What's the Nicest Thing a Carnival Team Member Ever Did For You?

winddawn

On my last cruise, my friend and I both used up all the cash we had deposited for our S&S and didn't realize it. At dinner we tried to order a drink but our cards declined and we were both moritified. Our head waiter surprised us with two martini's on the house. After dinner, we took care of our accounts (switched to credit card!) and we went back to the dining room to give him a $20 tip for not making us feel like losers.

Giving away a company's property by waiters in the hope of getting a big tip has been around for centuries and it's dishonest and grounds for termination. Every guest pays for these losses in higher fares.

Edited by sanmarcosman

I am so happy this is a positive thread and so excited to try Carnival again..not worried one bit after my last off cruise and reading here and several good things..in the end they are the best priced last minute for me and I am going to try and do an outside or balcony next time but...willing for inside again after reading here...I do want to try others but there is so much to do I have not done and so much to see I have not seen that Carnival fills the bill.

I have a bartender friend....just there at bar but a true friend in a city I lived in..he wants to be e-mailed if driving home to be safe and he created a career there with huge repeat business, made it a friendly club for all parts of local and travelers to enjoy and love..his skill being able to grow into ordering booze for whole restaurant and even being able to start his own tiny wine store closer to his home.

I do not doubt that special bartenders are told to read people on vacation and help with such situations and the right ones always get way more than they put out..great story OP about the mishap on your card, easily done and if the pampering goes right one is sort of on such automatic pilot that it happens..finally able to chill..the good people one can just read..especially a good bartender..very touched...for grumpy jr 88. My bartender always gives me a deal..too...I eat there a lot in town and did all the time living there..he cared and made you feel special...that is their job.

I do want to try other lines, but this thread has me so excited to keep enjoying my special deals with Carnival..i will not be board and be treated well with some surprises..so happy...thanks all contributers here and dear Windawn for keeping it going...

So happy about Cosmo...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Several called me, visited me, and comforted me in between infirmary visits when I got hurt on-board while solo cruising in the Caribbean. It's mostly people that make the difference in life.

I also once received a nice hard copy of the ship signed by crew that served me, a very nice touch.

Edited by eponym

Several called me, visited me, and comforted me in between infirmary visits when I got hurt on-board while solo cruising in the Caribbean. It's mostly people that make the difference in life.

So profound and true,,,,,Sarah

Giving away a company's property by waiters in the hope of getting a big tip has been around for centuries and it's dishonest and grounds for termination. Every guest pays for these losses in higher fares.

Did you ever think that the waiter swiped his own card and paid for the drinks? SMH.

My daughter booked a cruise for her, her dad (my husband), and me for December 2013. She wanted to treat us to a nice short cruise since getting her first professional job. In July 2013, my daughter passed away. We decided to take the cruise in remembrance of her. We went and took a picture of her and a bottle of her favorite sparking cider (she didn't drink wine). We met the cabin steward while we were unpacking the first day, and he asked about the picture of her. We told him and asked if we could have some ice for the cabin. When we returned that evening, he had set up the ice bucket like the bottle contained the finest champagne ever. Had a nice towel and 2 very fancy wine glasses brought for us. He surprised us each night with a refresh to our ice bucket and cider bottle and fancy wine glasses and something special by her picture and one night a single tiny flower by her picture. Something to make our first cruise without her special to remember.

My daughter booked a cruise for her, her dad (my husband), and me for December 2013. She wanted to treat us to a nice short cruise since getting her first professional job. In July 2013, my daughter passed away. We decided to take the cruise in remembrance of her. We went and took a picture of her and a bottle of her favorite sparking cider (she didn't drink wine). We met the cabin steward while we were unpacking the first day, and he asked about the picture of her. We told him and asked if we could have some ice for the cabin. When we returned that evening, he had set up the ice bucket like the bottle contained the finest champagne ever. Had a nice towel and 2 very fancy wine glasses brought for us. He surprised us each night with a refresh to our ice bucket and cider bottle and fancy wine glasses and something special by her picture and one night a single tiny flower by her picture. Something to make our first cruise without her special to remember.

