Navigator or Freedom?

LeCricket

Happy Saturday!

We are looking at 2 different cruises, and are having some trouble deciding. We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children, ages 12 and 14 (girls). We live in New Mexico, so we will need to fly to our port.

Here are the cruises we're mulling around right now:

Option #1- Navigator- 7 night western Caribbean from Galveston. Ports are Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel. Airfare is cheaper for us, but I wonder about the hassle getting to Galveston from Houston. The cruise is cheaper as well. We will be getting two rooms, probably inside.

Option #2- Freedom- 7 night eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral. Coco Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. Airfare and cruise are more expensive, but the Freedom appears to be a nicer ship.

Concerns:

1. Which ship do you think teens/tweens would like best? My girls are like most, will want to swim, watch movies, hang in the kids' club, etc.

2.Do you prefer the eastern ports over the western? I'm leaning towards the eastern, but the price difference for our family with the airfare and cruise would be about $1500. Not sure if it's worth it. We can afford either, but we would have more spending money on the cheaper cruise.

3. Is Port Canaveral easier to get in and out of than Galveston? Galveston seems like I big hassle, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help!

I suppose you have to decide what is more important.... the ship, the itinerary, the ease of getting to the port, or the cost. :D

For the Western ports.... I've been to Belize and Cozumel. It takes a while to tender in Belize to the shore because you have to anchor far away. We ziplined there. It was ok. I LOVE Cozumel (been there 5 times). I'd go back in a heart beat and may ferry over there during our land vacay next month to Playa Del Carmen. I have never sailed out of Galveston.

For the Eastern ports.... they are so scenic! I've been to all three. We hired a captain in St. Thomas last time and sailed to the British Virgin Islands, stopping various times to swim at deserted beaches, anchor at a island restaurant, snorkel with turtles. Amazing. Best jerk chicken I've ever had was in St. Maarten. It's been over a decade since I've been to Coco Cay, but it's a solid beach day.

Port Canaveral... lived in Orlando for 20 years, so I can speak to this departure port. I love Cocoa Beach (next door to the port). That is where you'd want to stay if you fly in precruise. Or, you can stay at the airport Hyatt which is located inside the airport. Options for getting to Cocoa include one-way car rental or arrange transport through a hotel, like the Radisson. Cocoa is about a 40 or so minute drive from the airport. If you opt to stay at the airport, take the ship transfer or a cab. Thus, it's not a hassle, but does need some preplanning.

Edited by leighuf

Happy Saturday!

We are looking at 2 different cruises, and are having some trouble deciding. We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children, ages 12 and 14 (girls). We live in New Mexico, so we will need to fly to our port.

Here are the cruises we're mulling around right now:

Option #1- Navigator- 7 night western Caribbean from Galveston. Ports are Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel. Airfare is cheaper for us, but I wonder about the hassle getting to Galveston from Houston. The cruise is cheaper as well. We will be getting two rooms, probably inside.

Option #2- Freedom- 7 night eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral. Coco Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. Airfare and cruise are more expensive, but the Freedom appears to be a nicer ship.

Concerns:

1. Which ship do you think teens/tweens would like best? My girls are like most, will want to swim, watch movies, hang in the kids' club, etc.

2.Do you prefer the eastern ports over the western? I'm leaning towards the eastern, but the price difference for our family with the airfare and cruise would be about $1500. Not sure if it's worth it. We can afford either, but we would have more spending money on the cheaper cruise.

3. Is Port Canaveral easier to get in and out of than Galveston? Galveston seems like I big hassle, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help!

1) The Freedom of the Seas is basically a stretched Navigator of the Seas. The main differences are that the Freedom of the Seas has a Flowrider (a surfing simulator) and the H2O Zone (a small water park that is an elementary and preschool aged children magnet. Both ships have excellent teen programs. I have been on the Navigator twice and the Freedom once (second time is this April). Here are links to my reviews which include many pictures ...

Navigator - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810031

Freedom - oops, that cruise was in 2007 and I only have links to my reviews going back to 2008. So I'll post a link to my two photo album from that cruise:

Album 1 - http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/slideshow/RC%20Freedom%20OTS

Album 2 - http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/slideshow/RC%20Freedom%20OTS%202

2) I'm not going to address eastern vs. western as there are many more ports than the six you mentioned. The Freedom's itinerary is the one I'll be on in April. I have not been to Coco Cay yet (again, I'll be there in April). It is Royal Caribbean's private island. Basically it is a beach day. I've been to the other two ports many times (St. Thomas x 4 and St. Maarten x 5) and both have many things to offer. I'll be doing something different (from prior visits) in each port.

I have not been to Belize. I've been to Roatan once and Cozumel several times. Belize involves a very long tender ride. Roatan was fun and I wouldn't mind visiting again. Cozumel has a lot to offer.

