Has anyone used the Citibank rewards card with Thank you points for a cruise?

Somehow my first thread got messed up, but I was wondering if anyone else has the Citibank Diamond Rewards credit card with points for the Thank You network.

The card uses points, 5 points for every dollar spent at a gas station, supermarket, or drugstore and 1 point everywhere else. The points can be redeemed for gift certificates, travel, electronics, etc.

25,000 points gets you a round trip ticket to U.S. and Canada, but it says you can only use one reward per trip. Does that mean if with 50,000 points you can't get 2 tickets for the same flights? Can you combine them with the gift certicates? 10,000 points=$100 certificate for Carnival or RCL.

Just wondering if anyone else has this card and has had any issues with redeeming points.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I used some of my points for a gift certificate before I booked my trip (Explorer 6/25/06 to Bermuda). There was some small print on the back. They can be used for down payments or final payments, but you have to book with RCCL and not a travel agent. I mailed my certificate to them as instructed on the back. I keep checking to see if it has been credited to my account, but it hasn't yet. They tell me that they post them to accounts based on the date of the cruise, so I may not see it for a while. I'm just glad I kept a copy of it just in case there is a problem. I hoping to build up more points so I can get one or two more in time to make the final payment.

Sorry, but I don't know about combining rewards for flights.

• 2 months later...

I, too, have CitiBank rewards program. They have recently updated their program, and I did see something on there where you can redeem 10,000 points for $100 cruise credits. I used my points to fly round trip from Florida to Antigua last summer, 30,000 points for a flight that would have cost about $600. Back then, you could fly anywhere in Mexico for 25,000. What a deal, eh?

I have Citibank - booked the cruise before I realized I could use my points for that - but got points up to 75,000 and booked 3 airline tickets, then quickly went to the airline they (citibank) booked me with and paid for 2 more tickets. Some sweating because I needed 5. But decided to get 3 - dad and 2 kids and then if I couldn't get the same flight at least the other kid & I would be together. But it did work out and with the airline I got us seats all together. The only problem was we wanted a red-eye from San Diego to Miami, but that was not available - so we had to add the price of a hotel in Miami to our expenses (& the kids have to miss a day of school). Still cheaper than the 3 tickets. The Thank you people at Citi Bank were very helpful and patient. (at one point I had them on one ear and my husband on the cell phone of the other ear so I could ok things through him)

I also have Thank you Rewards from Citibank. I called them to get details on the cruise certificates this weekend. How to use them, how long are they good for etc. I was told that they no longer send out these certificates. You will need to book the cruise thru them. I wasn't too happy since I have been saving for years so I could get enough certificates to pay for a cruise. Looks like I'll be using my rewards for something else. And look for a different credit card with rewards.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

a long time ago for a few years I used my CITIBANK rewards for a 1 yr dental plan.. LOL

I did just redeem some of my AT&T UNIVERSAL rewards for a $100 coupon on Carnival, The coupon I got was good until 2008 and could be used with additional coupons, paying towards your onboard sail & Sign card or excursions. The coupons that come in the merchandiser discount books and avail on eBAy are usually only good towards booking a new cruise.

We have a Celebrity Rewards Visa. We put our cruise shore trips, dh tux rental, pre paid spa treatment all of these we get double points. We have also used it for orther purchases. On our 9/2 cruise to Europe we will have $200 ship board credit. 5000 points = $50

• 1 month later...

Your limited to $300 worth of redemable rewards a year which I am approaching prior to my booking!! I got a letter in the mail that they want to keep me a happy customer and to call them for some promos. I called and they gave me 5x rewards on ALL purchases for 3 months! Needless to say I'm booking my cruise and paying in full in advance to reap the full points!

I just used Thank you points for a $700 flight to Hawaii non-stop from the east coast. Poking around their site it appeared the only cruise rewards were OBC's for a couple lines so I opted for the free airfare instead. Ended up booking four more tix on the same flight for the rest of the family. Customer Service at Thank-You travel department was extremely efficient and helpful. Even loaded my FF number for the flight so I get miles for a flight I didn't even pay for.

Archived