NCL Star Review & Ship Video Tour

Sheebah

We are scheduled for December 2015 out of Tampa. Post refurb :D You said that the dining room food had hits and misses and it took a while to learn what you liked and disliked.

If you can be so kind, can you share what you enjoyed eating and thought wasn't so good.

Yes it could be a matter of taste, but sometimes it is what it is.

Awesome review!! Loved the fair and balanced opinion.

Edited by DreamingBig1

Thank you!

You may find the cabin a little tight for 3 adults however the curtain divider is helpful. When we sail with my mom, we get her an inside cabin across the hall and she enjoys our balcony all the time. It's more expensive but gives us a bit of space.

I believe Cagneys offers vegetarian options, however I understand she may not enjoy a steakhouse.

How long is your sailing?

Packing tips:

Cruise Tips TV:

Hi again, sorry for the delayed reply. It's a 13 nighter, Miami to LA thru the canal. The closer we get, the more I'd have done things differently if I had it to do over. We picked the mini-suite-for-3 because she couldn't afford a room on her own. If I were doing this again, I'd have sprung for the difference in cost and either gone with your idea of an inside for her, or even a balcony next to us, so that we COULD have our privacy. Live and learn, I guess, and plan differently next time. We're down to just a bit over a week before sailing.

I ended up making a res at La Cucina for the first night, looking forward to that. Thanks again for your videos and review. Happy sailing!

We are scheduled for December 2015 out of Tampa. Post refurb :D You said that the dining room food had hits and misses and it took a while to learn what you liked and disliked.

If you can be so kind, can you share what you enjoyed eating and thought wasn't so good.

Yes it could be a matter of taste, but sometimes it is what it is.

Awesome review!! Loved the fair and balanced opinion.

Yes, I'd be happy to.

Loved: dinners in mdr- chicken parmesan, grilled corvina and any grilled fish, lasagna , all appetizer salads. Lunch in main dining room was always relaxing and delicious Calamari is terrific!! Wedge fries great too! It beats the buffet because the wake view is stunning and it just feels more civilized.

Poolside grill- burgers, etc.

Anything and everything at Cagney's.

Indian food and salad bar at buffet.

Not so great: Kids pizza (crazy spicey-.bizarre!!!). Overly creamy pastas in dining room that shouldn't have been creamy (like Linguine with clams).

Spaghetti bolongese (dry).

They definitely take some shortcuts in the dining rooms so I'd plan several nights in specialty if you can.

This video shows all the pics we took in the dining rooms, and the buffet one is coming soon. We also did a video review of Cagney's:

Food on the Norwegian Star Pt 1:

Thanks for the information! ! We will stay away from those mentioned.

We are definitely doing one day at specialty.

We kind of expect food to be a notch below on ships period.

Even when we went on Celebrity which has kind of a reputation for better food we found it to be good but not great.

It's all about the experience.

I will definitely watch the video.

Cagneys and Teppanyaki sound like the ones that we would enjoy the most.

Thanks again and looking forward to your next trip report and videos!

Thanks for the information! ! We will stay away from those mentioned.

We are definitely doing one day at specialty.

We kind of expect food to be a notch below on ships period.

Even when we went on Celebrity which has kind of a reputation for better food we found it to be good but not great.

It's all about the experience.

I will definitely watch the video.

Cagneys and Teppanyaki sound like the ones that we would enjoy the most.

Thanks again and looking forward to your next trip report and videos!

Cagney's and teppanyaki would be my choices too. I LIKE your strategy of adjusting expectations onboard. Looking forward to hearing from you when you return.

Packing tips:

Cruise Tips TV:

Hi again, sorry for the delayed reply. It's a 13 nighter, Miami to LA thru the canal. The closer we get, the more I'd have done things differently if I had it to do over. We picked the mini-suite-for-3 because she couldn't afford a room on her own. If I were doing this again, I'd have sprung for the difference in cost and either gone with your idea of an inside for her, or even a balcony next to us, so that we COULD have our privacy. Live and learn, I guess, and plan differently next time. We're down to just a bit over a week before sailing.

I ended up making a res at La Cucina for the first night, looking forward to that. Thanks again for your videos and review. Happy sailing!

That sounds like an amazing itinerary and is certainly on my dream cruise list. The balcony will give you added "escape space" as well.

I hear you- sometimes these choices come down to money. For us, they always do. We are sailing in a tiny inside cabin to Alaska again soon because the balconies are $3000 more for the three of us. It's a sacrifice but with some planning, we will look back fondly.

Let me know how it goes!

Packing tips:

Cruise Tips TV:

Thanks for these videos.

We are sailing next month and while we have sailed the Star, we are taking my mother who has not, and my BFF who has never been on a cruise before. I've sent these to them - very helpful!

That's so cool! I hope you have a great time? Are you doing the Mexican riviera? Maybe you'll have some whale sightings. We saw a ton last February in cabo.

Packing tips:

Cruise Tips TV:

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the review and the videos. We'll be in 11502 port side on Nov. 1 and looking forward to it!

Is that the cabin on the opposite side of the ship in the same location? We loved that area- so quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
Is that the cabin on the opposite side of the ship in the same location? We loved that area- so quiet.

Yes, opposite side. Second one in from the front. Glad to know you loved it.

We're excited about the views we'll get there, as well. And my guess is most of the folks we'll see in that area are crew.