Dress code?

Kingofcool1947

'Do people on this board have a problem with Thomson? I seem to detect a degree of condescension when Thomson are mentioned.'

no problem with Thomson, but I recall a trip up Etna when a busload of Thomson cruisers came up to 6000ft suitably clad in t shirts and shorts. All got off the bus into cold snow, charged straight into the cafe and stayed there.Should they have needed information of a dress code for snowy heights?

filled in P&O questionnaire re recent oriana cruise. forgot to mention my disappointment re relaxation of dress code in the last year. appalled to see black tie nights code applies only in two bars and main restaurants, and not throughout the public areas of the ship as it used to be. people are now allowed to enter the theatre in polo shirts on black tie nights, no longer even expected to wear lounge suit and tie.

at least Cunard apply the standard still. will P&O be downgrading the dress code to the level of the rest of Carnival US ships or Thompson? Spoke to one of the officers at a party, apparently P&O need to not put off customers by demanding high standards of dress.

If the dress code was enforced across the ship, I would not go within a 1000 miles of a cruise ship. Let and let live and stop enforcing your outdated dress code on those of us who look upon a cruise as a holiday.

As previous posters have mentioned P&O will change or die.There are so many alternatives available to the younger generation, costing, in some cases, far less than a a cruise, with better food and atmosphere.

We have been to Barbados, Egypt(twice), Cyprus (three times) and Mexico(going again this spring) since we last cruised.

We will cruise again(at the right price) because we love Caribbean islands, dress smartly throughout the holiday and hope those who do formal have as good a time as we will.

As usual, some of the comments are laughable and actually quite pathetic.

Of course its all about choice and P&O acknowledge that by not restricting formal dress code to the whole ship. Personally I think they should but don't have a problem that the don't. To suggest its outdated is wrong. It may be for those who want to slob around but there are other cruise lines to choose if that is your preference. On our last cruise there were very few people who didn't dress up. To suggest that those who want to retain the present dress code in some way don't look at a cruise as a holiday is ludicrous.

Dave I was talking about the last three paragraphs, why would P&O want to change the formal nights at all when so many enjoy them.

I know that you do follow the dress code and only use the parts of the ship where casual is accepted when you decide not to wear your DJ.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

OK Dai, moritz!

group hug

group hug

Quite agree annieuk. If people don't want to dress up you can go to the buffet. We really enjoy it as we don't get much chance to do it at home :)

I have seen quite a few young people dressed up and very smart they look too.

Why can't we all just cruise together and enjoy our holiday.I fond the MDRs noisy and the food poor. Enjoyed East and the Headhouse and occasional meals in the buffet! But I will not be dictated to by some of the people that ifest this forum.

One of the somewhat sad realities when it comes to cruising is not the dress code itself, rather that people feel able to elevate themselves to the position of ships critic.

My Bentley driving accountant travels first class, holidays first class, wears suits all week and DJ's many times a year and would absolutely love a cruise barring the ingrained perception that should he break wind in the confines of his cabin WC some pompous oik will be there to judge him.

Formal nights, great, tradition, great ...but i don't understand those who have the need and time to look outside their own party on the basis that the ambience is somewhat affected by somebody smartly dresses but not wearing a jacket?

Edited by Tarquin

We are from Adelaide, Australia and joining Aurora in July for the 17 night Med Cruise. As baggage allowance is an issue for a long holiday (10 weeks) I was trying to organise dinner suit hire for use on board only to find it has closed.

Can someone advise me an alternative. We fly into London thence down to Southampton the day before boarding.

We have usually cruised with P&O & Cunard & enjoyed the formality, but last year we fancied a cruise with less formality for a change. We didn't book with P&O & ask them to change their policy, we went with a cruise line where the dress code was informal.

All cruise lines offer a product, which is well publicised. You either buy into the P&O product because you like it, or you find a cruise line that suits your taste.

We wouldn't book a holiday in Holland and complain that there were no mountains or a cruise to Antarctica and complain that it was too cold. It's very easy, do your research & if you don't like it, don't do it.

We are from Adelaide, Australia and joining Aurora in July for the 17 night Med Cruise. As baggage allowance is an issue for a long holiday (10 weeks) I was trying to organise dinner suit hire for use on board only to find it has closed.

Can someone advise me an alternative. We fly into London thence down to Southampton the day before boarding.

Southampton has a shopping centre which is minutes from the port and probably walkable from your hotel.

You will find many stores with dinner suits to buy for less than £100, Marks and Spencer one of them.

You could probably order online now to collect in store, but it should be available off the shelf also.

Alternatively Moss Bros in Southampton will hire you a dinner suit for your cruise as long as you have time to go back to the store on your return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have usually cruised with P&O & Cunard & enjoyed the formality, but last year we fancied a cruise with less formality for a change. We didn't book with P&O & ask them to change their policy, we went with a cruise line where the dress code was informal.

All cruise lines offer a product, which is well publicised. You either buy into the P&O product because you like it, or you find a cruise line that suits your taste.

