NCL Getaway VS RCL Navigator of the Seas

tutumomma

Last year we sailed on Vision of the Seas and enjoyed it. Looking at NCL and RCL for our next cruise. I heard that on NCL you have to book a spot at your evening shows ahead of time. I was wondering if that was true. Also, are they pretty equal as far as quality of the cruise? Since we are traveling without our kids, does the Getaway have more kids and families since it has the ropes course and the waterpark? We liked the laid back feel of the Vision of the Seas and hoping to find that on the next ship that we sail on.

Thanks for your input.

Last year we sailed on Vision of the Seas and enjoyed it. Looking at NCL and RCL for our next cruise. I heard that on NCL you have to book a spot at your evening shows ahead of time. I was wondering if that was true. Also, are they pretty equal as far as quality of the cruise? Since we are traveling without our kids, does the Getaway have more kids and families since it has the ropes course and the waterpark? We liked the laid back feel of the Vision of the Seas and hoping to find that on the next ship that we sail on.

Thanks for your input.

Cruise agent here..LOVE the NOS, been on her twice, but at this point, she's not in the same league as the Getaway IMO, as far as perqs ,kid's stuff, dining options, entertainment, etc..Yes, in some of the shows on the Getaway, you must book ahead ( like the amazing "Illusionarium" magic dlnner show) , and maybe "Legally Blonde"...good friends JUST got off the Getaway last Sat ( 24th) and they are Diamond on RCI, and they RAVED about the Getaway..it was also their 1st NCL cruise..the kid's rope course & slides are killer in the Waterpark area..also, they LOVED the "Waterfront" area on deck 8, a place where you can dine OUTSIDE or inside and view the sea- very cool..the NOS has few dining options to compete, but does have a flowrider now, and the ice skating show, which kids/adults will love..there are NO slides on RCI, no kid's park- only the Freedom & Oasis class ships do....also, you can get the "Ultimate Dining Package" on many NCL cruises..this an AMAZING deal, where you can dine in ALL of their specialty restaurants like Le Bistro ( French, fabulous!), Teppanyaki ( Japanese syeakhouse, kids will love where they cook meal at your table hibachi style!), Cagney's ( American steakhouse), Moderno's ( Brazilian food) and a big fav, O'Sheehan's, a 24/7 Irish Pub with FREE food like fish & chips, rib, wings, etc...Like I said, I. both an agent AND Diamond on RCI, but I would choose the Getaway anyday over the much older, less kid friendly Navigator,and TAKE the Ultimate Dining package IF offered to you!

Big Al

well since you are NOT taking the kids, you will enjoy NAV. the only show you need to reserve/get tickets for is the ice show( and worth it) NAV has Izumi, also Japanese although not all ships have rolled out the new hibachi offerings yet.

Steakhouse: Chops. Mexican: Sabor's( they say it is beyond amazing, I don't eat Mexican so cannot comment) Italian: Giovanni's, served family style

Vintages for fine wine, Two Poets for Beer and spirits. and that doesn't count the other lounges throughout the ship.

Have never sailed NCL. however, their advertising and marketing leads me to believe I would NOT enjoy their product, much as I did NOT enjoy the Carnival product.

NAV is just large enough to not feel crowded, even on the Promenade which is the center attraction all day and night. the Solarium, while not covered over the pool, is still well protected and quiet( no kids allowed)

my only complaint with Royal is the Windjammer quite plainly is sub par all the way around. I Mean when your lunch and breakfast options are identical every day( I swear they just reused the left over desserts from the day before) something has to be done, esp since the MDR is not open for lunch on port days.