Elation review 1/1/15 4night from NOLA

cruzzza

Sorry, no pics. Just a review from an experienced Carnival cruiser about the Elation. If anyone has any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Let me preface this review by saying that this was my 12th Carnival cruise, my DH’s 11th, and my girls’ 3rd and 2nd. We have only cruised on Carnival. Not by choice, but because of the price and fact that Carnival is the only 4/5 day cruise out of Nola or Galveston. It has been close to 2 years since we sailed on the Conquest to the Bahamas. This cruise was with extended family, a group of 9 total.

I like to cruise around Christmas. I detest cold weather and it’s so nice to get away to somewhere warm. The kids are out of school and the whole family can go and spend time together. We chose this particular cruise because of price. The others in the same time frame were not in our budget.

Embarkation was easy. It’s changed since the last time I was there. You now take your picture first, before going through the check in process. The long desk of check-in people is gone and you partially check in right in line. I don’t really like this. You’re standing in the line with someone right behind you impatiently waiting while you’re trying to fumble with your paperwork with nowhere to sit your stuff. However, since the lines weren’t too long, it wasn’t horrible and after security we were shown the way to the new VIP Lounge. WOW! It was huge! What an improvement. The only negative here was that I waited at the desk. In reality, you are supposed to be seated and the agent that has your paperwork will call your name to come up. This wasn’t told to me and there were no signs. This could be conveyed better. Overall, it was smooth and fast.

First glimpse of the atrium when we went inside was quite familiar. I remember a smell, sort of like cleaning fluid of some type, but not necessarily fresh and clean smelling. It was not very welcoming and not pleasant. It did look just as I remembered it (having cruised on the Elation several years ago). We found our room and I was wondering if we had made a mistake. I knew the rooms had not been refurbished, but I was still very disappointed. After our last cruise on the Conquest, it was a big let down. The room was clean, but no amount of cleaning could make the tile in the bathroom look good. The window was dirty (as I expected) and everything looked really, really old. Yes, I knew what to expect when I signed up, but I still didn’t anticipate how I would react to it.

OK, we hadn’t eaten and were starved, so up to the Lido deck we went. Oh my, what a disaster that was. Even though we were there past peak lunch time, it was packed like sardines. There were very few tables available and the one we found was next to an automatic door. Did I say it was about 50 degrees outside? We were COLD. OK, so I’m still determined to make the most of this and we take turns getting food. I wanted some Pizza Pirate, which was a mistake. Really, don’t they know that there are hundreds of people who want pizza and yet they can’t have extra staff helping the chef there? The buffet lines were awful, too. It was a mess. Finally we ate and went to the muster drill.

So, I’m still optimistic, although a bit jaded, at this point. We are determined to make dinner the best part of the day. And you know what? It was. Our waiter Prayudi, was simply amazing, and the food was the best I’ve had on Carnival in a while. We chose early seating and I do think that having a set dining time makes the food better for whatever reason. Our table was not in a great location, near the galley and food service, but we had kids at the table and it was close to the exit, which ended up being a plus due to having multiple bathroom breaks and having to take a crying little one out quickly.

Honestly, the first sea day was a blur. The kids loved Camp Carnival. They were separated in different age groups, but sometimes they did things together and my kids are pretty social, so they had a blast.

In Cozumel, we went to Chankanaab. I think I may start calling it “Old Reliable” because that’s what it is for us. We love it and the kids loved it and even my parents liked it a lot – particularly the nature trail. The sea lion show was great and just the right length. Young and old were happy. We discussed how we wish it weren’t so difficult and expensive to stay at an all-inclusive, because we really enjoyed this day the best.

This ship really rocked! I got seasick the 3rd night, and I never get seasick. A Dramamine took care of it quickly, but it was affecting many onboard. Barf bags were out!

I guess I should add a section about food and drink. I already said that the dining room food was good, and I was impressed every, except the one I was sick, which happened to be the weakest menu night IMO. The Pizza Pirate was really good and cooked perfectly almost every time - and I visited often! The drinks were OK. Prices have gone up from what I remember. The hardest part was actually getting one due to understaffed bars. Love the guava passion fruit juice and hot cocoa at breakfast. Iced tea was average as always. Room service was prompt and good (had the grilled cheese multiple times).

The last sea day was good. By this time, I had gotten used to the old ship and there were even some things I had forgotten I liked so much. For example, sitting near the edge of the deck on the aft looking over the wake was wonderful. That’s something you can’t do on the modern ships with the steel blocking your view. I must mention that I never felt comfortable near the edge with my kids, though, and I would caution anyone taking young kids to be aware that it’s a safety hazard. Just as I was settling in with my fruity drink, we sailed into a storm. Goodbye sunshine, goodbye warm weather. Oh darn. Off to pack.

