Transfer booking from NCL direct to a Travel Agent

LMaxwell

What about switching booking from TA to NCL? Can this be done, what are the benefits? I booked on the Saturday one day sale so I got my 3rd 50% off and only OBC of $50 and no free upgrade. I booked a mini-suite gty, in case this matters. My finally cost was $2514. I felt I should have been given more than $50 OBC.

What about switching booking from TA to NCL? Can this be done, what are the benefits? I booked on the Saturday one day sale so I got my 3rd 50% off and only OBC of $50 and no free upgrade. I booked a mini-suite gty, in case this matters. My finally cost was $2514. I felt I should have been given more than $50 OBC.

NCL won't match TA pricing so there is no point of moving the reservation from TA to NCL - even NCL's FAQ only talks about transfers from NCL to TA or TA to TA and in the latter case TA must authorize the transfer to another TA.

Because AFAIK the current promotion is the same as Saturday's "today only" promo was, you could also cancel your current reservation and make a new one with NCL directly.

NCL won't match TA pricing so there is no point of moving the reservation from TA to NCL - even NCL's FAQ only talks about transfers from NCL to TA or TA to TA and in the latter case TA must authorize the transfer to another TA.

Because AFAIK the current promotion is the same as Saturday's "today only" promo was, you could also cancel your current reservation and make a new one with NCL directly.

Saturday's sale also included OBC, UDP or UBP. Since OP also gets The discounted third rate, I would make sure of all amenities before canceling and rebooking. Otherwise, they could lose out, because now you have to choose between the 3-8th discount and the other promotions. You can't have both (unless in a full suite- not mini suite)

Karen from Texas- Go 'Horns!

Saturday's sale also included OBC, UDP or UBP.

So does the current promo which is the same wave promo that started in December just added with "Friends and Family sail free" - a combo that was supposed to be Saturday's "today only" deal.

http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15

Edited by Demonyte

If I transfer my reservation booked directly with NCL on Saturday to my travel agent (in order to get extra perks), will I loose the promos from my original booking as NCL will only give me a generic answer of "it depends on the travel agent"?

The person you need to be asking is your TA. Your booking transfers intact with no changes. You are not canceling the reservation. Tell the TA you are considering a transfer to them. Ask them to spell out exactly what additional perks you would have if you do. Be sure to ask about their policies and fees in regards to cancellations, some charge $100, or changes. Some even consider a change to the reservation such as cabin changes to be the same as cancellation in terms of applying the fee. If you are only getting $50 or $75 additional OBC, it might not be worth it. Oh, and some also charge a $25 processing fee per reservation, but I don't know if this applies on a transfer. Just ask lots of questions.

The person you need to be asking is your TA. Your booking transfers intact with no changes. You are not canceling the reservation. Tell the TA you are considering a transfer to them. Ask them to spell out exactly what additional perks you would have if you do. Be sure to ask about their policies and fees in regards to cancellations, some charge $100, or changes. Some even consider a change to the reservation such as cabin changes to be the same as cancellation in terms of applying the fee. If you are only getting $50 or $75 additional OBC, it might not be worth it. Oh, and some also charge a $25 processing fee per reservation, but I don't know if this applies on a transfer. Just ask lots of questions.

I just spoke with my local TA ( I have worked with them in the past). I am aware of the perks which are very good as this being the reason for the transfer. There are no additional fees. I just want to be sure that the transfer does not result in my losing my extras from Saturdays booking. My agent is calling NCL to be sure.

I just spoke with my local TA ( I have worked with them in the past). I am aware of the perks which are very good as this being the reason for the transfer. There are no additional fees. I just want to be sure that the transfer does not result in my losing my extras from Saturdays booking. My agent is calling NCL to be sure.

AFAIK you can get exactly the same perks today as you did on Saturday so there is no impact even if you cancelled the NCL booking and made a new one with the TA.

But to be honest, I don't understand what is the problem - you contacted NCL that said to contact your TA and your TA doesn't know about perks dissappearing (believe me, they would know if they planned to do something unusual with the res - as said, perks from NCL are part of the reservation and I've never heard of a TA that would have done something that would have caused perks to dissappear), and also at least one other person here besides me has told you that the perks will stay intact.

On Saturday (and extended to Sunday) it was the original Freestyle Choice promo, plus kids sail free/50% as an additional, cumulative promo. So cruizinrican would have gotten $200 OBC (or UBP/UDP) in addition to 50% off guest 3 if they had booked through NCL. (At least this is how I understood it, I admit I don't pay much attention to KSF.)

Travel agents don't always know about all the promos, and they don't always apply them unless you ask them to. That's why a lot of people prefer to do the work themselves on NCL.com, get the booking to look they want it to, and then transfer it to a TA for additional discounts/perks.

The only advice for cruizinrican now, I think, is to contact their current TA and see if they will do anything. If they need additional leverage, they can threaten to take the booking away and transfer it to another TA (although they can't actually do this unless the current TA agrees to release it).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

On Saturday (and extended to Sunday) it was the original Freestyle Choice promo, plus kids sail free/50% as an additional, cumulative promo.

...and to my understanding that is exactly the same promotion offered today, under same 'wave15' identifier and updated name (meaning that Saturday's "today only" was just a gimmick):

Or am I too letlagged and still missing something?

Or am I too letlagged and still missing something?
It looks different to me. Today you have to choose either the OBC or KSF (or UBP or UDP). On Saturday I believe you could get both (and the OBC was higher).

Maybe someone was quick enough to save the T&C from Saturday's one day only promo?

It looks different to me. Today you have to choose either the OBC or KSF (or UBP or UDP). On Saturday I believe you could get both (and the OBC was higher).

