Cruisetour Roll Calls

sotiris

Just wondered if anyone has created a roll call for a cruisetour. The land part of the one we are on starts in Anchorage and the cruise begins in Skagway. I imagine one would have to post using the date the cruise which starts in Vancouver.

I have not seen roll calls for cruise tours. It has been my experience Alaska cruise roll calls are not very active. I haven't seen a lot of tour sharing for Alaska Which makes the rolls calls busy in Europe, South America and exotic locations.

I'm on an Alaskan roll call now (not Holland America) that is very quiet. Periodically someone bumps it up so it doesn't fall off the page.

I've not seen a roll call for a cruise tour but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one.

Is there a need for such a roll call, though? I'm not being critical, I'm just wondering. Based on my experience on a cruise tour, everything is pretty much planned for you. You already know what you're going to do and when you're doing it. There's no need to set up excursions because it's all included (that could be outdated by now; it's been a while since my cruisetour).

For the cruise, that's a different story since it can be a better experience if several people join up to form small groups for certain excursions.

As for roll call activity, that just depends on who's posting. I had two incredibly active roll calls last year; my Alaska roll call had 200 posts within the first couple of weeks and we were 14 months prior to sailing. Ended up with over 1400 posts, IIRC. The second one was a 5 day coastal cruise that had over 400 posts. This year's roll call is not nearly as active as those two.

Our third ever cruise, back in May of 2005, was a HAL cruisetour. There was a roll call specifically for it, and while it wasn't extremely active, we did have 4 pages of posts by the time we embarked (cruise first, land tour after).

We did manage to share some excursions and ideas for shore activities with the others on the roll call. So if one doesn't exist yet, go ahead and start it!