Tipping on NCLA

honestguy

No one in the US can responsibly support children on 6.50 an hour. NO ONE. Ya might eat..live in very substandard housing, but ya must be getting child support, food stamps or help from Mom and Dad.

I cruised NCL-the Spirit in July -05. I do not like the freestyle way of cruising. It has been three years since I cruised this last one. I have only cruised RC, and hubby has cruised several times more than me..with Princess and RC. I always felt like the crew on RC were happy we were there. The staff on NCL were attempting to be polite but I knew their working conditions were awful. What good does working on a cruise ship do for you when you work like a dog? It must be a dismal way to make a living. Of corse the only ones happy are from foreign countries when this job is still a step up for them. I am not a genius but I am a working person and I told my hubby while on the boat "I wonder how many of these people would like to pee in our coffee"? So it is obvious NCL has a problem. I have posted elsewhere I didn't like their food..I won't belabor the point..

It isn't right that the cruise line expects customers to tip so that their people make a decent wage..I always am a generous tipper. But I did not like the forced 10.00 per day (I wasn't aware one could get out of it, but I would have anyway, feeling sorry for my room attendants) I would rather choose who I would like to tip myself. But I do know some people are just greedy and will not tip even when one deserves it. So I guess their are two sides to the story.

I don't plan on sailing NCL again.

Big companies aren't in the business of paying non-skilled work decent money. For many people from outside the U.S. this is still a big chance to get ahead. But if the ship has to hire primarily U.S. workers the quality of staff they will get directly reflects upon the pay they can offer. As to the business owner saying $100-$200 / week for a single individual is decent money, I'm sorry but if this was me I would be embarassed to tell the world I pay single mothers $6.50 an hour and think they can live reasonably on it? I suppose as a business owner you should be congratulated for your "savy" (sorry I wanted to use a different word but chose not to be harsh) but as a humanitarian it stinks. Sounds to me like your just profiting off of unskilled labor who doesn't have much choices or chances to improve their lifestyle...and your perfectly fine with keeping them down there. Mind if I ask what your profit margin was for your business last year?

I am not the business owner, I am the store manager. However, while our owner makes a decent living, he gives alot back to his employees and the community. My employees are like family. They receive alot of benefits that others don't get- but it is very difficult to pay higher wages while trying to compete with the Wal-marts of the world.

Many of my employees do receive other types of assistance, most are not primarily living off the wage they receive here.

I am saddened that you judged me so harshly without knowing me or the whole situation and I will not go into it on a public forum that is supposed to be about cruising. Now that this thread has moved way off topic, I will end my participation in it.

Thanks to Honestguy for starting what was a good discussion. I hope things go well for you in the future. :)

I guess you have never sailed on Holland America then? HAL always sections off a part of the Lido Restaurant during certain hours for the staff/officers to eat. I have NO problem with it.

Ernie

I wouldn't mine crew eating in the public areas but when a ship (Pride of America) can't feed their paying customers in a proper fashion, keep the crew out until they can get it right. No I haven't cruised on Holland American yet, but hope to when I get a little older. From what I hear they cater to a more refined type of customer. Looking forward to it.

Tom

Archived