Dark skies stargazing in Bora Bora

Mezzaluna

We'll be overnighting soon on Oceania Marina at Bora Bora when the moon is very new, so the sky will be quite dark. The chance to see that many stars has been on my bucket list for a very long time.

Can anyone suggest how best to get away from the port and enjoy the celestial show? My husband and I also have concerns about safety; a known tour operator or guide would be preferred.

When we were there on Marina in March we met persons who went to the hotels with a day passes. You could check some hotel websites to see what is offered.

There should be a contact for the 'Concierge' at the St.R & F.S which are the more upscale of the hotels.

We dealt with Philip Blot from http://www.moanaadventuretours.com for our Bora Bora excursions. He has a sunset tour and many other excursions.

Thank you for the lead. I've contacted Moana tours and await a response. I have no idea of what a reasonable price for a 2-hour or so private tour would be. Can you give me some idea? We've never done anything like this before.

You will be just fine on the ship. Bring binoculars!

You might get lucky also as I have seem on some ships, officers roaming the decks with some cool stargazing periphinalia

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by twin123185

You can indeed easily view the skies from the ship, but if you want to venture on shore, as OP mentioned, there are a few fun options. These can easily cost from 100.US PerP/ Perhour and more. Philip will include a full price list of excursions with his response. Good luck & clear skies;)

Merci, canuk.qc. We're hoping to get enough WiFi signal to use the Google Sky app, too. That would be great, as we won't recognize the constellations that far south. I thought the ship's lighting would be too bright at night for seeing much of the sky, so I assumed we'd need to get off the ship to see much of anything. For $100 US pp, I hope I'm wrong! But if that's what it takes to do this, that's what we'll do. :rolleyes:

No response from Philip as yet.