Family Harbour suite - yes, no or maybe?

Over Land & Sea

We are looking for opinions regarding the noise level on deck 2 family area due to the galley and main dining room directly above. I am assuming it would be worse to be under the galley vs further in the aft, is this correct? However, booking a room at the very aft also concerns me due to the noise from the engine and when we dock, etc.

Also, I worry about the lounge being very loud with 24/7 access. I do not know what the rules will be in terms of children/ teens being allowed in the lounge without parental supervision. This could really determine what the atmosphere will be like.

We really want to check out the family rooms for the access to the lounge with a son who will be 5 at the time we would sail, but these noise issues really concern me. It even seems like the balconies on deck 2 are in a really poor location, even if we did choose to spend a little more than the ocean view we normally book. Opinions, please?

We are looking for opinions regarding the noise level on deck 2 family area due to the galley and main dining room directly above. I am assuming it would be worse to be under the galley vs further in the aft, is this correct? However, booking a room at the very aft also concerns me due to the noise from the engine and when we dock, etc.

Also, I worry about the lounge being very loud with 24/7 access. I do not know what the rules will be in terms of children/ teens being allowed in the lounge without parental supervision. This could really determine what the atmosphere will be like.

We really want to check out the family rooms for the access to the lounge with a son who will be 5 at the time we would sail, but these noise issues really concern me. It even seems like the balconies on deck 2 are in a really poor location, even if we did choose to spend a little more than the ocean view we normally book. Opinions, please?

It has been mentioned earlier in the thread that the area is not open 24/7 to non family harbour cruisers though finding that confirmation on Carnival website is hard to find.

As regards engine noise I cannot comment, we usually sail midships. I would never choose to cruise under a public area & especially the galley, unless I had got first hand info on soundproofing.

Correct, but it IS open 24/7 to those staying in the family harbor staterooms (I found that here http://cruisedeckplans.com/Carnival/fleet/vista/Carnival%20Vista.html) That is what is concerning to me, as many of the rooms that remain available on the cruise we are looking at are virtually right outside the family lounge (other than those in the very aft). Tough to weigh the options...

Glad I read this... we have a 4 person FH Suite booked and this discussion prompted me to look at the bed configuration. A double pull out sofa is not going to work for a 14 year old boy and 5 year old girl!

My PVP recommended that we sleep on the sofabed and give the kids the twins. Um no. Not paying for a suite to sleep on a sofabed!

She is going to call tomorrow and try to get us into one of the 5 person FH suites since they have pull downs, but she said they may not let us since we don't have 5 people. They will definitely be losing out on a suite sale then and they better not charge me a fee to downgrade to a balcony since it would be them not working with me on a bedding configuration.

Well the cookies and milk at bedtime are a nice touch, but 24 hr soft serve in the lounge? Kid heaven :D

Breakfast and Snacks

· Self serve breakfast stations open on port days, 6:30am-9:30am and sea days, 7:30am-10:30am, serving: pastries, yogurt, deli meats, cereal, cut fruit, coffee, tea, water and orange juice.

· Self serve snack stations open daily, 3:00pm-5:00pm, serving: sandwiches, pastries and cookies.

· Self serve cookies and milk at family bedtime, 9:00pm-11:00pm each evening.

· Swirls soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt machines, 24/7

I booked a family harbor deluxe oceanview cabin for my family and I. I have done deluxe oceanview cabins since sailing on the Dream and love them. They are larger than regular oceanview cabins and the double bathroom is a huge plus - especially when you are the only female in the family/cabin. They still offer regular standard deluxe oceanview cabins with the two bathrooms, but I opted for the family harbor because of the perks and new decor. The rooms look beautiful and I am excited to be staying in one for our European cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalki

I wonder what the grey area is on the deck plans between the delux OV and normal OV at the back of the boat? Any ideas?

My guess would be a narrow service room. Maybe housekeeping?

The large grey area behind the aft-facing OV would be the bump out from deck 1. The aft hull seems to have a rather funny shape, IMO.

My guess would be a narrow service room. Maybe housekeeping?

The large grey area behind the aft-facing OV would be the bump out from deck 1. The aft hull seems to have a rather funny shape, IMO.

Yes unfortunately the aft facing OV's actually have a view of a working rear deck, so are really obstructed OV's really. How much a view of water is available is just another thing to wait and see about the Vista...

Again thanks Carnival for crappy views in a crappy location for families! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Well the cookies and milk at bedtime are a nice touch, but 24 hr soft serve in the lounge? Kid heaven :D

Breakfast and Snacks

· Self serve breakfast stations open on port days, 6:30am-9:30am and sea days, 7:30am-10:30am, serving: pastries, yogurt, deli meats, cereal, cut fruit, coffee, tea, water and orange juice.

· Self serve snack stations open daily, 3:00pm-5:00pm, serving: sandwiches, pastries and cookies.

· Self serve cookies and milk at family bedtime, 9:00pm-11:00pm each evening.

· Swirls soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt machines, 24/7

Wow! That sounds awesome.