Wow. Your story gave me chills. What a thoughtful thing your cabin steward did for you.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

That is absolutely awesome! I got chill bumps reading it .

So deeply touched prayers and also very sorry for your loss. Like my mom's fairly recent loss...anything too early and especially parents loosing their kids is a tough unexpected journey...I know and pray you have that special awareness they are somehow still sending their love, this steward sure did that......Sarah

On my last cruise, my friend and I both used up all the cash we had deposited for our S&S and didn't realize it. At dinner we tried to order a drink but our cards declined and we were both moritified. Our head waiter surprised us with two martini's on the house. After dinner, we took care of our accounts (switched to credit card!) and we went back to the dining room to give him a $20 tip for not making us feel like losers.

How nice that your waiter handled a delicate situation with such class. I know how embarrassing it can be when your S&S card is declined. That happened to me once and it was just a matter of them rerunning the same CC at the information desk. I learned my lesson that one time to always notify my credit card company when I will be traveling and using my card away from home. I guess these days credit card companies go overboard with their potential fraud protection measures. It is really nice that others can place themselves in your shoes and treat you with respect when things like this happen. It was really nice of you to reciprocate the kindness to your waiter. That was a really classy thing to do too.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us grumpyjr. :-)

Edited by winddawn

This has been a great thread to read... I have always been so impressed with the Carnival staff and could tell of many times I felt a crew member went out of their way to go above and beyond....

On our last cruise we had a great wait team in the MDR. On the first night I noticed that they had whipped butter and not the little foil packet ones - it really wasn't a big deal, but my DD and I both agreed in a quiet converstion with each other we preferred the packet butter but we did not complain or ask for it to be changed. The next night when we came to our table, there was a saucer with about 8 pieces of the foiled wrapped butter on our table, beside the little dish of whipped butter. Standing beside our table waiting to pull out our chairs was the assnt waiter Rian (why-ann) with a huge grin on his face - he was excited to see if we noticed the butter... I looked at the butter and then back at him and he said "I went to Lido deck and got it for you" we thanked him for being so thoughtful - told him we appreciated but wasn't necessary because we knew he was busy but it was on our table every night.

A few years ago, we were on a cruise with our kids and another family. Our daughter was celebrating her 13th birthday in the middle of the week. Over the course of the cruise, we got to know the Assistant Maitre'D in the dining room. He would stop by each table and have a few words, but when he came to our table each night, he would stay and talk to us for quite a while, telling jokes with the kids, talking about family, and just having good conversation. On the night of our daughter's birthday, after dinner was finished, he comes out of the kitchen with a cake, and a procession of servers and the photographer behind him. They come to our table, sing happy birthday, and then he holds the cake down in front of my daughter so she can see it. What happens next?

He looks at us, winks, and smashes the cake right into her face to the hoots and howls of us and everyone around us! The photographer is taking lots of pictures at this point! Our daughter is laughing and wiping icing from her face. It was hilarious! They had a couple of towels at the ready for her to clean up, and then they brought us another cake to eat.

How he knew it was her birthday I'm not sure, because I don't think we ever mentioned it. Needless to say, it was very memorable and the pictures turned out amazing. Our daughter still talks about it.

A few years ago, we were on a cruise with our kids and another family. Our daughter was celebrating her 13th birthday in the middle of the week. Over the course of the cruise, we got to know the Assistant Maitre'D in the dining room. He would stop by each table and have a few words, but when he came to our table each night, he would stay and talk to us for quite a while, telling jokes with the kids, talking about family, and just having good conversation. On the night of our daughter's birthday, after dinner was finished, he comes out of the kitchen with a cake, and a procession of servers and the photographer behind him. They come to our table, sing happy birthday, and then he holds the cake down in front of my daughter so she can see it. What happens next?

He looks at us, winks, and smashes the cake right into her face to the hoots and howls of us and everyone around us! The photographer is taking lots of pictures at this point! Our daughter is laughing and wiping icing from her face. It was hilarious! They had a couple of towels at the ready for her to clean up, and then they brought us another cake to eat.

