Who to use for scooter rental?

mek

My husband requires a transport chair to get around the ship. I usually push him with no problems, but I had meniscus surgery two and a half weeks ago and I'm not 100% sure I want to put that stress on my knee when we cruise in three weeks. What company should I use for the best price? I contacted one company and they quoted me a price of $275 for a 7 night cruise - is that about right for a rental that is on the ship when we arrive and we leave on it when we depart? We are sailing out of Houston - Bayport.

Edited by mek

My husband requires a transport chair to get around the ship. I usually push him with no problems, but I had meniscus surgery two and a half weeks ago and I'm not 100% sure I want to put that stress on my knee when we cruise in three weeks. What company should I use for the best price? I contacted one company and they quoted me a price of $275 for a 7 night cruise - is that about right for a rental that is on the ship when we arrive and we leave on it when we depart? We are sailing out of Houston - Bayport.

First be sure to check with the cruise line , and find out which company they use,

I have used both Carevacations.com And Specialneedsatsea.com

I found that specialneedsatsea. Is usually cheaper. Both deliver to your cabin.

Remember the shp does not loan/rent wheelchairs for shore excursions. They will have them available embarking and debarking.

Hopefully you have an accessible cabin. You can't leave the scooter in the hallway and not all scooters go thru cabin doors. The rental company will ask for his weight and height before the rental. You can ask them for the measurements of the scooter and check with with the cruise line to see if it woul fit.

If your DH has not used a scooter before have him practice before you board.

Good luck with your search, wishing you a great cruise

Arlene

Edited by Arlened236

I just noticed you are on the Emerald Princess. Wonderful shp we took her to Alaska last August. They use both companies. But an accessible cabin is a necessity. There would barely be enough room in a regular cabin.

Edited by Arlened236

Cost of scooter rentals varies and is dependent on several variables (stated) below ) so it's are for anyone on this forum to tell you for certain if the price is reasonable or not.

• Port of embarkation
  • Port of disembarkation
  • Type of scooter required (i.e. light weight, mid-size, standard, full size, bariatric size, This will be determined by the rental company based on the end users weight)
  • weight of the end user
  • Number of days of the cruise
  • Fees that have to be paid by the rental company to enter the port authority area. This fee is not a standard fee and is set by each port. This fee is included in the rental quote.
  • If insurance is selected as an add-on.

Cost is also dependent on supply vs. demand for a specific port. For example scooter renal costs in Fort Lauderdale are generally cheaper than in New Orleans and Houston. Reason being that the rental companies have a higher inventory level in Fort Lauderdale due to the number of ship embarking from that area than the Houston area has.

I have rented a scooter every time I cruise.. For Fort Lauderdale, Miami or Orlando for a 4 - 12 day cruise it was $250 flat rate for my bariatric scooter. I rent from Special Needs Group 800 513 4515 and they have been wonderful ! Been using them for years now. Scooter is always waiting in my cabin when I get there. Fully charged and ready to go.

check with with the cruise line to see if it woul fit.

If you do this, the cruise line will give you the dimension of the space between the door posts. You have to allow an extra two inches for the door.

check with with the cruise line to see if it woul fit.

If you do this, the cruise line will give you the dimension of the space between the door posts. You have to allow an extra two inches for the door.

For clarification

Cruise lines will only provide the measurement from door frame to door frame. 2" must than be deducted for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall. Generally speaking all standard cabin doors are 23" wide frame to frame. Therefore the scooter at it's widest point cannot be more than 21" to fit through a standard cabin door.

Thanks for the replies, but my knee is getting much stronger and in another two weeks, I think we'll be OK with the transport chair. Eventually, I think he's going to have to get his own scooter, but we'll cross that bridge later.

Thanks for the replies, but my knee is getting much stronger and in another two weeks, I think we'll be OK with the transport chair. Eventually, I think he's going to have to get his own scooter, but we'll cross that bridge later.

Not to post a downer, but the last thing you want is to have a newly recovered knee go "south" on a vacation. You won't be any good to yourself or your husband.

After renting scooters for numerous cruise and land vacations, i bit the bullet and just bought one. Got a fantastic deal on Craig's List. When I took the cost of renting scooters and tipping for wheelchairs at airports into consideration , my scooter was a fraction of the cost I had spent.

$300 is about the cost to rent a scooter for your cruise. The company will deliver it to your cabin and you will leave it there when you disembark .

Have a wonderful time.

$300 is about the cost to rent a scooter for your cruise. The company will deliver it to your cabin and you will leave it there when you disembark .

Have a wonderful time.

The price of scooter rental varies greatly based on port of embarkation, port of disembarkation, weight capacity of scooter required relative to weight of end user, number of days of cruise and whether insurance is purchased. In addition cost varies can vary between rental providers.

For a 7 day cruise I have paid any where from $175.00 to just over $300.00 from Care vacations based on the criteria previously stated. I'll never understand why someone will check for pricing on this forum when a simple "no obligation" phone call directly to the rental provider will result in an accurate quote.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Has anyone used the company ScooToGo?

http://www.scootogo.com

Never used this company, but have used a company called Scootaround. As I've mentioned in other posts, check out prices from various companies and make sure that they provide mobility devices on ships. If they do, they will work WITH one of the two cruise line approved companies. Prices do fluctuate widely between companies.

