Why are cruise pictures so expensive?

MikeACY

I agree...professional photographers, no way.

So agree with this. Pictures are too often not centered, out of focus, or subject's eyes are closed. They are no better than a random stranger with a cell phone camera most times. What good is the equipment if they don't know how to use it?

We really dislike how aggressive some of the photographers are. On our last cruise we walked up and took the "bypass photo" line when one of them walked up to us and said "Can I please see your Seapass?" to which I pointedly replied "No, we are walking in the bypass line, you cannot have my card." How many newbies would have handed it over simply because she was wearing an official looking name tag? So slimy.

I buy the welcome aboard picture on every cruise and I get one formal picture that I get free with with a silver frame that comes with the romance package. On our first cruise we bought I think 3 pictures even thought they were expensive. I take my own pictures and videos during the cruise and then make my own DVD mixed with still shots and video set to music I like after the cruise and it is much better than the DVD's they sell on the cruise. Better because it has everything I want on it from the ship and the ports. :cool:

I agree with everyone who said the the picture prices are ridiculously over priced!

Last year on our cruise when I went to pay for the pictures I was getting, welcome aboard, port photos and a couple from formal night. Yes I will be looking at the all inclusive package this year. Anyway as I was paying the young lady waiting on me started laughing and said "This is the best photo taken the whole cruise, we were all looking at it last night and laughing at what a good sport your husband is!" I then had to look at the photo again, you see I am an avid scrapbooker and love having the "professional" photos to add to the many we take ourselves, so I was going to buy the port photos, they were going to have to be very bad for me to not buy them. So I looked at the photo again and there I am with my beautiful daughter and a couple of pirates, and then there is my dear hubby and a pirate with a sword to his neck, hubby is hamming it up like he is under attack. My husband is a quiet guy and hates to have his picture taken so this is probably my favorite picture from 9 cruises! I would have paid twice the price for that picture, so sorry, I am part of the reason your picture are so high. And we do look at our albums, I have them out around the house and friends and family are always looking through them.

Also the photographer helping me said "After being here late at night developing pictures then getting up early to put on a costume and piling on all that makeup and standing in the heat, its nice to have someone enjoy what we do." She said many people are rude and just bust thru where they are set up, some will even cuss at them.

A nice No, Thank you would work. I know we are all excited and ready to get on to whatever we have planned for the day. If you don't want to have your picture taken or buy it afterwards, thats up to you. No one is making you do it. Just smile and keep walking, the person behind you may be ready "go Hollywood":D

I so enjoyed reading this....people buy photos/photo packages for many reasons, and there are many reasons people don't buy photos. But it is not an intellectual reasoning exercise, it is an emotional reason....a connection that they don't want to forget to a memorable event.

On many occasions we walk by the photog and say, 'No not interested'. Because we are not and don't want to waste their time or effort, knowing we have no interest in buying the photo. In other situations we will take a photo.... On some cruises we have no intention of getting a photo at all. I look terrible usually in seated photos, so dinner photos I just wish would not be taken....but when we want to remember a good time with friends we are sailing with.....it can be nice. We have some cute random shots that happened on cruises, that weren't set up and they are often the most adorable.

Do I wish they were less expensive sure....because I believe they are overpriced....but I know people will buy them and expect that prices will not drop.

how do you download the rights to the pictures? Is this true for every cruse line? (NCL, Carnival). I do purchase a few pictures after each cruse (I would purchase more but...) I am always interested in making copies locally.

Thanks

Mike