How he knew it was her birthday I'm not sure, because I don't think we ever mentioned it. Needless to say, it was very memorable and the pictures turned out amazing. Our daughter still talks about it.

GatorJ..you must have a fun loving, joke loving daughter and they got to know her enough for this to be funny and not a teenage beauty tragedy,,,so glad it was great fun for all...Sarah

One of the reasons my wife and I love cruising is getting to know a variety of people from various cultures around the world. It gives us an opportunity to get to know a little about places we may never get to visit.

One example was a young man (don't remember his name :() we met who worked in the buffet area on the Lido deck. My wife and I would stop by and have a snack later in the evening before heading to bed. He was from Bali and, when he saw us, took time to come over and talk to my wife and I. He was very open about his culture and allowed us to ask him whatever we wanted.

One night, he saw us and loaned us a book on Bali, so that we could learn more. I did take time to read through some of it in the evening, but it was such a nice gesture that he wanted to share more about his country and culture with us.

That and the fact that the bartender by the pool remembered that my wife liked a "dirty banana" and would have one ready for her anytime she showed up. :)

In 2008 we had an aft wrap on deck 8 on Victory sailing the NYC-Canada route. DH was standing at the rail when his glasses let go from the cord around his neck and ended up down on deck 7. Our cabin steward told us he would go retrieve them, and not too much later returned with the glasses - minus one lens, which had popped out. He told us he would ask that cabin's steward to keep an eye out for it.

The next day we ran into a nasty squall, complete with hail. We figured the lens was lost for good. However, after dinner our cabin steward came to our cabin with the lens, wrapped in a tissue. Both stewards went way above and beyond!

This is a great thread!! I haven't even read through all the posts, but can definitely see that Carnival has some great people working for them!

A few years ago our one daughter would order a steak every night in the MDR, and one of our servers would come over and cut it for her (mind you, she was old enough to do it herself, but he insisted!) His name was Amadi, and it was on the Glory. :)

Feb. 2012, SIL fell in the atrium of the Carnival Magic breaking her hip on the last evening of our cruise. SIL is autistic and can be difficult to deal with, but the staff was very understanding and worked with us. She was sedated and placed back in her cabin to await medical disembarkation the next morning in Galveston. That night at dinner our waiters asked about my MIL and SIL, we told them what happened, they asked that we find out what my MIL and SIL would like to eat and they would deliver it to the room, of course SIL was not in any shape or mood to eat, but MIL decided on a meal and our waiters took the time to go personally deliver it and check on them. Over the next few days after surgery, someone from Carnival would call my MIL and check on SIL, MIL had purchased trip insurance outside of Carnival's and was having trouble getting them to cover the trip home to an Oklahoma Rehab Cnt. near our home. The insurance company wanted my 72 yr. old MIL to rent a van and get her daughter to Houston Int. Airport and fly her to DFW, rent another van and drive her to the rehab center. We were working on the insurance company from home also. My MIL's phone rings and it's the same nice lady from Carnival checking on how SIL is doing since she got home, MIL informed her (Wish I knew her name) that they were still in the hospital in Galveston fighting with the trip insurance company about how to get them home, we were about to rent a van and drive down to get them but needed an RN to travel with us. The wonderful lady at Carnival asked for the phone number and a contact name for the trip insurance company, within 30 minutes time MIL got a phone call saying that an ambulance would be arriving within the hour to take them both the 7 hours home directly to the rehab center. Never have found out what was said to whom or what kind of deal was made, but it sure was a blessing to my family that Carnival checked in with us that day. Have taken 3 more cruises with Carnival since then and another booked for this fall, I'm sure we will eventually check out other lines for a change of pace, but have no intentions of that as of now. Like others have said on this thread, we have been treated so wonderfully by the staff onboard their ships, waiters remembering us from previous cruises, stewards going above and beyond, etc.. On our last cruise in January we had our DS and DIL and 2 GS's along ages 5 and 9 months, we received so much attention with those two little ones, we felt so sorry for the staff who are missing their little ones and loved ones back home. Keep this thread alive please, there are so many wonderful stories/memories that have been had on the high seas and with Carnival personnel making it special! Happy Sails!