Never used this company, but have used a company called Scootaround. As I've mentioned in other posts, check out prices from various companies and make sure that they provide mobility devices on ships. If they do, they will work WITH one of the two cruise line approved companies. Prices do fluctuate widely between companies.

I'd have to go back to my notes, but I believe it would be delievered to the port - not actually onto the ship.

Has anyone used the company ScooToGo?

http://www.scootogo.com

In order to have the scooter delivered directly onto the ship waiting in the cabin and picked up directly from your cabin you must use the approved rental provider for the cruise line.

Approved vendors for most cruise lines are www.CareVactions.com and www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com as these are the only vendors that are pre-approved by the cruise line, Port Authroity and Homeland Security to deliver directly to the ship. NCL's only approved vendor is www.SpecialNeedsatSeas.

Scootaround is NOT an approved vendor for any cruise and is not pre-approved by the Port Authority and Homeland Secruity.Therefore you must make arrangements to pick up and return the scooter to a non-port, non-ship location which can definitely impact travel plans as you will not just be able to leave it and walkaway. You have to wait until some arrives to drop it off at emabrkation and pick it up at disembarkation.

It's been rumored that Scooteraround may at times second party your scooter resevartion to CareVacations and or SpecialNeedsatSeas to be able to deliver/pickup directly to/from the ship but not certain of that. need Scootaround . It's my personal opinion that Scootaroundgenerally works best if you have both pre and post cruise hotel arangements.

We just rented a scooter for my DH on our upcoming cruise. I wanted to just take a wheel chair but her is a fairly big fella and do not underestimate the effort to push a wheelchair around.- Make sure if you do this, it is not a transport wheel chair.

For Bayport you will need to use Special Needs at Sea... they are the only vendor supporting this port .

Regardless, have a great vacation and hope all goes well.

In order to have the scooter delivered directly onto the ship waiting in the cabin and picked up directly from your cabin you must use the approved rental provider for the cruise line.

Approved vendors for most cruise lines are www.CareVactions.com and www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com as these are the only vendors that are pre-approved by the cruise line, Port Authroity and Homeland Security to deliver directly to the ship. NCL's only approved vendor is www.SpecialNeedsatSeas.

Scootaround is NOT an approved vendor for any cruise and is not pre-approved by the Port Authority and Homeland Secruity.Therefore you must make arrangements to pick up and return the scooter to a non-port, non-ship location which can definitely impact travel plans as you will not just be able to leave it and walkaway. You have to wait until some arrives to drop it off at emabrkation and pick it up at disembarkation.

It's been rumored that Scooteraround may at times second party your scooter resevartion to CareVacations and or SpecialNeedsatSeas to be able to deliver/pickup directly to/from the ship but not certain of that. need Scootaround . It's my personal opinion that Scootaroundgenerally works best if you have both pre and post cruise hotel arangements.

The information you provided except the second paragraph is UNTRUE. As I said Scootaround is a valid company for cruise ship passengers and the rental equipment is in your cabin if that is what you want. I had to do nothing for this to be done. They themselves DO NOT deliver the equipment they go through the two authorized cruise ship companies. This is from first hand knowledge as of January 2013. And there website still lists cruise ship passengers as their clients.

So we're all talking about Scootaround but I asked about Scootogo. Any info on that company?

Sorry to hijack you thread but I needed to set the record straight. ANY company that says they provide for cruise ship passengers has to go through one of the two "approved companies". There are companies that do not deliver to the ship as was mentioned. That's one of the things you need to research. A free phone call is a good research tool. But as a whole those two approved companies are not the cheapest.

It appears based on their website that they are a subset of a company call Scooter Direct, which is more than a scooter rental. If no one here has not used them and you're still interested then I'd contact the BBB, I believe based on their website that they are based in Tampa, Florida. (Scooter Direct claims to have an A+ rating). If they are a good company then I believe they are similar to Scootaround. Then it just becomes a matter of Price.

Shop around, I think you'll find that the 2 approved companies have higher prices sometimes because they are the approved provider.

Just an example. In 2013 out of Fort Lauderdale I paid $407.00 for 20 days (B2B). The other two "approved companies" wanted several hundred more for the same 20 days. BTW, I keep the literature that came with the scooter on the ship and it came from Tampa/Orlando.

As was mentioned

Edited by born2cruize

So we're all talking about Scootaround but I asked about Scootogo. Any info on that company?

Doesn't make a difference if it's Scootogo, Scootaround, Scooter Direct any non-approved vendor for that matter. If it's not one of the approved rental companies which have been pre-approved by USA Homeland Security, Port Authority and the Cruise Line the scooter cannot be delivered directly onto the ship or picked up directly from the ship. This has all been stated several times throughout this thread. If using a non-approved vendor other locations arrangements for delivery/pickup have to made which can impact your travel schedule.

The only two approved vendors are:

http://www.carevacations.com and http://www.specialneedsatsea.com. Note NCL only allows you to use http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

Edited by xxoocruiser