New to NCL (Getaway), need advice, tips where to start

Mirrasi

I have decided on the Getaway in April. This will be my 5th cruise, but none with NCL and I have quite a few questions so I can figure out how to plan. This will be my 5th cruise, none with NCL or on a ship this large. I've done inside staterooms all the way up to a royal on the Disney Wonder. This time I need to go more budget.

This will be for just me and my 9 year old son. So unfortunately I can't use the 50% off because he's not a third person.

Staterooms

I'm thinking of going with an inside room. I don't care about a window. I do prefer balconies but geez, it's $1000 more. That's a huge jump. Even if I pay for the specialty food package it's a ton more. I'm having a hard time justifying it when I did just fine with inside rooms prior. But wow, these look SO small. Not even a couch. I'm thinking with the 2 of us it should be fine but wondering if I will regret. I'm more concerned about the space than the view.

Drinks

Am I right in reading that if I buy a soda package for my son then I have to buy one too? He is the only soda drinker and even at that 1-2Xday. I'm a tea drinker (and will likely not drink much alcohol). I think I read we could bring our own sodas on board. How does that work? Any idea what a soda would run me a la carte?

Signature Dining

I DO have an interest in this and my 9 year old is turning into a little foodie. These add on restaurants look great. But in Disney these things are booked out at 90 days. Would they likely be booked out 2 months before?

What else should I know about....add on costs, tips, hint, etc.?

Edited by Mirrasi

I haven't been on Getaway so can't comment on the rooms, I'd assume you'd probably be fine though with just two. You can absolutely bring your own soda and water on board, I bring an additional rolling carry on specifically for soda because diet mt dew is not sold onboard and can't be found anywhere in the Caribbean either, lol. A soda bought onboard Gem two weeks ago was $2.50 ish inc tip but unless he drinks a lot of soda might not be worth it to get the package, and they give out smaller cups with the package as well unless you carry the cup they give you around with you. There are flavored waters, lemonade and iced tea at lunch and dinner in the buffet, juice at breakfast...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have decided on the Getaway in April. This will be my 5th cruise, but none with NCL and I have quite a few questions so I can figure out how to plan. This will be my 5th cruise, none with NCL or on a ship this large. I've done inside staterooms all the way up to a royal on the Disney Wonder. This time I need to go more budget.

This will be for just me and my 9 year old son. So unfortunately I can't use the 50% off because he's not a third person.

Staterooms

I'm thinking of going with an inside room. I don't care about a window. I do prefer balconies but geez, it's $1000 more. That's a huge jump. Even if I pay for the specialty food package it's a ton more. I'm having a hard time justifying it when I did just fine with inside rooms prior. But wow, these look SO small. Not even a couch. I'm thinking with the 2 of us it should be fine but wondering if I will regret. I'm more concerned about the space than the view.

Drinks

Am I right in reading that if I buy a soda package for my son then I have to buy one too? He is the only soda drinker and even at that 1-2Xday. I'm a tea drinker (and will likely not drink much alcohol). I think I read we could bring our own sodas on board. How does that work? Any idea what a soda would run me a la carte?

Signature Dining

I DO have an interest in this and my 9 year old is turning into a little foodie. These add on restaurants look great. But in Disney these things are booked out at 90 days. Would they likely be booked out 2 months before?

I have previously cruised on the Breakaway (which is the same class as Getaway), and other cruiselines as well. My wife and I loved this class of ship and are also going on the Getaway this April, but we did find the rooms to be smaller than on other cruiselines we have taken (and smaller compared to the other cruise ship we were on). We stayed in a balcony class room.

I've never done the soda package because we're not soda drinkers, but I've heard anecdotally that what you are saying is true. That said, NCL does let you bring non-alcoholic beverages on board, and you can ask your stateroom attendant to clear out the minibar for you, so you can use it as a fridge for the soda. I've seen people bring cases of water onboard and just stick a luggage tag on it, and it just gets delivered to their room, I think you can do the same for soda.

You shouldn't have a problem with the signature dining restaurants. Some of more popular times/dates might book out early on the cruise, but I think they have it set up so that the restaurants cannot fully book out before the cruise starts. If you really want a specific date/time, you should be able to still book it now. I personally really enjoyed Teppenyaki and the chef puts on a fun show for kids, it's NCL's $25 per person Hibachi restaurant.

