Cartagena the third worst???

CruzeBoozer

Hi CruzeBoozer,

I visited Cartagena (Colombia) last year and i had a wonderful time, it was safe, the only thing i didn't like much were the vendors but other than that it is a great port. When you visit a new place (country or city) you cannot be naive... that is for sure.

I hire a private guide for this occasion, however, i had a few friends that visited Cartagena by themselves, if you would like to have a guide to feel safe etc. you can contact him: http://www.cartagenatourguide.com.

Do not miss this port, it is unique and awesome!

:D

Bah......

I am not intimidated by Europe at all......every place in the world has areas of greater or lesser danger.....I would not advise you walk at night in any number of urban areas in the US....But, Europe is not especially dangerous....and not especially for Americans......Now the Middle East....no..it would not be particularly wise to be there as an American.....cowardly scum taking unarmed tourists and the well meaning fools that go there to help the poor and are kidnapped and killed for their attempted kindness

But, the UK had to deal with issues like this when they were the number one power in the world.....but, people alwasy gripe about having to make way for someone with more power and influence....be it a nation, lord.....or just someone with authority over you...

With the greatest of respect ... I hear what you say ........ and .. I'll bear it in mind. http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-the-british-really-mean-when-they-say-things--and-what-other-people-hear-2015-1

A mate of mine got mugged in Barcelona and it's probably got a higher risk of getting pick pocketed than Cartegena 2. A UK boxing champ got stabbed just down the coast. Europe is a terribly dangerous place which Americans should fear. But at least your chances of getting shot (by police or public) are less than the odds of winning the lottery.

Edited by LabGuy64

That article is a joke. It is so simplistic and generalizes entire countries in to a few lines.

I had a great day in Cartagena on my Celebrity booked tour. I never felt unsafe. I talked to people who did a variety of tours both private and with Celebrity and I did not hear anyone say they felt unsafe.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in December 2014. We were on a Princess cruise line tour that included a walk through Old Town, the Folkloric Show, etc. We felt safe during the entire tour.

Here is a link in case you're interested in pictures. My wife made some slide shows for her website with the pictures she took.

December 2014 Panama Canal Cruise

I hope you take a tour so you can see for yourself how beautiful it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The original poster inquires about Cartegena based on an article about cruise ports by country. The article claims Colombia as third most dangerous. So it's not really like comparing apples to oranges, more like apples to fruit though. We found Cartegena our best port on our Panama cruise in Feb '12.

Edited by Ryancoke

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone of this thread please tell me if they took a taxi one could pay with usd instead off pesos

we are going next month and getting pesos only for a taxi seems not a good idea ( charges and changing rate is ridiculous for a few bucks )

if you did pay with usd please give us an idea how much from the port into the old city

I would be so happy knowing this as I am worried how to get into town

without an organised tour

thank you all so much

thanks we were planning to go outside the port and find a driver that is willing to take us to the wallet city / fort

hope to find a driver that is willing to take dollars .... that is the problem now I know that 10$ is the price to pay ( one way )

thanks for the info

have a wonderful day

Should be around 10$, BUT your problem will be in finding a driver willing to take you as they are all looking for day tours. May have better luck outside the port gates.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

which tour did you book ( a special one for cruise people ? )

how many people in your group ? price ?

thanks for sharing

We just got back from Cartagena a few weeks ago and we felt safe. We did a private tour with one of Marelvy Pena-Hall's associates and it was one of the most beautiful cities on our 11 day cruise.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just finished 4 days in Cartagena--not on a cruise--and felt safe everywhere. We stayed in a the walled city at a wonderful 8 room botique hotel--Quadrifolio--and enjoyed "great" food at Carmen's and Montmartre. Juan Valdez shops are great for Starbuck's- like drinks.

We found the city especially the old walled city safe at all hours that we were out walking or touring..

We have felt more on edge in Salvador and Recife, Brazil or in Belize City or on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. There are clearly some areas to avoid but they are generally away from tourist areas. In many cities, it is unwise to walk to or from the port area--since the areas near the port are poor and crime can occur.

I think Colombia has improved significantly in the last 10 years--but it is still a poor country so normal precautions should be observed. The history of the port including the gold museum are fascinating.