NCL Breakaway Haven courtyard in cold weather?

jbiz

so i have sailed in the Haven on the Jewel Class (jewel/gem) and one of the things i always liked about it is in the cold(er) weather and sailing from NYC, (like November+) they can [and do on request for sure] retract the roof in the courtyard and the pool and area becomes indoors.

I am scheduled to sail on the Nov 1-8 NYC Breakaway (the Gem is in Dry dock i think) and I am concerned I should look for another itinerary instead if the Haven courtyard area is going to be too cold to hang around in.. Considering switching to the LAX Jewel sailing instead..

-- has anyone had experience on the Breakaway in the "cold" weather Nov. sailings and can give some feedback on their experience?

-- does the Breakaway have the a retractable roof too?

-- what happens when it rains does the entire area become not very useful?

Thanks!!

Edited by jbiz

Breakaways court yard roof does open. Only sail her in cold weather March and November the roof was closed and the area was heated. There are table out there for breakfast and lunch with the food coming from the Haven Restaurant

Breakaways court yard roof does open. Only sail her in cold weather March and November the roof was closed and the area was heated. There are table out there for breakfast and lunch with the food coming from the Haven Restaurant

interesting.. from the designs (maybe it was the Epic) I thought it was a big open area that didn't have that retractable roof like the Jewel line did..

what about 15 vs 16 deck?

interesting.. from the designs (maybe it was the Epic) I thought it was a big open area that didn't have that retractable roof like the Jewel line did..

what about 15 vs 16 deck?

The only place in the place in the Haven area that would be exposed to the chilly air is the sundeck on 17, accessible through a sliding door off the indoor walkway above the pool. I wouldn't worry about the cold. They won't open the roof unless it's nice and warm out!

There is a stair case inside the Haven hallways between 15 and 16. I was just below on 14 in a Spa Haven cabin. It didn't effect my experience at all being "outside" of the Haven area.

The only place in the place in the Haven area that would be exposed to the chilly air is the sundeck on 17, accessible through a sliding door off the indoor walkway above the pool. I wouldn't worry about the cold. They won't open the roof unless it's nice and warm out!

There is a stair case inside the Haven hallways between 15 and 16. I was just below on 14 in a Spa Haven cabin. It didn't effect my experience at all being "outside" of the Haven area.

thanks.. as i have been reading some more.. i think I was confusing the Epic with the Breakaway/Getaway.. i think the Epic did not have a retractable roof (like the Gem/Jewel at the time) but they put it back on the Breakaway..

I know in some of the artist's renderings on the NCL website they show the Breakaway Haven with an open roof. It's inaccurate. They did, however, keep the open design for the Getaway, possibly because it sails year round out of Miami.

We sailed the Breakaway in December. When the roof was closed my husband actually complained that it was too hot in the courtyard! I loved it hot, so I could sit in the hot tubs. The water in the pool was not hot enough for me. The courtyard is very nice when you reach the warmer climate and the roof is open. The Haven experience made this our best vacation ever!