Shore Excursions Western Med. on the Millennium

I tried to post yesterday but somehow the message did not post.

We are a family of four traveling with two children ages 10 and 12 as well as my parents who are in their mid-seventies. I am interested in hearing from anyone who as taken the shore excursions offered through the ship. I know that many of the more seasoned travelers prefer booking through private companies are doing ports on their own, but given the age range of our party and the fact that we have not cruised the Med. before, I feel more comfortable staying with what the ship has to offer. I am hoping that the ship has some enjoyable excursions.

We will be traveling on the June 7th sailing out of Barcelona and looking at the Exclusive Best of Rome tour and Exclusive Amalfi Coast, Excavations of Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano in Naples. We have other tours in mind for some of the other ports but was wondering if anyone has taken either one of these tours. They are more pricey than some of the other tours and use mini-buses instead of coach buses. Both tours include lunch.

I am looking at less intensive tours of shorter duration for my parents. I am hoping that all tours offered through the ship provided air-conditioned transportation. My mother, in particular, has some health issues that would make it difficult for her to tolerate extreme heat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, for those that have sailed on the Millie recently, I was curious as to her condition. I have read several posts that indicate the staterooms may be in need of some TLC.

Thank you

FYI, your original post did make it, but I'll answer in this thread.

I am also travelling with family, similar to you, young children and 70's Mom, next year on Millie. I am also not "seasoned" as you put it--first cruise and first time in these Med cities. I didn't think twice about booking private tours.

A van for the 6 of you will be far less expensive, air conditioned, take you only to the sites you want to see, and even more importantly, take you CLOSER to the sites you want to see as buses (like those used by the cruise ship) cannot enter certain parts of Rome. This results in far less walking for your folks. You can go at your own pace and make bathroom and lunch stops whenever you fell like it. It's tough to find shorter duration tours at these cities that are a good driving distance from the ports, so this might be a good option. Think about it.

Archived