Insurance Question

Sherry H

So.........we have Medical coverage anywhere in the world.

We have Medivac Insurance anywhere in the world.

Has anyone found an insurance that covers only the cost of the cruise?

Yes.......I have done a search here on CC but not really found an answer.

So.........we have Medical coverage anywhere in the world.

We have Medivac Insurance anywhere in the world.

Has anyone found an insurance that covers only the cost of the cruise?

Yes.......I have done a search here on CC but not really found an answer.

I think this should be possible. When I search through the consolidator site that I use, it gives the options to check the boxes to include medical/evac/etc. or not. I think there are literally thousand of options of insurance plans. I would not believe it to be a problem to find the coverage you are looking for.

On the other hand, it might be just as cost effective to buy the more inclusive option and knowing that you could use your own provider if needed, but pricing might be close?

Yes. You should be able to buy trip only insurance. Check with your credit card company as well. You may find that it's included or offered pretty cheaply if you are just covering the amount you charged.

POA1 has an excellent point. As an attorney, I finally sat down and read the fine print on the brochure that came with our Chase Visa card. It covers LOTS of things - so much so that I am probably done buying insurance. As long as everything you book is put on the credit card, it appears to be covered. I'm sure other credit cards offer similar things, if you check into it!!

One thing you may want to consider.....

We too have medevac insurance for the two of us on a yearly basis. We wouldn't leave home without it. That said, you would not be covered if you have to see the ship doctor for any reason or if you are transported to a hospital and the costs of being there until your private medevac insurance kicks in. I know that our private insurance kicks in if we are more than 150 miles from home but we have to be in the hospital before we can contact them. These charges could be huge so is it really worth the risk of trying to find coverage that excludes evacuation coverage?

HAL's Standard CPP will refund 80% of money paid to them and has no medical coverage. It will cover air fare and pre/post hotels if booked through HAL.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Changes+%26+Cancellations&contentSubMenu=Do+You+Offer+A+Cancellation+Protection+Plan%3F&WT.ac=footer_CPP

Edited by jtl513

I have found from insurance I have researched the medical and evacuation coverage is relatively low cost. What is the higher priced is cancellation. My DH and I did not insure for cancellation for a great many years. We never left home without medical and evacuation coverage from one source or another. When purchasing from one of the large travel insurers, our premiums were quite low without cancellation.

We could afford the price of the trip or we wouldn't have booked it. We never wanted to gamble how large a medical or evacuation bill could get. :eek: Through many years of a great many cruises, we saved literally tens of thousands in premiums we didn't pay for cancellation coverage and thankfully were fortunate to never have to cancel during penalty phase. After the first 4 or so cruises we didn't cover for cancellation, we were just about at break even. After that we were ahead of the game.

Edited by sail7seas