Cost of UDP - Platinum $20 Discount - Only Online

logan25

I tried to research the issue before I cruised but came up empty. So forgive me if this is old information.

I considered buying the UDP prior to cruising. However, we had such difficulty getting into Moderno twice (didn't try any other specialty restaurant) in one week when we sailed on Jewel in November 2014, that I was very leery of running into capacity issues again. After all, what would be the point of spending the bucks for UDP, if I can't find space at the specialty restaurants.

So I did not buy the option prior to sailing and planned to buy onboard if the ship's staff could assure me passengers do not experience any problem finding space (except for Teppanyaki, which is very small). After receiving that reassurance face-to-face, I was ready to buy. Come to find out the package price is not reduced by $20 (discount for Platinum cruisers).

I spoke to two different restaurant reservation staff members, guest services, and NCL.com on the day of embarkation. All were in agreement. The price would be $119 (7-night sailing), rather than $99 as available online. End of story.

On principle, I made the decision to pass. I appreciate the Hotel Director kindly made time to speak with me later in the week. While he listened to my concerns, there was nothing resolved. He did offer to pass along my dissatisfaction to corporate that as a Platinum cruiser, I do not agree the discount should only be available prior to boarding.

My goal here is not to start a debate, but simply to inform other Platinum cruisers who decide to purchase UDP, before sailing or onboard.

Edited by logan25

I tried to research the issue before I cruised but came up empty. So forgive me if this is old information.

I considered buying the UDP prior to cruising. However, we had such difficulty getting into Moderno twice (didn't try any other specialty restaurant) in one week when we sailed on Jewel in November 2014, that I was very leery of running into capacity issues again. After all, what would be the point of spending the bucks for UDP, if I can't find space at the specialty restaurants.

So I did not buy the option prior to sailing and planned to buy onboard if the ship's staff could assure me passengers do not experience any problem finding space (except for Teppanyaki, which is very small). After receiving that reassurance face-to-face, I was ready to buy. Come to find out the package price is not reduced by $20 (discount for Platinum cruisers).

I spoke to two different restaurant reservation staff members, guest services, and NCL.com on the day of embarkation. All were in agreement. The price would be $119 (7-night sailing), rather than $99 as available online. End of story.

On principle, I made the decision to pass. I appreciate the Hotel Director kindly made time to speak with me later in the week. While he listened to my concerns, there was nothing resolved. He did offer to pass along my dissatisfaction to corporate that as a Platinum cruiser, I do not agree the discount should only be available prior to boarding.

My goal here is not to start a debate, but simply to inform other Platinum cruisers who decide to purchase UDP, before sailing or onboard.

Off the Jewel this past saturday and we did get the $20 discount.

We purchased the UDP online prior to our cruise on the Jade in December 2014. With your Platinum voucher you get a bottle of wine with dinner in LeBistro or other restaurants that accept the voucher.

This is a platinum perk ( getting the bottle of wine) and has nothing to do with the free dinner or the 20 dollars off the UDP

We just came back from the SUN and purchased the UDP onboard. Had no issue getting the credit as a platinum latitude. Actually your keycard shows your latitude status so you should have gotten the discount.

Edited by NJLVW

Ok, now I'm more disappointed/sad than I was onboard. Yes, it was on the Sun last week. It would seem that all the personnel I spoke with are clearly ill-informed. So what I wanted was possible, but not one of those people had a clue?

Does anyone have the Hotel Director's e-mail address?

Edited by logan25

Ok, now I'm more disappointed/sad than I was onboard. Yes, it was on the Sun last week. It would seem that all the personnel I spoke with are clearly ill-informed. So what I wanted was possible, but not one of those people had a clue?

Does anyone have the Hotel Director's e-mail address?

We were on the same cruise. When I purchased the UDP originally they were going to charge the full amount. I told the girl we were platinum and that we were entitled to the 20 savings. Otherwise it didn't make sense as we had 2 dinners for LeBistro for each of us being platinum. I wish you had said something at the meet & greet as it would have been taken care of right away for you.

I don't know why the different treatment. I stressed to all those people onboard and NCL corporate that I am Platinum and should not be paying $119.

This happened to me twice on the Sun in the last few months. I contacted the concierge Patrick as well as Rodel Gemeniano, the guest service manager. The situation was resolved quickly but I still cannot understand why it happened the second time.

They hand out a full-color info sheet regarding the UDP and it clearly states on there you get a $20 discount if you are platinum. Poor training and communication are the only reasons that make sense to me.