilton has a little festival the first night you dock. It's small but fun. You can walk to it from the ship.

Have fun!

At the top of the page you will see "see posts about..." and you can click on Norwegian Breakaway. That will bring you to lots of threads regarding the ship. Definitely read the cruising with gambee thread that the above poster mentioned. Also, join your roll call! There you will meet other people on the same cruise as you and make connections before you even set sail. There is a Roll Call Tool at the top of the page in the yellow bar to help you find yours. HAVE FUN!!!! For me, the pre-cruise planning is half the fun :)

We got off the ship at the Royal Dock Yard and there were taxis all around. This old buck offered to to give us a 8 hour island tour. We get to see all the sight and do some shopping. It sounded really good. The rate didn't sound bad either, if we had another couple with us we could split the cost.

Well we didn't do it, we had a excursion booked for later in the day. Lo and behold our other excursion was cancelled. Now we ended up doing nothing. I will not pre-book excursions in Bermuda from then on. So many choises right from the pier.

Don't miss the museum right to the right when you get off the dock. It is interesting and has bottle nose dophins swimming around. I been to Bermuda many times and never went. I will go there from now on, just to visit the dolphins. Other than the price of admission to the meuseum it doesn't cost anything to sit and watch the dolphins and the big sea turtle.

Edited by NH Cruisers

1)

5) Just get a 2 or 3 day pass for the buses and water taxis. We found plenty to do just traveling on the public buses. All the beaches are within walking distance from the bus stops, too. Hamilton has a little festival the first night you dock. It's small but fun. You can walk to it from the ship.

Have fun!

I am all for getting the transportation pass! You can go all over the island on your own. You can use the ferries and the busses.

However, the post above is not accurate. It would be a very L O N G walk into Hamilton from Dockyard.

Perhaps for festivals, the poster meant "Destination Dockyard" and not "Hamilton Nights."

I did not have any excursions planned so my son and I decided to just see what there was to do in the royal dock yard and e fed up doing a jet ski tour that was on our left when we got off the ship. It was one of the best things we ever did. Incredible fun and great memories for my son and I. I wish I remembered the name of the company or tour guide but it was a year and a half ago. Highly recommend doing a jet ski your though! Have fun!

We've been to Bermuda a few times....it's our favorite place to go....we never book ship excursions because there is so much to do on your own that we never find ourselves bored....

There is a glass bottom boat tour near the ship....we did that once and it was only $20 (I think the price changes due to time of year, and crowd)...it was worth it....we've also done the Gosling Rum cruise, also recommended if you like to get a little buzz while touring the beautiful homes on the private islands ;)

We usually take the water taxi over to St George for a day....it's a beautiful little town (although most of the stores have left since ships don't dock over there anymore)....but there is still a lot to do there....the little train tour around town is fabulous....gives you a lot of the history there....Tobacco bay is our favorite beach....small and lagoon like.... much preferred over the southern beaches (horseshoe, etc)....

We just booked the Breakaway in June....we've never gone to Bermuda in June...so this will be new for us...

I am determined to make it over to St Davids and turtle bay this time...

Edited by AnitaVacation

Where is the zoo and aquarium?

It's in/near Flatts Village...the bus stops right in front....we usually take the ferry to Hamilton and catch the bus to the Aquarium/zoo/museum and when we are done, we hop back on the bus and continue on to St George for the day...then you can take the ferry back from St George to the Dockyard....(the ferry is a lot faster than the bus....but it doesn't run in bad weather)

I've cruised the Breakaway 3 times & can tell you that you'll love this ship...and you'll also love Bermuda as others here have noted.

Because I'm a beach girl I highly recommend a day at Horseshoe Bay Beach...I think it's the #7 bus from the Dockyard.

Also, last September I found ( for the first time) a terrific day pass opportunity at Coco Reef...google them...it was $59 for the entire use of their beach, right next to Elbow Beach, plus their pool, plus lunch with wine (the fries were to die for), plus towels.

I hope you have a great time!

We went to Bermuda last September on BA and my DH's #1 tip would be to stay on the ship when everyone else is rushing to get off and enjoy the water park for an hour or so. :D. We went up to the slides about 10am and there were only 2 other people there! It was great. No wait at all!

Linda

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Be sure to find out what days the street festivals occur. There is one in St. George and one in Hamilton. Definitely go to the aquarium...best deal on the island. Plan to eat on the boat. Food is VERY expensive on the island, as is everything else. Buy a 2/3 day bus pass. It is worth it. Don't waste your time at glass beach. It is just a bunch of broken bottles. Make sure you visit St. George! They have a great perfumery and other interesting places to visit. Do not rent a moped/scooter! They are dangerous and the locals driving them are crazy. Lots to do at Bermuda. It is like an upscale Bahamas.

We went to Bermuda last September on BA and my DH's #1 tip would be to stay on the ship when everyone else is rushing to get off and enjoy the water park for an hour or so. :D. We went up to the slides about 10am and there were only 2 other people there! It was great. No wait at all!

Linda

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's funny, my sister and I already said that the morning we dock in Bermuda, we will have a leisurely breakfast, then take the kids up to the water park while everyone is in a rush to get off the ship. We will enjoy the water park area for a while, and the pools, then shower and change, have lunch and then go ashore. Then we still have plenty of time on the island!

Love Breakaway and Bermuda! We went to Horseshoe Bay, Hamilton, and St. George's. We used the public transportation --- buses and ferry were clean, safe and easy to use.

We would explore in the morning and enjoy the beautiful ship in the afternoon. Love being in Bermuda for 3 days!