Carnival Freedom Planning - Embarkation Wedding advice

dbrown13

My fiance and I were engaged back in September. This is the 2nd marriage for both of us so we were in no hurry to set a date or make plans and now the time has come! :)

We have decided with the minimal number of guests (only 36 to be invited) and wanting to keep costs low that we want to do a Carnival wedding in Spring 2016.

Has anyone done an embarkation wedding out of Galveston and if so how did it turn out? I have also not been on the Freedom yet and am wondering what to expect.

I have found some information about photo pricing throughout threads here and also got package pricing on CCL website, but what else should I expect to budget for? I have seen forums stating the final cost was a lot higher than what the package prices initially state... what else could there be? Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the catagories on our budget sheet:

Wedding

Cruise

Wedding Dress

Tuxedo and accessories

Rings

Flights

Marriage License

Hotel before cruise

Hotel After Cruise

Rental Car after Cruise

Pictures

Excursions

Space Center tickets

Airport Parking

Rental Car Before the Cruise

Savings

TIPS

Extra Guests

Cabin Liquor

Gifts for guests

In addition were my bouquet supplies as I am using one I made rather than the supplied and the boutinierre/mother's pins supplies.

Our marriage license was about $260.....plus the cost of shipping it. So there is that expense.

Also the package usually only includes 20ppl.....you and groom are included in that count.....so 18 guests plus you too. Additional guests are $30 regardless on if they are sailing or not.

You should also take into account a hotel fee....unless you live close to that port.

My wedding is during spring break.....didn't factor that in...airfare and hotel are more than normal during this time....Oops.

Finally...the Freedom is AWESOME. I have been on her twice. We actually got engaged on her this past June....out on the "secret" deck :) That is a great ship and I would get married on her if I could:)

I am also booking this weekend for our Spring 2016 wedding! After calling today, I put our date on a 48 hour hold and since it will be over the weekend, we have until EOB on Monday to get everything set. I learned that the DJ is $112 for our reception. I thought that was pretty reasonable considering the photo package is so pricey.

Our marriage license was about $260.....plus the cost of shipping it. So there is that expense.

Also the package usually only includes 20ppl.....you and groom are included in that count.....so 18 guests plus you too. Additional guests are $30 regardless on if they are sailing or not.

You should also take into account a hotel fee....unless you live close to that port.

My wedding is during spring break.....didn't factor that in...airfare and hotel are more than normal during this time....Oops.

Finally...the Freedom is AWESOME. I have been on her twice. We actually got engaged on her this past June....out on the "secret" deck :) That is a great ship and I would get married on her if I could:)

We actually like about 6 hours from port near Dallas. We will likely drive down one day in advance so there will be just one day of hotel cost.

What is this "secret" deck you speak of? I have loved all of the Carnival ships I have been on and I am looking forward to the Freedom!

Did the license cost more because you live out of state? Our fee is only going to be $82 so I'm wondering why the cost was so high? Or maybe the Freedom is leaving from somewhere else from your cruise. Ours is going out of Galveston Tx.

I'm getting married Sunday the 25th out of galveston on the magic I will let you know how it goes, also factor in makeup hair and nails for an expense

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As in this week?? That's so exciting! I can't wait to hear about it. I'm sure you are doing a million things but if you get a chance I was wondering about the extra cost for another tier on the cake, The photography price list (I found one posted in the forums but it was a little dated so I'm sure the prices have gone up) and also if you know what the costs for flower upgrades would be. We might just have a florist do them before we go and skip all of that but one less thing to carry with us would be nice too.

You can't bring real flowers aboard you have to order them through the wedding experience or just bring fake ones my license was $82 extra tier is $50 if you go over 50 people there is an extra $150 fee for a second coordinator. Yes I'm getting married tomorrow! I'm already here in galveston!

You can't bring real flowers aboard you have to order them through the wedding experience or just bring fake ones my license was $82 extra tier is $50 if you go over 50 people there is an extra $150 fee for a second coordinator. Yes I'm getting married tomorrow! I'm already here in galveston!

What venue did you use for your wedding? I was interested in doing the ceremony outside on deck ( I saw some really cool photos of it when I googled Carnival cruise weddings) but I was a little worried about the backdrop of Galveston. It's not the prettiest of locations, but the ship is amazing. Did you take any photos outside while in port?

I am also booking this weekend for our Spring 2016 wedding! After calling today, I put our date on a 48 hour hold and since it will be over the weekend, we have until EOB on Monday to get everything set. I learned that the DJ is $112 for our reception. I thought that was pretty reasonable considering the photo package is so pricey.

Which port will you be sailing from? Which ship? The last photography price list I saw started with packages at $499 up to $2999, but it looks like that was from almost 2 years ago. Do you have updated prices? I think this will be our biggest budget piece (aside from the package itself).

Hi Everyone

I am new to cruise critic, and I am also planning a wedding on the carnival cruise. Just wondering If I can get some feedback or some advice on having an embarkation wedding with a Time to celebrate...Big! package.

Do you need to be dressed and ready to go onboard for your wedding or can this be done when you check in?

The open bar in the package what actually does this include...? Does the open bar mean everyone pays for their own drink....or it means they can order whatever they like at no extra costs? If someone can clarify this for me that would be great.

What was the Hot and Cold canapes like? Did everyone enjoy them? Was there enough for all the guests?

is there a minimum about of guests that have to be sailing? Is there an extra fee if you have more non sailing guests than the ones who are sailing.

Thank you for your help :)

Hi Everyone

I am new to cruise critic, and I am also planning a wedding on the carnival cruise. Just wondering If I can get some feedback or some advice on having an embarkation wedding with a Time to celebrate...Big! package.

Do you need to be dressed and ready to go onboard for your wedding or can this be done when you check in?

The open bar in the package what actually does this include...? Does the open bar mean everyone pays for their own drink....or it means they can order whatever they like at no extra costs? If someone can clarify this for me that would be great.

What was the Hot and Cold canapes like? Did everyone enjoy them? Was there enough for all the guests?

is there a minimum about of guests that have to be sailing? Is there an extra fee if you have more non sailing guests than the ones who are sailing.

Thank you for your help :)

I'm still working out some of these details myself but I can tell you that all of your guests need to be dressed and ready for the wedding when embarking that morning.

You and your FH will each have access to a room in your booking to get ready in. (the rest of the rooms will not be ready until normal time - usually after 1pm) Just know that you will need to have your hair done prior because there really isn't enough time to do everything.

There is no minimum number of sailing guests required - only you and your FH have to be sailing in order to have the wedding onboard. The rest of the guests are welcome to come only for the wedding if they'd like. There is a maximum number of 50 non-sailing guests allowed to come onboard for the wedding although I have heard they are willing to bend the rules for a just a few extras if necessary. There is no additional/separate charge for non-sailing guests.

I will be finalizing my booking later this week and will confirm the open bar information as soon as I get more info because I am wondering the same thing.

As far as the food, I have heard that all of the options are great. Carnival's food is amazing if you haven't had it. There are also 4 total menus to order from but you will have to ask for the other menus as they do not offer them up otherwise. I will be doing the Celebrate with us Package as well and from what I understand the guests will be allowed to attend lunch up on the lido deck before the ceremony begins while the bridal party is getting ready.

• 1 year later...

Good morning, Everyone! We are getting married in 2 weeks and finalized everything last night! We found out that we are getting married in the International Lounge; has anyone gotten married in the International Lounge? From the pictures I see it looks pretty dark.... :-(

I am excited that our reception is going to be in the Havana Lounge! I love the look of it! :-)

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Dri