Maybe someone was quick enough to save the T&C from Saturday's one day only promo?

You are absolutely correct, we don't need KSF so didn't pay too much attention to that. Apparently I am jetlagged still. ;)

I assume you are past the final payment date so that canceling with the TA is not an option. The $50 OBC is supplied by the TA? Even if you transferred the booking to NCL, I don't believe you would retain this OBC and it would be a real headache to get it done. The TA will not be happy.

From what I have seen, OBC amounts are usually based on the base cruise fare. The charts are right on the websites. Or, maybe by cabin type. Sometimes you will see promos which will double the OBC. Right now OBC offers and perks in general seem lackluster. I only got $75 with my TA booking this time. Your $50 is probably in the ballpark for what is being offered now. Be happy with the great NCL promo you got with the booking and your extra $50 and enjoy the cruise.

I called the local office of a large regional travel agency a bit ago. They said that they would want me to cancel and rebook through them, and then they would not provide me with any additional perks, because they only have perks right now for the sailings leaving out of NY. So I asked, why would I do this, and they said, so we can control your reservation for you. Wrong answer, but I know what they mean. The woman couldn't verbalize what I think she meant, so no thanks. Still waiting on some call-backs.

So does the current promo which is the same wave promo that started in December just added with "Friends and Family sail free" - a combo that was supposed to be Saturday's "today only" deal.

This is not the same as the weekend promo.

The Weekend promo was Choose one of three (OBC, UBP, or UDP) AND 3rd-8th sail free. Now it is choose one of the four (at least at balcony level room).

Has anyone had any luck having NCL/PCC match a TA?

I'm happy with the services of my PCC so far. I don't want him to lose commissions. I'm plenty happy to leave the booking with NCL direct if they want to match any of the TA offers I get. Has anyone done this before?

I'm not going to cancel and rebook through anyone. I booked during a weekend promo that got me Ultimate Beverage AND 3rd in the room sails free. I could not get both today. I will only transfer if my booking stays intact AND I get additional perks but thought I should offer my PCC an opportunity to match other offers.

I'm happy with the services of my PCC so far. I don't want him to lose commissions. I'm plenty happy to leave the booking with NCL direct if they want to match any of the TA offers I get. Has anyone done this before?

No, as Demonyte said above, NCL does not match TA pricing. Many people have asked and received this same answer, and I've never seen a single report to the contrary.

It may make no difference to your PCC if you transfer your booking. People here have said that they get points for your booking even if you transfer the booking to a TA later (and they don't receive sales commissions per se like a TA does). Honestly, I don't know, but maybe you could ask them directly if you are concerned about that.

No, as Demonyte said above, NCL does not match TA pricing. Many people have asked and received this same answer, and I've never seen a single report to the contrary.

It may make no difference to your PCC if you transfer your booking. People here have said that they get points for your booking even if you transfer the booking to a TA later (and they don't receive sales commissions per se like a TA does). Honestly, I don't know, but maybe you could ask them directly if you are concerned about that.

I just think it would be fair of me to offer one company the option to match another. If the PCC still gets credit and / or paid for the booking, I think that is great. He did spend a fair amount of time doing work for me. But in the end I am shopping for the best overall deal. I'd love if the PCC could do a match, but if they can't I don't want to leave money on the table.

I will look into the big box clubs too.

I get around 10% of the cruise fare in OBC from my TA. :D

I need your TA's number! Dang!

That's what we get too, about 10% either in OBC and/or as a discount from the total price.

We are not allowed to recommend agencies so just shop around, I found our TA from a paid listing on this site (not from banner ads etc).

That's what we get too, about 10% either in OBC and/or as a discount from the total price.

We are not allowed to recommend agencies so just shop around, I found our TA from a paid listing on this site (not from banner ads etc).

I know you can't give number, I was being funny. Sorry. Haha

We are in the same situation. Escape, Spa Balcony, freestyle UDP and 3rd (kid) passenger free. Good price I think at $2659. Got another cruise on Getaway all the same at $2509. Problem with transferring (in our case, to Costco) is Costco cannot quote a price until the reservation is transferred....

We did this on our last cruise and Costco's price saved us about $400 plus got a small on board credit. This time around it seems like it's less. While they don't really provide advice on cruises, the price was right and easy to reach them. We got 2 upgrades -- from mini suite guaranty to a guaranteed nice location, then another upgrade to spa mini site. But that was because of my work monitoring prices and calling Costco to get NCL on the line and ask about how much it would cost to upgrade. I was shocked to get the upgrade to spa room for free.

On another cruise, we had a travel agent. We sent our final bill to the agent, and were mailed a check for a certain percent of the commissionable fare.

I personally enjoy planning my own vacations without a travel agent and I have plenty of experienced cruisers giving me advice.

I'm going to start shopping T/A's to see who wants to "buy" my reservation.

I expect my price, perks, and cabin to remain exactly as originally booked.

3 people - Escape - Balcony Cabin - Free Ultimate Bev Package for guests one and two. 3rd in room sails for only taxes and fees. With taxes, fees, and insurance (purchased through NCL) it is around $2500.

With that sort of cost what sort of offers should I expect from a T/A? I won't go through the hassle for $25 OBC...

Should I have a target of $100 OBC? $200 OBC? Free specialty dinner?

Edited by SeaWatcher65

The last two times I've cruised we've used an online travel agency. They have a booking fee of 24.95 a cabin. Is this a normal amount for a booking fee? I was thinking the next time I should just do an online booking directly with NCL. I booked an Oceanview and got the UBP with 50 OBC. I'm happy with what I got, just wondering about the booking fee.