We wouldn't book a holiday in Holland and complain that there were no mountains or a cruise to Antarctica and complain that it was too cold. It's very easy, do your research & if you don't like it, don't do it.

Tarquin makes the point. If P&O offer alternative dress codes on formal nights why should those who prefer formal pass judgements on those who are wearing evening casual? I Like the P&O product, for the freedom it offers to adopt the style of dress I prefer. P&O is a main stream cruise line, not a downton abbey theme park.

If do not to have to worry about cost. Don't care about length of cruise, region, availability or time of year then you are very fortunate.

If do not to have to worry about cost. Don't care about length of cruise, region, availability or time of year then you are very fortunate.

We are sort of in this boat. We don't care about length but wouldn't do under 7 days, region - any but we do like to follow the sun, the Northern Lights thread and the 6 layers of thermals does not appeal, time of year as and when and availability - well we are looking at going first week in March but haven't booked yet, we like a last minute gamble!

Quite right. A breath of fresh air. There are some who want to change what P&O do and they never cruise with them.

Tarquin makes the point. If P&O offer alternative dress codes on formal nights why should those who prefer formal pass judgements on those who are wearing evening casual?

They shouldn't. Nor should those who prefer casual wear pass judgement on those who prefer to dress more formally. All options are acceptable and there's room for every type on board.

I Like the P&O product, for the freedom it offers to adopt the style of dress I prefer.
That's why we like P&O too, because we can dress up if we want - it's one of the options. But we don't expect P&O to abandon formal options if we decide to go casual for a change. We adapt or cruise with someone else. Anyone who is open minded will have a great time, but the few who call for P&O to change to suit their needs are out of order. We sailed to the Arctic on Aurora and I would say that at least 90% of passengers dressed very formally on formal nights. That suggests that maybe P&O are getting it right.

Formal wear is more popular than I thought, it's certainly not an outdated thing. Our university city has a lot of shops that sell and hire formal wear, the students seem to love formal occasions. Even my 22 year old Nephew who is a mechanic has two tuxes - now that surprised me.

They shouldn't. Nor should those who prefer casual wear pass judgement on those who prefer to dress more formally. All options are acceptable and there's room for every type on board.

That's why we like P&O too, because we can dress up if we want - it's one of the options. But we don't expect P&O to abandon formal options if we decide to go casual for a change. We adapt or cruise with someone else. Anyone who is open minded will have a great time, but the few who call for P&O to change to suit their needs are out of order. We sailed to the Arctic on Aurora and I would say that at least 90% of passengers dressed very formally on formal nights. That suggests that maybe P&O are getting it right.

Formal wear is more popular than I thought, it's certainly not an outdated thing. Our university city has a lot of shops that sell and hire formal wear, the students seem to love formal occasions. Even my 22 year old Nephew who is a mechanic has two tuxes - now that surprised me.

Yes, the problem is people who try to flount the dress code. Take me for example, I prefer casual dress because as a solo cruiser formal nights mean nothing to me. However i am hoping to do a worldie segment next year on Aurora, chosen because of the itinery. I will of course take my DJ and linen jacket because that suits the type of ship Aurora is

Is that the wearers of such garments or the garments themselves or both?

Just the sort of reply expected from you.

To clarify, it is the wearers and garments being worn on formal nights I object to.

I wear polo shirts on casual occasions, not for dinner and during the evening.

Is that clear enough ?

Its not about whether P&O have got it right, nor whether folk like to dress up, its about the hellfire and damnation levelled at the 10% by the diehards if not in reality then certainly in mind.

From my perspective I'm trying hard to lose weight so a suit worn last week should not fit me in 4 months time. A DJ bought in 4 months time may not fit me next year. Perhaps I can't afford to cruise or perhaps a few folk should show some empathy?;)

Edited by Tarquin

Its not about whether P&O have got it right, nor whether folk like to dress up, its about the hellfire and damnation levelled at the 10% by the diehards if not in reality then certainly in mind.

From my perspective I'm trying hard to lose weight so a suit worn last week should not fit me in 4 months time. A DJ bought in 4 months time may not fit me next year. Perhaps I can't afford to cruise or perhaps a few folk should show some empathy?;)

I have said on many occasions that I am not that bothered what people wear on formal nights only I know that in all of my cruises 95% of men will wear a DJ on formal nights and most of the others will wear a suit. Those not following the dress code are not 10% and never have been. If someone goes on a cruise and does not want to wear formal gear then fine, they restrict themselves for that night.

If someone new asks this question I do not think it is fair to them just to say you will be fine you do not need a suit you can wear casual. I think it is only fair to point out that they may be one of only 20 to 40 on a ship of 2000 who are not dressed for the night. If they know that and can cope with it then fine have a great cruise. But I don't want any one to go cruising and feel uncomfortable because they did not know how few people would not be dressed.

That has always been my line on this. I make no judge ten about what people wear.

BTW Tarquin I also have a weight problem and after cruising for 13 years and wearing DJ's for longer I now have 4 jackets, of course only one ever fits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app