Wonder: baby monitor and Wifi

sampup333

Hi, we are travelling on the Wonder in adjoining rooms with four parents and 4 children (ages 21 months - 6). I have three questions:

1. Baby monitors - has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with taking a video baby monitor on board so you can see into the room from the balcony or the adjoining room (this would be to keep an eye on the sleeping toddler)?

2. Wifi - I know there are packages available, but is it also available as pay-as- you-go? We will need to use it to check in 24 hours before our Southwest flight home (our Castaway Cay day). Does anyone have any tips on the best way to handle Southwest check-in on the ship?

3. Beds - Does anyone have any input on whether a pack-n-play versus the convertible sofa would be better for a small 21 month old? I assume this depends on the particular child and think we will do better with the pack-n-play, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, we are travelling on the Wonder in adjoining rooms with four parents and 4 children (ages 21 months - 6). I have three questions:

1. Baby monitors - has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with taking a video baby monitor on board so you can see into the room from the balcony or the adjoining room (this would be to keep an eye on the sleeping toddler)?

2. Wifi - I know there are packages available, but is it also available as pay-as- you-go? We will need to use it to check in 24 hours before our Southwest flight home (our Castaway Cay day). Does anyone have any tips on the best way to handle Southwest check-in on the ship?

3. Beds - Does anyone have any input on whether a pack-n-play versus the convertible sofa would be better for a small 21 month old? I assume this depends on the particular child and think we will do better with the pack-n-play, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

If you could name the brand of your baby monitor it would help as some brands have a stronger signal than others.

Is the baby monitor battery operated or does it need to be plugged in?

If it needs to be plugged in, transmitter and receiver you may have a problem on the balcony with the receiver, but also unless the transmitter is within reach of an outlet in the Stateroom.

Extension cords and power strips are not allowed on board unless for medical purposes.

The glass verandah doors should not cause any problems as you will be within feet of each other.

Also if the signal is poor between Staterooms, if you can open the door between them, that will help.

DCL do offer Pay-As-You-Go internet packages. They are $0.25 per Mb.

Unless your email is not set to download all new emails and their contents once you connect to it, and you have the web address saved already, the 100Mb package at $19.00 might be better and save you money.

Those Phamacuitical spam emails could cost you a lot for them to come through!

Here's the internet packages available:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/

Sorry I can't help as to whether a pack and pay is better or worse than the sofa bed. All I know if the sofa bed does not have rail's head to foot. Only partial.

HTH's!

ex techie

Thanks, Ex Techie. The transmitter does have to be plugged in. It is a Summer Infant monitor.

One more question (well, one more for now): What is the best way to play music in the stateroom? Having lullabies on will likely help our children get to sleep. I thought I read something about an iPod docking station in the rooms, but that it is for the old iPods. Again we are on the Wonder and we leave this week, so it is doubtful we will have a "refreshed" room.

Thanks, Ex Techie. The transmitter does have to be plugged in. It is a Summer Infant monitor.

One more question (well, one more for now): What is the best way to play music in the stateroom? Having lullabies on will likely help our children get to sleep. I thought I read something about an iPod docking station in the rooms, but that it is for the old iPods. Again we are on the Wonder and we leave this week, so it is doubtful we will have a "refreshed" room.

The iPod connector is on the clock in the room. Yes, it's the "old" 30 pin connector. If you want to use that, you'll need an adapter cord from the new iPod to the old iPod type. Even the Dream & Fantasy have the old connectors.

This was on the Wonder:

m7q6id.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

Shmoo is correct,

The docking stations on DCL are the "old" type 30 pin wide connector for use with the pre Lighting connector on iPhones and iPods.

If you have a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable, there is a good chance you can use the TV to play the lullabies by plugging in and selecting the right input on the TV.

The Stateroom host will likely not help you with this, but it is possible!

(Shmoo I know, please do not post the DCL garb)

Two other options.

Is the speaker on an iPad or iPhone sufficiently good or loud enough for the songs?

Also DCL DO NOT prohibit you bringing your own sound dock onboard, so IF you have one you use and can bring, then you are free to do so.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
Web Address

Also, some of the balcony rooms on the Wonder have partially removable doors to "link" the balconies.

Would the baby in the pack and play be okay in there on your adjoining balcony space nearby where you could hear the baby cry if they did and check on them as necessary whilst you were out there?

The sound of the splashes of waves against the ship and a gentle rocking certainly sent me to sleep down on deck A!

ex techie

DCL do offer Pay-As-You-Go internet packages. They are $0.25 per Mb.

Unless your email is not set to download all new emails and their contents once you connect to it, and you have the web address saved already, the 100Mb package at $19.00 might be better and save you money.

Those Phamacuitical spam emails could cost you a lot for them to come through!

Here's the internet packages available:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/

I'll add that you get a 50mb bonus if you get a package on day 1. I recommend just registering for the 100mb package for $19 to take advantage of the 50mb promo. Yah, spam or an unwanted update can rack up data quickly.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks again for the helpful responses. We will have an iPad with us, and that is loud enough. I guess we just need to make sure we have something downloaded rather than streaming given the WiFi cost.

I did not realize that some of the balconies on the Wonder could be "linked." That would be wonderful! Are they a certain category or is it just luck of the draw?

Thanks again for the helpful responses. We will have an iPad with us, and that is loud enough. I guess we just need to make sure we have something downloaded rather than streaming given the WiFi cost.

I did not realize that some of the balconies on the Wonder could be "linked." That would be wonderful! Are they a certain category or is it just luck of the draw?

I don't believe the verandah dividers on the Wonder can be opened, yet.

The Magic also didn't have connecting verandahs, until her major re-imagining, so I think the Wonder hasn't had that upgrade, yet.

I have used an old audio only baby monitor without issue. The one you leave with the baby is a plug in, the one the mom keeps is battery or plug, so worked fine. Don't know about the newer ones.

The best way to do Southwest check in is to leave your information with your travel agent or someone back home and have them do it for you.

At 21 month...I'd try the pack and play. If the child is still in a crib at home, it gives the same feel. If they can't handle the Pack and Play, then go with the flip couch with rails.

I can't speak to Wonder balconies as I haven't "Wondered" since 2009.

I don't believe the verandah dividers on the Wonder can be opened, yet.

The Magic also didn't have connecting verandahs, until her major re-imagining, so I think the Wonder hasn't had that upgrade, yet.

You are correct Shmoo. My mistake.

ex techie

At 21 months, I'd do a pack and play. We had our kids use them until around three. Even though they could easily climb in and out, it provided a concrete boundary in an unfamiliar place. I hate to compare our adorable children to pets, but there was a bit of the crating effect and it was their own comfortable space.

Sorry I can't speak to the other questions.

You can pay an extra nominal fee on southwest and they will automatically Check you in for all your flights ahead of everyone else. I think it's called early bird check-in? It may be cheaper than buying an Internet package.

Ditto on the early bird check in. We had the brillant idea to check in 24 hours early from the ship and we had not purchased a data package. Spent $16 and did not succeed in getting checked in. Ended up in the C section for boarding sat between a 91 year old man who was a flirt which was cute until he put his head on my shoulder and a lady who had her nose buried in her computer until she decided to join in on my political discussion I was having with the 91 year old and tell me how wrong I was. Next cruise early bird check in for me. YIKES:(

How long ago was the $16, no check in? Because a couple years ago, a friend spent 45 minutes trying to check in with British Airways. However. with the new system, the internet is very efficient. Multiple cruises with no complaints from my 20 something (and trust me, she'd complain about anything electronic if the situation warranted it!)