Edit: Also, if you're going to book, today might be a good day due to the expiring Freestyle choice promotion, and the fact that prices on the Getaways April sailings dropped significantly yesterday (which is why I booked yesterday).

Edited by shapatack0

Oh, and you do not both have to get the package, that's just the alcohol package where they make all adults in a stateroom get it, last time I was on Dawn we had 5 in a room and only one child got the package... Was a total waste for her, lol

One more thought, if you get a window room and book today, you can get the ultimate dining package for free which might justify the upgrade cost if you plan on using the specialty restaurants, but you'd want to do the math, the highest surcharge for the included restaurants is $30... So the most that would save you on a 7 nighter would be $420 assuming you ate in Cagneys every night :)

Teppanyaki is the only specialty which definitely needs a reservation because it has very limited seating, but as mentioned, NCL will not fully book a venue pre cruise. They hold out a percentage for on board booking and walk ups. You can book when you board or at 90 days out if you are a planner. We usually just wing it and book something day of or even just walk up. Would not arvise to get the soda package, probably a waste if your son does not drink much pop or will be happy with the occasional lemonade, tea or flavored waters.

As far as the specialty dining, do kids pay the full cover charge? I am thinking half price off the regular menu or free off the kids menu. If so, you would probably be better off to just buy a package for yourself if you will eat in specialties enough to make the cost of the package worth it.

Edited by punkincc

Thanks! And good tip about asking the steward to clear the fridge. I would have been surprised to see it stocked and annoyed that I couldn't put my own stuff in it, so I will ask them to do that. I think I will definitely bring drinks aboard, I've just never done that but that will surely solve the problem.

I'm still unsure on the rooms. Cheapest I am seeing for inside room is $499. Oceanview $829 and balcony $929. That's a huge jump. But can't get over the size of the inside rooms. Just a bed and a door, lol. I'm going to have to think on it. But the extra $600-1000 difference could buy a lot of stuff! :eek:

Any other tips?

Thanks! And good tip about asking the steward to clear the fridge. I would have been surprised to see it stocked and annoyed that I couldn't put my own stuff in it, so I will ask them to do that. I think I will definitely bring drinks aboard, I've just never done that but that will surely solve the problem.

I'm still unsure on the rooms. Cheapest I am seeing for inside room is $499. Oceanview $829 and balcony $929. That's a huge jump. But can't get over the size of the inside rooms. Just a bed and a door, lol. I'm going to have to think on it. But the extra $600-1000 difference could buy a lot of stuff! :eek:

Any other tips?

It looks like you're looking at the same sailing that my wife and I just booked yesterday (April 11th). I'd say if you make the decision to go to Oceanview, for $100 more a person you might as well do the balcony, we loved our balcony. The other thing you could do is book an inside, and then see if the price drops on the oceanviews/balconies. As long as you book through NCL directly, they will generally let you upgrade your room after final payment date if there are price drops, and just make you pay the difference between what you paid for your room and the room at the current pricing. You probably would not be able to get the new promotions attached to it though. You can check by just doing mock bookings online. One other thing to be aware of on this class of ship, the balconies are very small (unless you pay extra for a large balcony).

The one after yours, the 18th, though I think prices are the same.

Is the illusionarium included in that package?

And I assume all of these restaraunts need tipped separately

ETA: Is the chef's table adult only? I'm guessing so but I have a weird kid who is quiet and likes this stuff, lol. So I just want to make sure before I write that one off.

Edited by Mirrasi

The one after yours, the 18th, though I think prices are the same.

Is the illusionarium included in that package?

And I assume all of these restaraunts need tipped separately

ETA: Is the chef's table adult only? I'm guessing so but I have a weird kid who is quiet and likes this stuff, lol. So I just want to make sure before I write that one off.

Illusionarium is included in UDP if you do it the first night of the cruise:

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

When we did Teppenyaki we tipped extra, which is what most people seemed to be doing. I haven't done the other specialties so I'm not sure as to them.

As far as the size of the room, remember how little you'll be in there. Really just to change and sleep. And the storage is very good. I'd go for the inside and then upgrade on price drops.

Tipping at specialties is not required but you can do it if you feel it is warranted. Your $12 per person per day covers most gratuities. Kids club staff, spa staff are a couple of exceptions.

Staterooms

Drinks

Signature Dining

You could book a balcony, then sign up for price drops at cruise fish.net, we did this on our last cruise, the price dropped many times before the cruise and they will notfie you, we saved about $500.00.