Still undecided about what date to book but looks like this is the room for us :)

Wow! That sounds awesome.

Still undecided about what date to book but looks like this is the room for us :)

I would love a FH Suite, but it's a little too rich for my blood at the moment. I'm booked in a FH Deluxe OV for the repo sailing and my kids are so excited for it! The FH Coves are nice too, but there's only 4 of them :(

I would love a FH Suite, but it's a little too rich for my blood at the moment. I'm booked in a FH Deluxe OV for the repo sailing and my kids are so excited for it! The FH Coves are nice too, but there's only 4 of them :(

Yep and all under the galley. To much possibility of noise all night long, and if I paid suite prices. Cool idea, dreadful location.

We are looking at Family Harbor Interior for the Med cruise. Are those rooms under the galley or under the dining room?

Still deciding if we are going for the 8, 10 or 12 days. We haven't been to the Med so the ports are more important to us.

Thanks!

Wow FH Deluxe OV looks really pretty! :)

We are just looking at the Family Harbor Interior right now since the Med cruises is port intensive and we probably need to spend a lot on excursions.

The Family Harbor Lounge looks really cool!

Wow FH Deluxe OV looks really pretty! :)

We are just looking at the Family Harbor Interior right now since the Med cruises is port intensive and we probably need to spend a lot on excursions.

The Family Harbor Lounge looks really cool!

Thanks! I thought so too. :)

We were originally booked in an Interior, but upgraded to the OV. The upgrade was about $560 for our family of 4 for the 11-day repo...well worth it for not just the extra space, but also the added washroom!

All of the Interiors are under the main dining room, none are under the galley. All of the Suites and Coves are under the galley, so noise could be an issue there. For the OVs, the first 4-5 on each side are under the galley, the rest are under the dining room. I made sure I picked one that wasn't under the galley, which also works out well as not being too close to the elevators and Lounge, both of which can also generate noise.

We are looking at Family Harbor Interior for the Med cruise. Are those rooms under the galley or under the dining room?

Still deciding if we are going for the 8, 10 or 12 days. We haven't been to the Med so the ports are more important to us.

Thanks!

No most of them are under the MDR, which would be the better choice. Carpeted and not as noisy. The first few might be on the edge of the galley and some of the Superior OV are under the galley too, the forward most ones.

I would book OV 2430/2447 and aft to make sure I was under the MDR

Thanks! I thought so too. :)

We were originally booked in an Interior, but upgraded to the OV. The upgrade was about $560 for our family of 4 for the 11-day repo...well worth it for not just the extra space, but also the added washroom!

All of the Interiors are under the main dining room, none are under the galley. All of the Suites and Coves are under the galley, so noise could be an issue there. For the OVs, the first 4-5 on each side are under the galley, the rest are under the dining room. I made sure I picked one that wasn't under the galley, which also works out well as not being too close to the elevators and Lounge, both of which can also generate noise.

No most of them are under the MDR, which would be the better choice. Carpeted and not as noisy. The first few might be on the edge of the galley and some of the Superior OV are under the galley too, the forward most ones.

I would book OV 2430/2447 and aft to make sure I was under the MDR

Good to know that the Family Harbor Interior rooms are not under the galley. Thanks for all the info! :)

Kids (under 12 years of age) eat free at the ‘for-pay’ dining restaurants (excluding Chef’s Table) – Children must dine with adult and order off Kids’ menu.

That's helpful at the steakhouse, if I wanted to take my kids there.

It saves me at Cucina a small amount of money and does it really help at Red Frog or the Seafood Shack?

Kids could always order off the kids menu for free, couldn't they?

Only the steakhouse was this not true.

Just doesn't seem like much of a perk, given the rather poor location the FH area is located on the ship.

Only the steakhouse does this really make any difference.

Edited by legion3

That's helpful at the steakhouse, if I wanted to take my kids there.

It saves me at Cucina a small amount of money and does it really help at Red Frog or the Seafood Shack?

Kids could always order off the kids menu for free, couldn't they?

Only the steakhouse was this not true.

Just doesn't seem like much of a perk, given the rather poor location the FH area is located on the ship.

Only the steakhouse does this really make any difference.

Kids (and adults) could always order from the kid's menu in the MDR for no extra charge. Not so in other venues and I have never seen a kid's menu for the steakhouse.

I don't consider Red Frog to be a restaurant and not sure about the Seafood Shack as that is a new venue.

• 3 months later...

We had to change our sailing date and we decided to book a FH Deluxe OV instead of our normal balcony. My kids will be 11 and 13 but are both very excited about the lounge area with snacks for when we get back from port and cookies before bed! I'm hesitant about being in an OV far away from the fresh air and all the activities I enjoy but I am looking forward to the new decor.

Well the cookies and milk at bedtime are a nice touch

9 pm - 11 pm seems awfully late for "family bedtime".

Maybe kids in my family go to bed particularly early, but even on vacation- little ones don't stay up late enough to eat a cookie at 9!