CCL excursion- Caverns by Jeep & Beach Combo

Jaxgal

Seems to me that this excursion will take you to the mainland. I don't know of any caverns on Cozumel. If it is a mainland excursion, it will be a full day. The caves/caverns on the mainland are pretty interesting. Try a google search on "cenote"

• 4 weeks later...

We just did this excursion last week (Valor 9/18) and had a blast! The tour guides were hilarious, probably the funniest guides we had for anything all week. We took the ferry to the mainland, walked a couple blocks to pick up the jeeps (4 people per jeep, we went with another couple so it worked out perfectly) and drove to the caverns. I didn't watch how long the drive was but we caravaned about ten jeeps and it was a nice drive. The caverns were great, it was so hot and humid that swimming in the cooler underground cavern was awesome! A guide pointed out various rock formations and showed us some bones underwater and bats overhead. (No, the bats did not fly around and bother us. You wouldn't even know they were there if the guide didn't point them out.) Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the park/cavern system at the moment.

We then took a longer drive along the highway to a private beach where we had an excellent mexican food buffet lunch and lounged in the sun for a little less than two hours. The drive back to the ferry was shorter and the sunset we watched from the ferry back to Cozumel was incredible! If you get a chance sit on the top deck in the back for the best views, I took a million pictures!

Our tour met at 11:30 just off the Valor and all said we were back on the ship at 7pm. It worked out perfectly to go get showered and cleaned up and then go out on the town for dinner and drinks in Cozumel.

All jeeps are stick shift, no automatic, and you must bring your driver's license with you. The only warning (which perhaps should have been obvious in retrospect) is that they don't allow ANYONE to drink alcohol during the excursion. Since you are driving their jeeps and they don't know who will drive and they want them returned in one piece this made sense. I missed having a beer on the beach in the afternoon, but it really wasn't that big of a deal and wouldn't stop me from taking this trip again. This was a great way to spend a day!!!! :D

• 2 months later...

My friends and I did this on the 11/26 Triumph sailing. I agree that that guides were great!! Very friendly and humorous. I can't remember the main guide's name at the moment, but the other was Charlie. We never did get to Cozumel because this excursion was on Playa Del Carmen and we were tendered directly there. But, probably just as well considering the devestation in Cozumel and the tendering situation there sounded a bit chaotic on the return trip. We enjoyed the Caverns by Jeep excursion.

we are booked for this excursion (Miracle 12/18/05). Its the only excursion we booked through Carnival and by the sounds of it I am glad we did. Sounds like a lot could go wrong with all these differant types of transportation. Wouldn't want the boat leaving without us. CAN'T WAIT!!

Archived