Nagasaki, Japan

Jade13

• 3 weeks later...

Google goodwill guides. I am having computer issues but I have posted the link here somewhere. They are volunteers available in many cities. Many are students at uni studying english and it is part of thrir uni studies. All guides speak adequate english and you are only required to pay their travel and meal costs. Worth their weight in gold simply to get you around on the public transport.

• 1 month later...
Have a search on this forum, there are a few suggestions. It seems "off the beaten track" for CC. When are you going we are there at the end of October.

We will be there the beginning of November.

Google goodwill guides. I am having computer issues but I have posted the link here somewhere. They are volunteers available in many cities. Many are students at uni studying english and it is part of thrir uni studies. All guides speak adequate english and you are only required to pay their travel and meal costs. Worth their weight in gold simply to get you around on the public transport.

Hi Tara Jane,

Thank you. I actually saw your link and was looking for other, additional, options.

Under Nagasaki on this list it says, "as our interpreter guides are volunteers, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to find (a guide).

Not very reassuring and we weren't necessarily looking for a free guide. We would rather pay someone who speaks good English and can provide good information. I will email them anyway.

Edited by Jade13

When we went to Japan in 2011 I had arranged for a goodwill guide for Osaka. We were matched up with one several months before our trip and corresponded with her to finalize plans.

Unfortunately the earthquake happened (while we were in Nagasaki but we did not feel it) and we had to leave Japan.

However, I was very impressed with the Goodwill guide service.

On the other hand Nagasaki is very easy to explore on your own. At the port you will be given a map and can buy a tram pass. My husband led four of us to the Peace Museum, to the lookoff way up a hill across the harbour from our ship, back to downtown shopping and to the Glover Gardens. From there we could walk to the ship.

When we went to Japan in 2011 I had arranged for a goodwill guide for Osaka. We were matched up with one several months before our trip and corresponded with her to finalize plans.

Unfortunately the earthquake happened (while we were in Nagasaki but we did not feel it) and we had to leave Japan.

However, I was very impressed with the Goodwill guide service.

On the other hand Nagasaki is very easy to explore on your own. At the port you will be given a map and can buy a tram pass. My husband led four of us to the Peace Museum, to the lookoff way up a hill across the harbour from our ship, back to downtown shopping and to the Glover Gardens. From there we could walk to the ship.

Thanks. We were going to do it all on our own but someone we are touring with would like a guide. I thought a 3 hour or so walking tour would work well. Can you recall what the fee was going to be?

I have heard back from the group who does the free tours, but not from the one that I emailed who has professional guides.