Which reminds me – never, ever, go on a 4 day cruise again if I can help it. Really. It’s just too short. If I lived closer to the port, I wouldn’t say that maybe. Even still, you really can’t enjoy the last day of your cruise fully because of packing. For me, that’s a 3 to 4 hour ordeal. I don’t just have to pack myself, but my whole family. Some of you this won’t apply to, but for me, it’s really just a 2 day cruise. OK, 3 maybe if you count the half day at embarkation and the first half of the last sea day. I will probably do 5 days again, but I’ll really try to not do any more 4 days. I said this the last time I did a 4 day and I feel the same way, or even stronger since I have kids now.

All in all, we had a great time and will certainly cruise again, but not on the Elation unless it's a great deal. I've got my sights set on the Dream next. I'd still like to travel with another line and may look at that too. When the kids get older, we'll definitely try one of the all-inclusives, but for now cruising fits us just fine.

Edited by cruzzza

We were on that same cruise with you guys. Had a great time. We thought the boat really rocked that 3rd night too, but didn't notice it too much the other days. (in fact someone in our group commented how smooth it was!) I agree that 4 days is just too short. Still wondering what they did to her doing her dry dock earlier in the fall, cause it wasn't really noticeable.

- Have a good one.

My girlfriend and I sail this cruise on the 29th! We are not seasoned cruisers (her first, my second) so I'm sure we won't be as critical about the room (although my first was on the beautiful Magic!). I'm not meaning any disrespect, but after so many cruises, I'm sure you've become accustomed to a certain level of quality. Thank you so much for the review!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your review. Elation was my 1st cruise and I sailed her again in 2012. Sadly, I will not be sailing her again unless, she gets a complete makeover, a really great price, or a great itinerary. The ship looks really old and outdated (especially the cabin and the bathroom was nasty and old). I agree with all of your observations.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

You're welcome. Hope you enjoyed it.

We were on that same cruise with you guys. Had a great time. We thought the boat really rocked that 3rd night too, but didn't notice it too much the other days. (in fact someone in our group commented how smooth it was!) I agree that 4 days is just too short. Still wondering what they did to her doing her dry dock earlier in the fall, cause it wasn't really noticeable.

- Have a good one.

The smaller ships really do rock more, but overall I agree that it wasn't bad. I know what you mean by "what did they do" because overall it wasn't noticeable that she had just been to dry dock recently.

My girlfriend and I sail this cruise on the 29th! We are not seasoned cruisers (her first, my second) so I'm sure we won't be as critical about the room (although my first was on the beautiful Magic!). I'm not meaning any disrespect, but after so many cruises, I'm sure you've become accustomed to a certain level of quality. Thank you so much for the review!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would prepare yourself for the fact that the Elation will be very different from the Magic. We went from the Conquest down to the Elation and you're taking an even bigger step down. My advice is to go with low expectations. While not a bad cruise or even a bad ship for that matter, it's a different experience. I think that's what surprised me most. I knew that it would be a lower level of overall quality, but I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did.

I would suggest signing up for Groupon as they offer a lot of "all inclusive" vacations for very reasonable prices.

Those kinds of things always scare me. Also, after including airfare, I have found that it's not that much different from buying a package which offers the whole thing together. YMMV

Thanks for your review. Elation was my 1st cruise and I sailed her again in 2012. Sadly, I will not be sailing her again unless, she gets a complete makeover, a really great price, or a great itinerary. The ship looks really old and outdated (especially the cabin and the bathroom was nasty and old). I agree with all of your observations.

Yes, the bathroom was the worst part of the cabin. Yuck! I may sail her again, but only for a bargain basement price.

Thanks for your review, I agree 4 days is way to short.

Yes, 5 days minimum for me from now on. 7 is perfect, but much more costly usually with 4 people.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I sailed on the Elation two years ago, and managed to get locked into the ladies room, when the handle fell out of the stall i was in. This was on the lido at night after dinner, took 20 mintues to have someone walk in and rescue me.

We did have smooth sailing, but arrived back into NOLA in an ice storm. I thought the food was just OK, but glad to hear you think it has gotten better.

We hated the life jacket box in the cabin, it is not condusive to making the beds into a king bed. We had booked the smallest porthole cabin on the ship. But it was in the location we wanted, so live and learn on that choice.

I too said I wouldn't go back on this ship, but it goes to Progresso, we love NOLA, and I still have some ruins to visit in Mexico, so we will sail her again next Janaury. After that she replaces the Fascination out of Jacksonville, which is our closest port, so we might have to sail her a few more times, or suck it up, and pay more to cruise out of Charleston, and get fewer ports.