Prices!

jeanlyon

In my opinion, the term "early saver" implies the earlier you book the cheaper the price. We knew we would have to pay for shuttles and transport to and from port on an early saver fare. What we didn't expect was for the price to drop by nearly £400 for exactly the same holiday on the same terms "early saver" but 6-weeks later (not earlier) than when we booked. If we had booked a "select fare" and seen the "early saver" cheaper then that is fair enough they are two different packages clearly different price brackets.

I know holidays go up and down in price but I think the term "early saver" should be addressed as it implies that if you wait and book later the price will go up so you take advantage and book early to get the deal. Originally we paid £979 each for an "early saver", 6-weeks later it's dropped to £799 for exactly the same package. As we have to pay transfer to and from port anyway, at either price, it made sense to cancel the original booking and book the cheaper price.

This is the first cruise we have booked. I've never experienced such a big drop in price so soon after booking with a land based package but if I had I would have done exactly the same. I'm happy because it worked out financially to our advantage and means for less than the original price we would have paid we have now paid for our transfer to and from port. :)

No - an early saver is only 15% deposit, the same as select but I don't think it is refundable. The saver fare is full payment because these come out when balances for the select & early saver fares have been paid. Think that's right. You can also request your dining preferences for early saver fares. We have always booked early saver and have always been given our preferred dining.

Browsing today's papers I spotted an advert for our Sept Eclipse canaries cruise, where the cheapest balcony price is now £880pp more than we paid, or £800pp against the lowest grade.

Got me wondering how this compares to P&O so being a cruise price geek I checked as best I could from the launch brochure data.

Of the 3 Eclipse cruises to the Canaries this year their current offers for the lowest grade balcony cabins range from £500-£800pp higher than the brochure launch price, which can be bettered for previous cruisers. There was one exception on a 10th Oct 11nt cruise, Celebrity are offering a 2D cabin for £1399pp vs brochure price of £1299, for other grades the price is £500pp more.

P&O have 3 cruises over the same period and their prices vary from a saving of £200pp on a Ventura 12nt, £75pp more on a Britaania 11nt cruise, and £280pp more on a Britannia 14nt cruise.

I chose the same destination for fairness and I think it clearly shows that Celebrity's pricing policy is much fairer to early bookers than is P&O's.