First cruise and I'm soooo nervous!!!

JRN77

I will be going on my first cruise on the MSC Divina in January 2016. I'm just really nervous and scared that I'm going to get sick since I have equilibrium issues. I've always wanted to go on a cruise and I'm looking for reassurances that I will be okay. My room is 8230 (at the back of ship) on deck 8. I need to stop worrying but I'm having a hard time not doin so. I just don't want to get sick an it ruin the experience. I know there are meds I can take. Anyone been on the back of the ship and not have any issues?

Jrn77

Do not worry... my partner is like you; worried about getting seasick; because of that we went to beach resorts in cuba and mexico, this december, i convinced her, to try a cruise; she loved it. Yes she had meds and bracelet ready, did not use it;

deck 8 is low, less rolling; we had 13194 (5 floors directly above the 8224 at the hump; 8224 is 4 doors from u, in theory higher it is, more rolling, not so; we enjoyed the gentle sway at night, great lullaby. Slept like babies after a full day and a long dinner at villa rossa 830-1100pm.

Cool posi your 8230;close to elevators; enjoy your balcony, or walk down to the back of ship ; round the corner from cabin 8262; a door to the aft exterior stairs, walk down to deck 7 promenade,(lifeboats), black and white lounge and bars and shops and the pantheon theatre; Stay outside, open your soul to fresh sea breeze.

Have a great cruise! Divina is gorgeous, nothing is perfect; be ready to ignore a few rude fellow people , all good

Chk http://www.cruisedeckplans.com

I will be going on my first cruise on the MSC Divina in January 2016. I'm just really nervous and scared that I'm going to get sick since I have equilibrium issues. I've always wanted to go on a cruise and I'm looking for reassurances that I will be okay. My room is 8230 (at the back of ship) on deck 8. I need to stop worrying but I'm having a hard time not doin so. I just don't want to get sick an it ruin the experience. I know there are meds I can take. Anyone been on the back of the ship and not have any issues?

Yes, i had a suite on Stern of deck 10 of the Norwegian Dawn ,

Fabulous!!! was the only way to describe it. NO issues what so ever, except being awakened at an ungodley hour by a medivac helicopter

REALLY EXCITING

100_0988_zps5aef27f3.jpg

Pete

FIY

i have parkinson's and am not allowed to take anti seasickness pills and have a problem with balance too! it doesn't stop me skiing (I'm a qualifiied instructor) or cruising.

Edited by Skier52

It seems you are getting sick before your cruise which is still a year away. No one can predict what the weather will be like so its impossible to say if you will be getting a lot of movement or just a little, just go and enjoy your cruise on the beautiful divina with great entertainment. Just relax!!!

All large cruise ships have stabilizers and the Caribbean is usually smooth at that time of year. On most cruises I have no sense of movement aside from occasional vibrations of the ship when docking or embarking. the only time I witnessed seasickness was on an Alaska cruise where we were in wild open water for a while. there were some green faces at dinner and only half the table showed up but i absolutely loved the movement and finally felt i was on the ocean. I always sleep like a baby on cruises. Maybe it's because when lying down, I do sense the movement just a bit but it does act like a lullaby and is totally relaxing. I packed ginger chews because i heard they worked well for seasickness but i never needed them and ended up giving them to a lady at our table who did!

You might consider avoiding looking over the balcony or at the wake of the ship if that might make you ill, but IMHO that is the BEST part of cruising.

Don't be nervous; you will enjoy every minute of it! I have never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy. Next one will be my twelfth.

Thank you all so much for your responses!!

It at put me somewhat at ease. I just need to relax and enjoy myself.

Pete, I think it is wonderful that you don't let Parkinson's get in your way!! :)

I love cruising but because of balance issues I do get seasick

We were on Armonia from 2nd to 16th January and were right at the back - middle of the stern. I was quite nervous about it but shouldn't have worried as it was fine. The 3 times I took half a seasick pill were because the ship was going so slow that the stabilisers hadn't kicked in and we had this side to side rocking motion which I hated. It didn't last long anyway.

We always try to get a mid ships cabin but if not then we go back rather than forward. The one time we had a cabin right at the front was a bad cruise experience.

You will have a ball!

Caryl

WE travel with SeaBands and Bonine and have no problems. My vertigo can hit at any time but haven't had an issue while cruising. Enjoy planning your trip and excurshions and you will have a blast. The Divina is a beautiful ship with so many neat places to chill or hang out. Enjoy.

Jrn77

I understand your concerns, as mentioned in my previous reply, my partner declined cruises, and i was getting stuck in resorts vs cruises; Of course, I went thru the usual theories, higher, lower, mid ship, aft, fwd, more roll, less roll, never know what the weather could be but the Caribbean is smooth sailing, Truth is ? for someone who never done it , it was a bunch of motherhood statements. It was like trying to convince her to drink Pepsi, but she looked at Pepsi like the yuck! bitter Buckley's syrup.

It was like selling the pleasure of winter & skiing to the Bedouin of Dubai, all he is thinking is right ! Am gonna freeze my ^$^% and lose my toes to frostbite. He tried & had a ball !! he actually built a ski slope in Dubai.

Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words, I will share with you pics of Divina dec 27 sailing;

videos would be even better, i tried to load .mov vids but could not ..anyone any ideas how to ?

