Vista in Europe, Cruise or Not to Cruise

vanstare

Hello all,

My family and I are book on an April sailing on the Anthem of the Seas to the Caribbean, but we just found out the Carnival Vista is to set sail in Europe. Big boat cruising in Europe! We love the newer, larger ships, and we love Europe!

We were ready to cancel our Anthem cruise but we are hesitant about Carnival. Our first cruise was on the Valor, which was amazing, but we went on the Breeze last year and was unimpressed with the ship, food and their service.

We have also cruised with Royal Caribbean twice (Allure in Caribbean and Splendour in Europe), and we love their service and food. Just not a fan of the small ships in Europe.

I know Carnival hasn't been in Europe for three years but I have some questions..

Has anyone been on a Carnival cruise in Europe? How is the service and food?

Is the price worth it for Carnival? About $1850 for 10 days for a balcony.. I recall paying over $1300 for an oceanview on Royal Caribbean for 7 days for Europe.

Any other thoughts or advice that may help us on our decision making? I'd love your two cents!

Thank you in advance!

We have sailed Carnival multiple times, including Europe. One of our Med cruises was on the Breeze. We encountered terrible weather so that put a damper on it, but we enjoyed the ship. We've always been happy with service and food on Carnival, and Breeze certainly didn't disappoint us.

Since you say you didn't like that ship I think you will be unimpressed with Vista also. They are basically the same ship, although Vista is a tad larger. It has some interesting looking new cabin classes (Havana Cabanas on deck 5 and Family Harbor cabins on deck 2), and a few club/restaurant options that Breeze doesn't have, but they will be a very similar experience.

It's a shame Breeze wasn't to your liking. But you should go where you're comfortable. Lots of choices out there.

We have sailed Carnival multiple times, including Europe. One of our Med cruises was on the Breeze. We encountered terrible weather so that put a damper on it, but we enjoyed the ship. We've always been happy with service and food on Carnival, and Breeze certainly didn't disappoint us.

Since you say you didn't like that ship I think you will be unimpressed with Vista also. They are basically the same ship, although Vista is a tad larger. It has some interesting looking new cabin classes (Havana Cabanas on deck 5 and Family Harbor cabins on deck 2), and a few club/restaurant options that Breeze doesn't have, but they will be a very similar experience.

It's a shame Breeze wasn't to your liking. But you should go where you're comfortable. Lots of choices out there.

Thanks for your input! Appreciate your thoughts.

Maybe I should rephrase the part where I said we were unimpressed with the ship. We didn't enjoy the service or food. But.. it wasn't that we didn't enjoy the ship, more like.. situations on the ship caused us disappointments. There were many incidents where people were either fighting (trying to physically start fights) and being nasty to each other while we were in line for the comedy club, for the buffet.. I never noticed these problems on Disney or Royal Caribbean. Also.. a person passed away in the stateroom next door. Very tragic.

For what it's worth my view is if you really want to cruise on a new ship in Europe then do the Vista. If cost is a major factor stay on the Anthem and wait for Vista to home port in the U.S.

The prices you quoted are not that dissimilar to each other but you also have to factor in additional air fares to get to Europe.

We've sailed Europe several times and have usually had no more than one bad weather day. We did one trip on the Breeze and loved it, good food & great staff however if you are not a fan of the Breeze bear in mind Vista is a pumped up version of it.

Having not sailed on Carnival due to their asinine decision to quit Europe I am keen to cruise on Vista before it is sent across the pond.

Whatever you decide to do have a great time.

I have sailed CCL in the Caribbean and NCL Epic in Med.

I will say that CCL's food easily trumps NCL's as does the size and layout of CCL's cabins. The "family" balcony on the Epic was laughably small and poorly laid out, you couldn't even open the balcony door when the sofa bed or over head bed were pulled out. Nor could you open a closet door.

As far as price goes, this seems right on point. We paid right at $1000 for pax 1 and 2 for a 7 day on a balcony on the Epic three years ago.

Thanks for your input! Appreciate your thoughts.

Maybe I should rephrase the part where I said we were unimpressed with the ship. We didn't enjoy the service or food. But.. it wasn't that we didn't enjoy the ship, more like.. situations on the ship caused us disappointments. There were many incidents where people were either fighting (trying to physically start fights) and being nasty to each other while we were in line for the comedy club, for the buffet.. I never noticed these problems on Disney or Royal Caribbean. Also.. a person passed away in the stateroom next door. Very tragic.

