Eating ashore, recommendations pls for ISP, Kodiak, Homer

CowPrincess

I think I have finally committed to the 14 day HAL Alaska cruise :D Finally, after many years of wanting to do it, but not.....

DH will probably join me. We both love food. Would love some recommendations for anyplace you've enjoyed in these ports. Food truck? Hole in the wall? Shack at the dock? Or the "finest" restaurant in town?

Seafood would be our first choice, but we are open to any and all suggestions. We are adventurous eaters, but not every meal has to be an adventure :eek: :D

Thanks in advance!

Woo-hoo, CP! You finally bit the bullet - SO happy for you:D! You know I'm a huge cheerleader for this cruise itinerary (having done it 3 times), I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Now, to the question at hand. I've eaten all two times at Misty Bay Lodge in ISP (after our whale watch) and loved it. Friends raved about the halibut pizza. Last time I had their seafood chowder followed by a huge cone of homemade salmonberry ice cream. DELICIOUS! They have all kinds of sandwiches, soups, salads, and platters to choose from. Just a small hole-in-the-wall place in downtown Hoonah, so you'd need to either walk along the paved path to town from the cruise port, or get there as a result of an excursion. There is also a small seafood 'shack' on the pier at the ISP pier where they served Tracy's Crab Shack items including seafood chowder, monster crab legs, etc.

Kodiak - In 2011, we ate at a local bar near the waterfront, and for the life of me, I cannot recall the name - though there are only one or two, so it sholdn't be hard to find. It is right downtown by the harbor. Food was very good - I had fish and chips - they were fresh and memorable!:p

Homer - Ah, Homer....hopefully will be my retirement home someday;). Gotta try Captain Paddy's on the Homer Spit. Fantastic fish and chips, fresh halibut, clams and Kachemak Bay oysters, salmon chowder - you name it. If its seafood you want - this is the place. Try to get a table by the water.

Though you didn't ask and I know you've been to Ketchikan many times, if you haven't yet - try the Burger Queen, right by the tunnel. Probably the best fish and chips we had on our entire trip. You can even order at Burger Queen, then go across the street to the Happy Bear bar and enjoy your food at their outdoor picnic tables right on the pier, delivered to you hot and fresh. Wonderful milk shakes as well - yum! Quite an experience.

Do enjoy your trip - I know you've been looking forward to sailing this itinerary for many years. Wish I was going on this journey with you so we could finally meet in person. Happy Alaska sailing, my friend.

AIP, thanks for the info and the good wishes :D I spent last night re-reading your 2014 trip report :D

Would be awesome if you were going; DH may join me (seeing as it'd be a free cruise for him as I am paying the 100% single supp).

Based on your recommendation I'm going to try to get seat(s) on the Misty Bay whale watch :)

I am sure I'll have more questions as I move forward with my planning. So "I'll be seeing you" ;) (not the Gilligan's Island theme ;) )