Jewelry Shopping in ports

Babcie3

The Buyer CAN be fooled though. Something that looks like a Yurman, feels like a Yurman and is being sold as a Yurman.....may not be a Yurman and not everyone will be able to tell the difference.

Not everyone can tell a synthetic or lab created diamond from one taken from the earth....or ruby, or sapphire etc

The Buyer CAN be fooled though. Something that looks like a Yurman, feels like a Yurman and is being sold as a Yurman.....may not be a Yurman and not everyone will be able to tell the difference.

Not everyone can tell a synthetic or lab created diamond from one taken from the earth....or ruby, or sapphire etc

Sail, don't forget, "and marked Yurman". . . .

You can buy a punch that says whatever you want for about $30!

lkt

S.O. and I have been buying jewelry in the Caribbean for years and respectfully offer the following advice, echoed online: if you like it, and can afford it, BUY IT. You would be hard pressed to see the variety and many unique pieces you will find on the islands unless you live in NYC/LA... Have they been 'steals or bargains'? Probably not. You can go to any wholesale club and buy jewelry that will 'appraise' for 150% of what you pay for it....they just don't have the selection. We have been fortunate to have picked up some beautiful, uniques pieces that are likely one of a kind or close to it. Have worked with a couple jewelers over the years and trust them both, altho we have noticed the 'deals' seem to cost more and more! One thing to remember about the 'recommended shopping stores'...they pay the cruise lines to be listed. I've found prices in those stores higher than I could find elsewhere, especially Diamonds International, Tanzanite International and Columbian Emeralds. Was offered a 5.04 ct princess cut, I color, SI1 clarity diamond for $22,500, and my buddy would add a heavy gents mount w .40 ct tw diamond accent stones for no extra cost (after much whining on my part)...think it would have been a good deal, but not in my price range :( Shopped it on the island and was quoted $50-60k, found similar stones on the internet at high $40's+...so know what you can get it for back home and then shop so you know if you're getting a good deal!

Archived