Advice on picking a HAL Land Sea Cruise

Thefish1680

I apologize in advance as i am sure this question has been asked many times. I am looking for help from the Alaska experts for choosing between two cruise dates. The background is that I am taking my mother and inlaws on a 11 day land-sea cruise this year. This is a vacation they have dreamed about forever so I want to make sure we pick a good all around time to go. We are cruising on the HAL heading northbound and our Itinerary is Vancouver, inside passage, ketchikan, juneau, skagway, glacier bay, at sea day, two days in denali (including the tundra wilderness tour), anchorage.

May 21 - June 10

or

July 12 - July 22

We would love seeing the larger animals (orcas, humpback, bears, moose, etc). My personal wish would be to see salmon and other fish from the area (even if it's just while in port).

Thanks in advance!

Choosing a date is completely up to your own personal choice. From what I have read going to Alaska from mid July to mid August is a great time to go.

We are on Holland Oosterdam July 26 southbound beginning in Fairbanks on July 22 to Vancouver. Not knowing how mobile your mom and mother in law is that will determined what you can do in ports. This is what we have schedule to do on our first trip to Alaska--

Skagway- Trails of 98 (TNT) great reviews-a tour that takes you up the Klondike highway. We are on the 7 hour tour. Juneau-Harv and Marv Whale watch and in Ketchikan we are planning on walking around the town but there is the Duck tour where everyone could just sit back and enjoy the ride. Some of us are doing the Island Wing flight over the Misty Fjords. Check out each of these excursions. I have booked them all on my own, but once you have booked your cruise, you can register on line and book excursions through the cruise line. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Choosing a date is completely up to your own personal choice. From what I have read going to Alaska from mid July to mid August is a great time to go.

We are on Holland Oosterdam July 26 southbound beginning in Fairbanks on July 22 to Vancouver. Not knowing how mobile your mom and mother in law is that will determined what you can do in ports. This is what we have schedule to do on our first trip to Alaska--

Skagway- Trails of 98 (TNT) great reviews-a tour that takes you up the Klondike highway. We are on the 7 hour tour. Juneau-Harv and Marv Whale watch and in Ketchikan we are planning on walking around the town but there is the Duck tour where everyone could just sit back and enjoy the ride. Some of us are doing the Island Wing flight over the Misty Fjords. Check out each of these excursions. I have booked them all on my own, but once you have booked your cruise, you can register on line and book excursions through the cruise line. Hope this helps. Have fun!

If possible, I never recommend these short add on tours, look for more days, if available for you. These short tours have a LOT of time in transit, and you will be completely missing out on Seward which is your best possible area for orcas.

With your salmon priority- then go in July. You are way too early in May.