Exchange rate! - Canadians

ilovetotravel1977

My invoice from NCL is all in Canadian dollars. I did book through a TA so maybe that is why?

I suppose if you book directly on the website, everything will be in US$.

You must have booked through a Canadian TA :)

Sent from my iPad. Typos are inevitable.

Edited by soccersharon

Well, I've just called NCL and the lady told me that they cannot change the price of my account to see those price in CAD dollars

I don't understand how everybody did make the change.

They had to cancel my USD booking and then rebook in CDN. My rep did price it first in CDN to let me know the price to make sure I was happy with it. I would call again.

I've booked directly on NCL website.

but did you ask for the price in C$, if not they will charge in US. If its not past your final payment date cancel your booking and re book in C$

So if I'm understanding this right, I need to book directly with the NCL website, on which I'm seeing the prices in USD. When they charge my credit card they will do so at a rate more favourable than if I booked through an on-line agency? Please clarify because I've been trying to book tonight directly through the website (also tried calling in) and have found it quite frustrating. I'd use another source if it wasn't for the exchange advantage. Please let me know if I'm understanding something incorrectly.

My invoice from NCL is all in Canadian dollars. I did book through a TA so maybe that is why?

I suppose if you book directly on the website, everything will be in US$.

my son booked thru a TA and when he goes to his reservation all charges appear in C$

I kept getting an error in the payment section, so I had to actually call NCL and pay over the phone. I made sure the rep emailed me a receipt to show everything I have paid for (or what was promo/free) and the price as well.

Thanks for the tip. I just tried to prepay the gratuities online and it said it wasn't available. I'll try phoning tomorrow. I didn't book with NCL directly, I used a TA, how about you? Usually the cruise lines won't speak to the passengers when there is a TA.

A little FYI about the web site, when you are searching the activities, dining etc it says the US prices. It is only when you click on the More Details tab and select and choose your party size or select something in the Choose field, that you can view the price in CND. You can do that without adding it to your cart if you just want to know what the fee is in Canadian dollars.

So if I'm understanding this right, I need to book directly with the NCL website, on which I'm seeing the prices in USD. When they charge my credit card they will do so at a rate more favourable than if I booked through an on-line agency? Please clarify because I've been trying to book tonight directly through the website (also tried calling in) and have found it quite frustrating. I'd use another source if it wasn't for the exchange advantage. Please let me know if I'm understanding something incorrectly.

Either book through a Canadian TA which gives you price in $ CAD, or if direct call NCL and ask them to give you price in $ CAD. If you do online then your booking will be done in $ USD then even if you pay using your $ CAD credit card it will follow the exchange rate your credit card offers and not NCL's exchange rate.

Well, I've just called NCL and the lady told me that they cannot change the price of my account to see those price in CAD dollars

I don't understand how everybody did make the change.

So, hot on the heels of this thread and the other one relating to Canadian exchange rates - this AM I called NCL and spoke to my PCC. I asked him about the price on a future cruise I already have booked. The price, when converted, would save me overall $1156 Cdn. I asked him to cancel the original booking and re-book in Canadian.

If you want to do this, you need to call back and try to get the Cdn price. Then evaluate if it saves you or not.

For us it was clearly a substantial amount.

So, hot on the heels of this thread and the other one relating to Canadian exchange rates - this AM I called NCL and spoke to my PCC. I asked him about the price on a future cruise I already have booked. The price, when converted, would save me overall $1156 Cdn. I asked him to cancel the original booking and re-book in Canadian.

If you want to do this, you need to call back and try to get the Cdn price. Then evaluate if it saves you or not.

For us it was clearly a substantial amount.

Good move. And I suppose if your original booking was invoiced in $ USD and you paid using a $ CAD credit card at a time when the exchange was low, and now you are getting the refund back in today's rate, you actually are making some gain.

Weird... I purchased OBC's online two days ago and paid 16% on the exchange, which was the same exchange rate that I paid on my booking. Don't get me wrong, 16% is a whole lot better than the 28% the bank is giving, but I'd love to get the extra 9% benefit that you received.

Same here, after reading all this I booked my cruise yesterday with NCL in cad and it was 16%

I then went to buy the OBC's and they were also the 16%

Strange. I'm on My NCL right now and doing a mock OBC purchase and I'm still seeing the $100 US come out to $107.53 CDN.

What is yours coming out to in CDN$ Murcor?

Sounds like NCL honours the exchange rate you booked with. My rate is 1.16.

Sent from my iPad. Typos are inevitable.

Strange. I'm on My NCL right now and doing a mock OBC purchase and I'm still seeing the $100 US come out to $107.53 CDN.

What is yours coming out to in CDN$ Murcor?

That's a great rate! I read that the rate is locked in when you book.

So My agent finally got through to NCL to ask about a recent price drop. They are telling her the price has gone up significantly with the recent exchange rate (US = CDN). My trip ended up being a few hundred dollars more!

Anyways, on the heels of this news, I just called NCL and prepaid my grats at $180 CDN and bought $150US OBC for $161 CDN.

Who knows if they will up the exchange on OBC/grats, but I'm not waiting to find out. I already have the UBP included so that is great, but if you plan on eating at the restaurants or doing any shopping, you may want to buy the OBC now, and not wait until you sail.

Can someone tell me how to find out on your account what the rate was when you booked ? Our cruise was booked well over a year ago in CDN . When I go and purchase OBC gift cards - which is how I assume you are booking your OBC credit... it shows in CAD dollars and no additional cost - and I bought $100 and no charge on my credit card. I am thinking that our booking was done at a time the dollar was on par.... is buying the OBC gift cards on MY NCL the way to purchase OBC - can they be used for everything ?

I am very happy as it appears our OBC is not going to cost us any difference :)

Thanks

Can someone tell me how to find out on your account what the rate was when you booked ? Our cruise was booked well over a year ago in CDN . When I go and purchase OBC gift cards - which is how I assume you are booking your OBC credit... it shows in CAD dollars and no additional cost - and I bought $100 and no charge on my credit card. I am thinking that our booking was done at a time the dollar was on par.... is buying the OBC gift cards on MY NCL the way to purchase OBC - can they be used for everything ?

I am very happy as it appears our OBC is not going to cost us any difference :)

Thanks

I believe you have an on par rate (good for you!). And yes, OBC can be used for anything.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

I am reporting on the latest experience.

For a new booking I put on hold yesterday, $1,159 USD is converted to $1,347.68 CAD. Exchange rate is equivalent to $1.1628. :o

For the prepaid DSC for this same booking, it shows in the booking the cost is $15.50 CAD (for the $12 USD). Exchange rate is $1.29167. :(