Most likely these type of customers that you have experienced in the past on Carnival, will not be sailing in Europe. It tends to be a little too pricey for them.

Like others have said, if you want to try the Vista, definitely do it while she is in Europe.

Most likely these type of customers that you have experienced in the past on Carnival, will not be sailing in Europe. It tends to be a little too pricey for them.

Like others have said, if you want to try the Vista, definitely do it while she is in Europe.

I never cruised the Med (though have taken land trips), I agree with this post. The longer cruises attract a more normal crowd.....Even with cruises in the Caribbean, the 7 day or longer cruises are way different than then 3 and 4 day booze cruises out of Miami. I did a 4 day once (Ecstasy), never again.

Same goes for RC...I did a short cruise on the Majesty and was not impressed, but I doubt an RC cruise on say the Liberty of the Seas would be the same. Longer cruise, more affluent families, less debauchery :cool:

We did the med and transatlantic on the Sunshine, 2013. The Med cruise was 10 port intensive days with not much time to explore the ship. The passengers are so beat at the end of the day it's quiet time off to bed to be ready for the next day. It was fun but then the 16 day transatlantic home was great time to unwind. Great amount of days to explore. Doing the same on the Vista.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked, September 2016 on the Vista, on the Lido deck forward, we liked the ports and length of cruise. I was told that the architecture of the ship will be very different from Carnival fleet. More spaces to gather- which we did like on the Breeze! Just an opportunity to sail on a new ship and in Europe!

Looking forward to our European Vista cruise with Carnival. This past November we did a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Glory. We really loved Carnival mainly because of the friendliness and customer service which we found lacking on our European Royal Caribbean cruise last May. A European cruise is port intensive. Your ship is basically a floating hotel which allows you to enjoy some of the greatest cities in Europe which are full of history, architecture and art. It is totally different than a Caribbean vacation where the main attraction is definitely enjoying the beautiful Caribbean and it's lovely beaches and water activities. We just booked an interior room for the Vista since we know we won't be staying much onboard. Can't wait to go! 😄

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did it! We booked the Vista. No cancelling because we've forked over a lot of extra money due to the currency exchange. We figured we're there to see the ports, so even if we don't enjoy the ship, it'll be okay!

Thanks for your input everyone :)

We did it! We booked the Vista. No cancelling because we've forked over a lot of extra money due to the currency exchange. We figured we're there to see the ports, so even if we don't enjoy the ship, it'll be okay!

Thanks for your input everyone :)

Congrats! The Vista looks lovely, I am sure the ship will be very enjoyable!

We wondered about this as well, good to know! We loved the Breeze, but the crowd on our 6 day Caribbean cruise last summer was still a bit wilder than we liked.

OP, I see that it looks like you went ahead and booked - congrats!

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by sailawaybellaluna View Post

...And we've just booked the Vista in Europe for next summer too!

Here's my review of our Med Cruise on the Breeze back in 2012 if it helps!

Which sailing?

We booked the 10-day from Athens! One of my best friends lives in Athens, so we're planning to go 4 days early and stay with her, and explore a bit (my husband and son haven't ever been).

I thought 10 days was the perfect amount of time for us. The 12-day on the Breeze (while AMAZING), was a bit long. Plus, Turkey and Malta, Marseilles and Rhodes will be new for us!

We'll be ending in Barcelona and spending 3 days on the tail end, and since it backs right up to the 4th of July holiday, it made sense because it was the longest stretch I could keep my husband away from his job! His work can really get in the way with my cruise planning! :p

We booked the 10-day from Athens! One of my best friends lives in Athens, so we're planning to go 4 days early and stay with her, and explore a bit (my husband and son haven't ever been).

I thought 10 days was the perfect amount of time for us. The 12-day on the Breeze (while AMAZING), was a bit long. Plus, Turkey and Malta, Marseilles and Rhodes will be new for us!

We'll be ending in Barcelona and spending 3 days on the tail end, and since it backs right up to the 4th of July holiday, it made sense because it was the longest stretch I could keep my husband away from his job! His work can really get in the way with my cruise planning! :p

OMG! You are on our sailing! I absolutely loved your review of Breeze and your adorable son. You must join our roll call.