1. Garden Zen pool aft deck 15, the gentle roll of the ship makes an impromptu gentle wave pool, my partner loved it, like sitting at the beach, gentle waves washing against you, except no sand in your swimsuit. Contrary to wisdom "don't look at the waves", she loved watching the wake behind the Divina, the rolling white waves on a turquoise-blue ocean.

1. a pic from our balcony , first thing every morning, my partner would watch the horizon and the tip of the bridge gently sway in unison.

You will have a ball and soon you will be giving advice to first time cruisers !!

685373736_Divina-aftpool.jpg.fd9336bafaae68045c79c11412d0bf31.jpg

Divina-aft-pool-horizon.pdf

I love cruising but because of balance issues I do get seasick

We were on Armonia from 2nd to 16th January and were right at the back - middle of the stern. I was quite nervous about it but shouldn't have worried as it was fine. The 3 times I took half a seasick pill were because the ship was going so slow that the stabilisers hadn't kicked in and we had this side to side rocking motion which I hated. It didn't last long anyway.

We always try to get a mid ships cabin but if not then we go back rather than forward. The one time we had a cabin right at the front was a bad cruise experience.

You will have a ball!

Caryl

Thank you, Caryl! I am hoping that I have a great time and not worry so much. :)

if you are that scared. Change your cabin to midship at the bottom of the ship. The Divina sways - or at least it did for us - but we were on Deck 12.

The lower you are and at midship is the best place to sail if you have issues like that.

Anamarieus, I am on Deck 8, but at the back part of the ship. I tried to get midship, but either the room was more forward then I would like or it had restricted views.

WE travel with SeaBands and Bonine and have no problems. My vertigo can hit at any time but haven't had an issue while cruising. Enjoy planning your trip and excurshions and you will have a blast. The Divina is a beautiful ship with so many neat places to chill or hang out. Enjoy.

Cruisergal, My vertigo hits anytime as well and that's what concerns me the most. If I get it it will ruin the vacation because it takes me a while to get over it. Are there any excursions in Montego Bay or Georgetown, Cayman Islands that you recommend? Thanks!

Jrn77

I understand your concerns, as mentioned in my previous reply, my partner declined cruises, and i was getting stuck in resorts vs cruises; Of course, I went thru the usual theories, higher, lower, mid ship, aft, fwd, more roll, less roll, never know what the weather could be but the Caribbean is smooth sailing, Truth is ? for someone who never done it , it was a bunch of motherhood statements. It was like trying to convince her to drink Pepsi, but she looked at Pepsi like the yuck! bitter Buckley's syrup.

It was like selling the pleasure of winter & skiing to the Bedouin of Dubai, all he is thinking is right ! Am gonna freeze my ^$^% and lose my toes to frostbite. He tried & had a ball !! he actually built a ski slope in Dubai.

Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words, I will share with you pics of Divina dec 27 sailing;

videos would be even better, i tried to load .mov vids but could not ..anyone any ideas how to ?

1. Garden Zen pool aft deck 15, the gentle roll of the ship makes an impromptu gentle wave pool, my partner loved it, like sitting at the beach, gentle waves washing against you, except no sand in your swimsuit. Contrary to wisdom "don't look at the waves", she loved watching the wake behind the Divina, the rolling white waves on a turquoise-blue ocean.

1. a pic from our balcony , first thing every morning, my partner would watch the horizon and the tip of the bridge gently sway in unison.

You will have a ball and soon you will be giving advice to first time cruisers !!

Dtfc3, thank you so much for the information and the pictures!! It sounds and looks like you all had a blast!!! Trying to take a deep breath and just relax. Please body, just work with me and not against me. lol :)

Don't worry - I just cruised with MSC DIVINA in September and was in room 8264. Just so you know, if you go all the way to the VERY BACK of the ship corridor> there is an exit door with a huge 'back porch' as we called it. A nice place to step outside and get some fresh air without feeling so confined in your room.

That level should be fine for you - it was my friends first cruise as well but also back yourself up with medicine BEFORE the trip. If seasick starts, there's no turning back so just prepare ahead of time. You'll be fine most likely because this is practically a brand new ship by cruise standards (built in 2012) and the stabilizer systems are far more advanced than older ships.

THE SHIP IS BEAUTIFUL!!! SO CONCENTRATE ON YOUR EXCITEMENT AND LET YOUR WORRIES FLOAT AWAY.......sometimes it's all in your perspective. Think positive

Don't worry - I just cruised with MSC DIVINA in September and was in room 8264. Just so you know, if you go all the way to the VERY BACK of the ship corridor> there is an exit door with a huge 'back porch' as we called it. A nice place to step outside and get some fresh air without feeling so confined in your room.

That level should be fine for you - it was my friends first cruise as well but also back yourself up with medicine BEFORE the trip. If seasick starts, there's no turning back so just prepare ahead of time. You'll be fine most likely because this is practically a brand new ship by cruise standards (built in 2012) and the stabilizer systems are far more advanced than older ships.

THE SHIP IS BEAUTIFUL!!! SO CONCENTRATE ON YOUR EXCITEMENT AND LET YOUR WORRIES FLOAT AWAY.......sometimes it's all in your perspective. Think positive

I will definitely check out the 'back porch'. :) Thank you for the encouragement and the information. It can't get here soon enough!! :)