Mdr

ivrier

Many have referred this MDR as a Main Dinning Room. To my knowledge, DCL does not have a Main Dinning Room as they have 3 rotational dinning rooms and other special ones such as Remy's and Palo on the new ships. To my understanding other cruise lines have a single MDR where cruises prices include that for free. While other restaurants other than the MDRs and breakfast areas will need an additional payment.

Please shed some light.

MDR does stand for Main Dining Room, even on ships where there are multiple Main Dining Rooms it is still MDR. Most Carnival ships for example have 2 seperate MDRs, but depending on your assignement you will only eat in 1 of the 2 each cruise.

You are correct with Disney that there are 3 rotational restaraunts, but to most all 3 would be MDR. The alternatives to the MDR would be the buffet area (not actually a buffet for dinner on Disney, just sitdown service in the buffet area.), room service, Palo, Remy, etc.

On DCL, you have a dining rotation through each of the three MDR, repeating if your cruise is more than 3 days of course. Your servers are assigned at the first dinner and they continue to serve you at the same table number in each MDR as you move. In other words, you show up to a different MDR each night as marked on your Key To The World and the servers are waiting on you in costume to match the theme of the night's MDR.

The only fee restaurants are the >18 Palo and Remy (Dream and Fantasy only). These have a strict dress code and require reservations. They are both a flat up charge; you don't pay by what you order.

The buffet on the pool deck becomes a table service restaurant for dinner with selections from each MDR menu. You just walk up. There is no set dining time like the MDRs.

The counter service options on the pool deck are still open at dinner.

For breakfast and lunch, there is the pool deck buffet called Cabanas or Beach Blanket Buffet. One of the MDR will also have a buffet - much less busy. Another MDR will have a table service menu. Your dinner rotation doesn't matter at breakfast or lunch.

There is also counter service on the pool deck for lunch.

Room service is always available and much of it is free.

There are free snacks and desserts at various times and locations around the ship. We found the desserts in the Quiet Cove coffee shop to be desserts left from the Palo brunch at least one day. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by BullDawg91

There are free snacks and desserts at various times and locations around the ship. We found the desserts in the Quiet Cove coffee shop to be desserts left from the Palo brunch at least one day. Nice!

Just so you know--yes, "leftovers" from Palo brunch will be served in the Cove Cafe and Vista Cafe, but only those "leftovers" that have not been put out on the buffet table in Palo. Once any item has been placed on the buffet table, it will be trashed, not re-served elsewhere. DCL is very strict about how long any container can remain on a buffet table, how long food can be stored, etc. They don't take any risks with contamination or spoilage.

On DCL, you have a dining rotation through each of the three MDR, repeating if your cruise is more than 3 days of course. Your servers are assigned at the first dinner and they continue to serve you at the same table number in each MDR as you move. In other words, you show up to a different MDR each night as marked on your Key To The World and the servers are waiting on you in costume to match the theme of the night's MDR.

The only fee restaurants are the >18 Palo and Remy (Dream and Fantasy only). These have a strict dress code and require reservations. They are both a flat up charge; you don't pay by what you order.

The buffet on the pool deck becomes a table service restaurant for dinner with selections from each MDR menu. You just walk up. There is no set dining time like the MDRs.

The counter service options on the pool deck are still open at dinner.

For breakfast and lunch, there is the pool deck buffet called Cabanas or Beach Blanket Buffet. One of the MDR will also have a buffet - much less busy. Another MDR will have a table service menu. Your dinner rotation doesn't matter at breakfast or lunch.

There is also counter service on the pool deck for lunch.

Room service is always available and much of it is free.

Great summary, BullDawg. Thank you!

Back to the topic at hand, I didn't think to mention that each MDR is themed and this makes the rotational dining make more sense. They are 3 distinct styles, not just 3 different rooms.

I hear RCI might be trying rotational dining, and I don't know if it will make as much sense if the dining rooms don't have a story like on DCL.