Explorer of the seas - refurbishment

Hi

There have been some horrible tweets this last week about the ship being dirty, staff being rude, 90 minute waits between courses in the Dining Room and food being inedible. It's seriously stressing me out. Is this a true reflection or is it just moaning?

Can I also ask, what is the earliest time for disembarkation, please? I am flying at 10am from Southampton Airport.

Thank you for your help.

Sadly we found instances of all you mention with the exception of it being dirty ( but it was improving as the cruise progressed) 6.15am was the earliest disembarkation

Hi

There have been some horrible tweets this last week about the ship being dirty, staff being rude, 90 minute waits between courses in the Dining Room and food being inedible. It's seriously stressing me out. Is this a true reflection or is it just moaning?

Can I also ask, what is the earliest time for disembarkation, please? I am flying at 10am from Southampton Airport.

Thank you for your help.

I heard that there was a problem with Mytime dining and that there were long waits between courses. I also understand that this was sorted out. We had late dining and have to say that the food and service was better than it has been for a couple of years.

Ship being dirty - all I can say is that if you really looked you may have found a speck of dust. My opinion is that is wasn't dirty.

Staff being rude - not my experience at all. What I will say is that the bars were very full in the evening and if you was on late sitting you had no chance of finding a seat in any of the bars. There was also limited bar servers walking around so the bar area was always crowded however the servers behind the bar were very good at serving people quickly.

We got off at 6.50am this morning. If you are prepared to take your own luggage off you can get off from 6.30am.

Don't get me wrong, there were faults and issues that need looking at but none were holiday shattering.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jaz33

Hi

Thank you for your help.

Some of the tweets you saw were probably mine regarding our first night in the dining room second seating... yes it was awful.. we didn't get a starter or a drink until 9.45pm.. and when the food did come out it was cold and we never got a second drink.. it was nearly midnight by the time we left the dining room.

BUT it was fine for the rest of the cruise and our 2 waiters were absolutely amazing so i think it was just down to the first night back and issues after their dry dock.

I did hear loads of complaints from others about food, any time dining waiting periods etc but that was our only complaint.

we had lots of other minor issues with being overcharged for things, rude staff at guest services, grumpy waiters etc.. i wouldn't have said the ship was dirty but the attention to detail was not the same as we have experienced in the past... for example the tables up in the sky bar were always dirty and the dust on the base of them was never cleaned.. I would agree with there no longer being enough staff.. we would go a whole evenings without being able to get a waiters attention.. and tables weren't being cleared of glasses.

But if you are going on the ship soon definitely visit the star lounge in the evening because the new horizon band are amazing and the ice show was outstanding.

I will be writing a full review asap

Thank you all so much for your comments. Very helpful.

I don't expect perfection, but good manners and cleanliness (when you are paying a lot of money for a once a year holiday) is not a lot to ask. RC sound like they need to get their act together. Hopefully it will be sorted by July.

I look forward to the reviews. :)

We have just returned and despite issues we had a great time.

The refit felt rushed and constantly staff/engineers were doing things that probably should have been done in dry dock like painting, cutting and replacing the floors. Our room was deck 6 right at the front, very disappointed with the room as engineering work started most days from 6 waking us and into the night keeping us up.

We found main dining slow and often cold, the windjammer food was always warm and good when with little ones. We ate at Johnny Rockets and Chops and had excellent meals.

The majority of staff were great except a few (in my opinion) from guest services who had maybe had enough and were short and rude.

The tills on the boat must be confusing for staff as I was forever over charged or duplicated including some medicine from the medical centre being charged 13 times??

My little boy got covered in black soot on the first day with his hands lower on the rails than grow ups but after a few days the boat got cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it went down well so they moved it to explorer? I didn't go and see it so don't know how good it was

We saw it last year on the adventure and enjoyed it so went and saw it again on saturday on the explorer and its now a different girl performing and in my opinion she was slightly better too :) worth a watch..

I would avoid the juggler if you have him.. awful and cringy

I found several items other than seafood, such as beef and chicken. Also, the new Hibachi option adds more choice.

Hi, what were the A La Carte prices for the Izumi? And was it worth it?

Thanks Belinda

We saw it last year on the adventure and enjoyed it so went and saw it again on saturday on the explorer and its now a different girl performing and in my opinion she was slightly better too :) worth a watch..

I would avoid the juggler if you have him.. awful and cringy

I have told my husband, that when they have a juggler on a ship as the entertainment, I am NOT going to that show. Seen way to many and know I don't enjoy them. Give me a mediocre magician -- that is even better than ANY juggler.

I have told my husband, that when they have a juggler on a ship as the entertainment, I am NOT going to that show. Seen way to many and know I don't enjoy them. Give me a mediocre magician -- that is even better than ANY juggler.

I agree!! We had an act called "Chicks and tricks" two girls performing magic and they were pretty good... basic stuff but fun to watch. The juggler in my opinion needs to take up a new profession as honestly he barely got a laugh and we were all cringing.... i felt really bad for him.

I would rather spend my evenings in the star lounge with "Horizon" the band they are awesome! Could barely get a seat in there most nights though..

Thank you Clarea, we are going on the EOTS in June and have booked the Izumi as my daughter loves Sushi. Are you booked to sail on the explorer?

No, unfortunately I currently have no cruises booked on Explorer. We were on her this past December for a Southern Caribbean cruise and had a very enjoyable cruise.

...Sad about :-

loss of nightclub (deck 3) - deck space on deck 12 - I like to sunbathe on deck 12 forward as quieter than around pool and I refuse to get up at crack of dawn to get bed in solarium, this space no longer exists due to new cabins (may just have to lie out on balcony more .

On Navigator, there was even more forward deck space, just now it's one deck further up, on top of the new cabins.

IMO, with that much space up there, they ought to have done an Oasis style solarium and freed up the existing solarium to be a kids area.

How formal are the formal nights, please?

I believe there are 3 on a 2 week cruise. Should we take 3 outfits or do people wear the same outfit 3 times? What is the expectation, please? Do most people go for one full on event and the rest are half (can't be bothered) events? Don't want to use my luggage allowance on 3 nights out!!!!

Thanks.

How formal are the formal nights, please?

I believe there are 3 on a 2 week cruise. Should we take 3 outfits or do people wear the same outfit 3 times? What is the expectation, please? Do most people go for one full on event and the rest are half (can't be bothered) events? Don't want to use my luggage allowance on 3 nights out!!!!

Thanks.

Honestly, if you wore the same outfit for all 3 formal nights I think the only person who would notice would be you! I would probably take two outfits and wear one twice.

If you're sailing from the UK, then formal nights are great! A lot of people make an effort and will stay in formal wear all night long, whereas (I believe) on US sailings, a lot of people will change back into casual wear after dinner.

For us, it's part of cruising. We don't often get the chance to dress up so much at home so make the most of it.

Thank you.

I think what confused me was the photos from the Explorer in the US that looked really casual. Do the ladies normally go for maxi dresses or cocktail dresses?

I have only been on one 7 day Med cruise before. No effort was made on the second evening, so we felt ridiculous and out of place. Trying to avoid looking daft!