Between the two itineraries I would choose Freedom because of Belize. However, I should point out that I've been on 26 cruises and I've visited many of the Caribbean ports more than once. So I am looking for something new. In 2016 I'll be on the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston which has the same itinerary as the Navigator.

3) Both ports are a long way from the major airports. If you go to Galveston, fly Southwest to Hobby. Hobby is south of Houston and thus cost less to get to Galveston vs. Bush. All the other airlines use Bush. I landed at Bush. It cost me as much to go from Houston to Galveston as it did to go from LAX to Bush. The reason it is so expensive is that there are no rental car offices on Galveston. Port Canaveral is also a long way from MCO, but there are rental car offices in Cocoa Beach, so the cost of transportation is less because you can rent a car one way, cruise and rent a car one way back to MCO (or take the ship's transportation back to MCO - I take a shore excursion to the Kennedy Space Center and then to MCO and then take a late flight home). When I was in Galveston, I took the ship's excursion to NASA and then to Bush.

Another consideration is that you will likely have to fly in the day before for Port Canaveral. While I recommend you fly in the day before (or earlier) for any cruise, you might be willing to chance a flight into Hobby from New Mexico on Southwest the day of the cruise. That would save so money, but again I do recommend flying in the day before.

Well, hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the help, everyone. Although neither port seems easy to get to, I think I can cross that off as a factor in our decision. Good to know. :D

Navigator is looking like a really good option, now, even though a few hours ago, I was pretty sold on the Freedom. I still like the eastern caribbean itinerary on the Freedom, but i'm sure this won't be our last cruise! Whichever we choose will be fun, and we shoot for the other next time.

We do plan to fly in the night before, regardless of which cruise we take. I could never take a chance on missing the cruise.

Cricket

As was said, if you decide the Navigator, fly into Hobby, via Southwest. Also, the Navigator has Sabore, a great Mexican food specialty dining. (and the best Margaritas on the ship) :D

THanks. I checked into SW after Cuiser suggested it. It was cheaper for me than flying into the other airport (and closer). WIN! :)

I would choose the Navigator over the Freedom. If the Navigator staff is anything like the Explorer you will love it. We are cruising on the Navigator next Feb 2016, and it is newly renovated. I hated my Freedom cruise. I took 2 grown daughters and granddaughter, on the Freedom in Feb 2013, the dinning room service was horrible. Cabin steward was a little lacking as well. They wouldn't let granddaughter in splash area because she wasn't totallly potty trained. Also no tiney tots area for her. They used a bar area and minimal toys and her mom was with her there. You had to pay for child care for those not totally potty trained and you wanted time for yourself. No special things for D+ cruisers on this ship other and breakfast with Captain and staff last day at sea. I had the pleasure of eating at his table that morning. Go with the Navigator you won't be dissapointed.

Based on the desires you have for your teens, Freedom would be best. I have taken my teen girls on both. They are similar in amenities and features but they like Freedom far better. Seem to be more teens, as a general rule, on Freedom, so more chance for lots of kids they can hook up with. I kind of think the fact Freedom goes out of port canaveral, alot of passengers take a few pre or post cruise days in Orlando at the various parks and this increases the number of teens/kids. As far as ports you will enjoy all of them, though Belize has gotton increasingly dangerous if you try to do things on your own. Lastly, Port canaveral is more accessible in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Navigator now has the flowrider and is very close to the Freedom. Just missing the H2O zone, but that is for kids smaller than yours. The promenade is slightly smaller and does not have Sorrentos.

I would call both ships equal and base my decision solely on price and itinerary.

This, the ships are basically equal now.

A few other minor differences: Freedom has fresh water pools, Navigator has saltwater. Navigator has a hot tub in the gym. The Solarium is slightly more attractive/bigger on Freedom. Freedom also has the cantilevered hot tubs. The H20 zone does help keep down the crowds in the main pool.

Even though Navigator doesn't have a Sorrentos, I believe you can still get the same pizza at Cafe Promenade.

My Favorite port is St. Martin and St. Thomas is pretty nice too. Cozumel is probably my second favorite port, never been to Belize or Roatan (scheduled to go in November on Liberty).

For equal money I'd do Freedom, for $1500 difference, I'd be on Navigator.

Based on the desires you have for your teens, Freedom would be best. I have taken my teen girls on both. They are similar in amenities and features but they like Freedom far better. Seem to be more teens, as a general rule, on Freedom, so more chance for lots of kids they can hook up with. I kind of think the fact Freedom goes out of port canaveral, alot of passengers take a few pre or post cruise days in Orlando at the various parks and this increases the number of teens/kids. As far as ports you will enjoy all of them, though Belize has gotton increasingly dangerous if you try to do things on your own. Lastly, Port canaveral is more accessible in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for this. I didn't think about there being more kids on the ship because it departs from MCO and people will be doing theme parks before and after. Makes total sense! They would love to have a lot of kids on the cruise.