Name of beach at PdC?

Cotton

Maybe this has been asked and answered, but I haven't been able to find it....

Is there a "name" for the public beach at the downtown area of PdC? I didn't go to the beach there last cruise, but might do it this trip. Are there lounge chairs and palapas or umbrellas available? ANY info on this would be appreciated.

THX.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Hmmmm. 14 clicks on this and nobody has a clue?

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

• 3 weeks later...

It may not have an official name. Could it be Playa Del Carmen beach? We were there last June and I don't remember seeing a sign anywhere with the name on it.

Carnival Celebration - March 2002

Carnival Conquest - March 2003

Carnival Celebration - June 2003

Grand Princess - April 2005

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, Bob! Thank you so much for those two sites. I've searched all over, and those are the two best I've seen for PdC. You're my hero!!!:) (If we were there at the same time, I'd just HAVE to buy you a drink!)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kim. Yep, not much info around. I'm still trying to find out the name of a restaurant somebody mentioned awhile back. It's supposedly ON the beach at PdC, has 'anchors' in front of it, and sounds wonderful. Seems you can sit, eat and/or drink (reasonably priced), and enjoy looking out at the ocean from all tables.

This, by far, has my most disappointing port of any cruise I've been on. So, I thought if I could locate that restaurant, it wouldn't be a total loss next cruise.:rolleyes: When's your next one? Going on the Conquest again, or another ship?

Not sure... we're taking the kids this time (14, 16 and 17), and I just cant make up my mind between the Conquest again, or the Sensation in November... leaning towards the Sensation, that's why I'm looking into PDC, is it really a wasted port day? on the Conquest, I loved MoBay, but DH hated it. He loved GC, and I hated it. Cozumel was great for both of us, so that's ok either way... DH says if we go back on the Conquest, we won't get off in MoBay w/ the kids ... so... unless I hear bad about PDC it will most likely be the Sensation in Nov...

Have you been to PDC before? Are there at least enough shops there to spend part of a day walking around looking? We want to take the kids to Paradise Beach in Cozumel... unless there's a great beach in PDC?

Thanks!

Kim

Yep, I've been to PdC. OK, first thing is that you'll dock at Calica, which is a really ugly rock quarry - nothing there except, duh, rocks. Well, there are about a half dozen tents of pushy vendors, and a very long line of cabs. Just ignore everything and go for the cab. To downtown PdC is $10.

The town itself is not that small, has one lonnnnng main street and several side streets. TONS of shops. I did feel that some of the shopkeepers were a bit pushy, and even rude, following me into the street. (I don't like that!) I went into one shop that I actually liked! They had the usual souveniers, but also GROCERIES. This was kinda fun, and I bought several things I thought my mother would get a kick out of. A small jar of Blue Plate mayo, Nabisco crackers, Tom's peanuts......all in Spanish, of course. (She DID like them, and I'm sure she had a fun show-and-tell with her buddies.):D

There is a small park area near the beach, which was kinda pretty. They were doing a LOT of renovation, tree trimming, etc., and I had to watch that I didn't step into a pothole on the sidewalks or streets. Hopefully, they're done with all that by now!? I realize they're TRYING to improve, since they haven't been a port-of-call for very long....but....

The public beach looked nice, but I didn't notice any chairs, etc. I didn't venture further than just glancing down that way. Then, I headed back to the ship. I think I was there for about two hours, total. Long enough.

Now I will say this...to be fair.....I've seen several threads on here about folks enjoying their trips to one of the pay beach areas...Xcaret? Not sure of the name. Check around and see if you can find posts about that. It may be something y'all would enjoy......?

OK, that's all. PdC 101.:D

Oh, I'll be going back November 1 on the Sensation. I may or may not get off the ship there, but then again, I may go try to find that restaurant. Who knows?

Archived