Magic Cruisers! Casual dressers enter please...

PresDuLac

Women can get by with maxi dresses & bejeweled flippies, crop pants, slacks, capris. I just put a cute top with any pants I wear. Last cruise we went all out on formal nights, but that was mostly because we were with friends who wanted to dress up & we needed new pics anyway.

Men could get by with nice slacks or even nice jeans. I don't recall seeing anyone in dress shorts on the formal nights, but Carnival is pretty lenient and yes, cruising out of Galveston is a bit different. I just think everyone tends to be more friendly & laid back, including the staff. I'm pretty sure one or more of the guys in our group wore shorts to the dining room on a casual night. I know my hubby has worn cargo shorts before, just not on formal night.

Love the "Texas has its own dress..." intros, all of which aren't true.

27 miles from Galveston, 22 cruises from there, 4 from other cities in the past year and the dress is the same. Mostly casual.

Now, who cares if I've been on one ship or 90, what I see is khakis, pools, casual shoes on Cruise Elegant and shorts and Tommy Bahamas for men. Ladies dress in the same style/level.

The kids at the table next to us over New Years wore basketball shorts and tops to dinner all the casual nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am old and have lived in Texas all my life. Most people will wear what is appropriate. That definitely means no caps/hats at the table. That is rude to the other diners. Most Texans will dress appropriately. Or should. I honestly do NOT see why wearing a tie, or dressing up a bit is such a huge concern for so many people. I will mail a tie to someone going on a cruise that can't afford one

I honestly do NOT see why wearing a tie, or dressing up a bit is such a huge concern for so many people. I will mail a tie to someone going on a cruise that can't afford one

To assume one cannot afford a tie because one chooses not to wear one, is rather presumptuous. When one wears business formal throughout the work week, one does not wish to don formal attire on vacation even when said one can afford a suite.

[quote name='PresDuLac']Thanks everyone!
*Most* :rolleyes: :) of these replies have been really helpful to my friend.
She's got her CE nights covered now.

I love how CE dress code threads devolve, but they're nothing compared to the 'what to wear in Paris' threads on a travel forum I frequent.
That said, I love 'what to wear' conversations.

On CE night on another ship (Pride) in May, people were dressed however they pleased.
I even saw one couple in matching Harley Davidson t-shirts. :eek:

When I was younger, I loved dressing up, now.... not so much, it's more of a pain than a pleasure.

In case anyone's interested, these are my two favorite 'go to' *dress up* outfits (from j.jill), I have more mix and match pieces - super comfortable stuff and pack nicely.
This is as dressed up as I ever get and pantyhose be damned! :)

[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/terracottage/public/jjillwearever_zps9f330387.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/terracottage/public/jjillsweater_zpsa60ca5f3.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I have thrown the pantyhose out the window and will never put on a pointed toe and heel pair of shoes again! I do dress up on CE but without those items.

• 3 weeks later...
We were on the Magic May of 2014 and going again May of 2015. On on the first elegant night I wore a blue sport coat, tie, and pair of khaki pants. The second elegant night we were very tired and I didn't want to get very dressed up but also did not want to miss eating at the MDR, so I just wore khaki pants and a dress shirt, no jacket no tie. I think the only no no's are jeans and shorts on elegant night. Edited by trent h

We were on the 5 day to Cozumel/Progresso and we didn't want to miss dinner in the MDR either but the most elegant cloths we packed were nice khaki shorts, button up shirts and leather sandals for hubby and sundresses for me. We spoke to our wait staff the night before and the maître d and they both said that there would be no problem wearing what we had brought and that the only no no's are gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats and that is exactly what they have posted on their website. We even asked the hostess before we entered the MDR and they said we looked absolutely fine.
There were several couples dressed like us and others that were dressed in elegant evening wear and everything in between.
Our next cruise is a 7 day and I know it may be totally different but if we can't wear nice khaki shorts and a button up, we will probably skip the elegant night cause I have no desire to dress up on vacation but that's just me :D and there is plenty of other food on the ship! Edited by gamits

We got off the Magic earlier today. We ate in the Southern Lights MDR lower level late seating. The 4 couples at our table were late 50's to early 70's. The guys wore collar knits & pants/black jeans every night. Ladies, black slacks & nice tops. I wear "dressy" flats as well. Almost "everything goes".