Tipping guidelines

lddam

My wife and I just booked an October 28, "Great Rivers of Europe" rivercruise with GCT. Although we have ocean cruised a number of times, this will be our first river cruise. We are aware of tipping guidelines for ocean cruising, but have no knowledge of what is appropriate for this venue.

Are tipping guidelines universal in that what is appropriate for ocean cruising is also appropriate for river cruising? Does one tip the GCT onboard cruise director or is it considered a faux pas? I would greatly appreciate the input from those more experienced than I.

Thanks,

Dave of ...

Dave & Marcia

R.E.D.I.S.

Dave & Marcia,

You will receive info on the tipping policy when you get your final documentation. Tipping is different on river cruises vs. ocean cruises. I have been on Uniworld (Danube River Cruise) and Victoria (Yangtze River, China) Cruise Lines. On both of them, there was a box set up in the lobby on the last day of the cruise. You put your tip in the box instead of giving it to each individual(waiters, room attendent, etc.). The entire crew shares in the tips. Of course you can give extra to an individual if you feel he/she deservers more. The cruise director is tipped seperately as he is not considered part of the crew.

Sirtom-

Hi, Neighbor. I feel better knowing that guidelines exist and will be in my documents. Thanks for the response.

Dave of ...

Dave & Marcia

R.E.D.I.S.

• 3 weeks later...

We will soon be doing the Great rivers of Europe for the second time with Grand Circle. You should know that you tip the crew separately from your cruise director. Each cruise has 3 cruise directors--one will be assigned to you and you will tip that person as you see fit. (This tip is NOT shared--so it should be based on the service of ONE person.)

Your other tip will be to the "entire crew" since all of these tips are shared equally. These young people (even those in the "background" REALLY work hard and we usually provide a bit more for them.

YOU WILL ENJOY your trip!! -- No matter what you will have a good time and you can rest assured that Grand Circle is prepared for ANY emergencies--a GOOD line to travel!

Azure Seas, Fair Seas, Jubilee, Festival, Sky Princess, Sovereign of the Seas, Star Princess, Rhapsody, Royal Princess, Dawn Princess, Fair Princess, Crown Princess, River Symphony, Infinity

River Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;05;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;10;03;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Barb B The lady with the patch behind her ear!

Archived