Panama Canal Crusing Question

Longboysfan

We are booked on the Galaxy in February out of Galveston.

When they say Panama Canal Crusing. Does the Galaxy go into the locks and up into the lake? Then back out again.

Yes. You'll go in through the Gatun locks on the Atlantic side and into Gatun Lake. From there, anyone with either a ship's sponsored shorex or approved private shorex will be tendered off to shore to pick up the bus. Everyone else will remain on the ship for the return through Gatun and all will meet up again on the Atlantic side.

Yes. You'll go in through the Gatun locks on the Atlantic side and into Gatun Lake. From there, anyone with either a ship's sponsored shorex or approved private shorex will be tendered off to shore to pick up the bus...

Canderson,

I'm not sure that Celebrity will let passengers tender off in Gatun Lake for a private shorex.

Canderson,

I'm not sure that Celebrity will let passengers tender off in Gatun Lake for a private shorex.

That's what I thought at well. This will be Panama cruise w/Celebrity #3, and this time I have been doing my homework.

Some private operators have had some success with this, and I've located one of particular interest who has taken the necessary steps with Celebrity. It needs to be cleared in advance with Celebrity, and in order to set foot on the tender, you'll need the paperwork to demonstrate that you've actually got a tour booked with the operator in question.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I know what is what when the Wife asks.

Any tours that are the - You have to take this or you are missing it. - type.

Of the three that we've done thus far, I'd have to honestly say no, nothing of quite that sort. However, if you haven't ever made this trip, something like the Gatun/Portabello is a fairly inexpensive way to see a few things. We've also done the full end-to-end business by ferry with our kids on a subsequent trip (OK as shorex goes, but depends greatly upon the quality of the guide), and the "Grand Tour" or whatever they call it once. Have never tried the train ride.

My wife finds the entire canal/locks business fascinating. I think this is in part due to the nature of our first trip. We had an outstanding speaker on the Infinity back in 2003 that packed the large theater three times.

Truth is, I'm not decided yet what we'll be doing in December. We'll be travelling with some cruise newcomers who have also never seen the Canal, and I'll show them the private options to go along with the X list and let them make the call.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I know what is what when the Wife asks.

Any tours that are the - You have to take this or you are missing it. - type.

Of the three that we've done thus far, I'd have to honestly say no, nothing of quite that sort. However, if you haven't ever made this trip, something like the Gatun/Portabello is a fairly inexpensive way to see a few things. We've also done the full end-to-end business by ferry with our kids on a subsequent trip (OK as shorex goes, but depends greatly upon the quality of the guide), and the "Grand Tour" or whatever they call it once. Have never tried the train ride.

My wife finds the entire canal/locks business fascinating. I think this is in part due to the nature of our first trip. We had an outstanding speaker on the Infinity back in 2003 that packed the large theater three times.

Truth is, I'm not decided yet what we'll be doing in December. We'll be travelling with some cruise newcomers who have also never seen the Canal, and I'll show them the private options to go along with the X list and let them make the call.

Archived