Am I Overthinking this?

dvcdisney

I'm new to RCCL and have only cruised on DCL. So I'm not familiar with the beverage packages. In all my cruises, I would frequently send my son to get me a soda to take back to the stateroom. Since it's complimentary, there was no issue.

But with our upcoming Allure cruise, my husband and I have a beverage package but I didn't purchase any for my children. Neither of them drink soda/pop or any specialty drinks - usually water and milk.

So my question is...would I be able to send my son to get me a soda using the souvenir cup or do I have to be the one to do it? Would it matter if I give him my SeaPass so they know it's not for him...he doesn't drink soda/pop anyway. If he did, I would get him the refreshment package, but it would be a waste of money since he only drinks water and juice.

Am I overthinking this? I just don't want him to be told he's stealing...it's not for him, it's for me. Seems really silly, but I would like to know if anyone has had this experience.

Thanks.

Truthfully, on our last trip I don't believe my Sea Pass was swiped once for a Coke, and I booked the package early enough in the game that it was printed on the Sea Pass card.

It WAS asked if DW could send me to the bar to pick up a glass of wine for her, and the bartender showed us where when they swiped the card the guest's photo came up. Having said that though, they obviously keep a tighter rein on the Rum n Coke than the Coke by itself.

So my guess is I would be shocked if they scrutinized your youngster's pass well enough to deny him a Coke; but I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it if they did 'cause da rules are da rules.

If he has the cup, it should be fine. There's also freestyle coke machines, which are self serve and require the cup, and have tons of flavors. :)

Truthfully, on our last trip I don't believe my Sea Pass was swiped once for a Coke, and I booked the package early enough in the game that it was printed on the Sea Pass card.

It WAS asked if DW could send me to the bar to pick up a glass of wine for her, and the bartender showed us where when they swiped the card the guest's photo came up. Having said that though, they obviously keep a tighter rein on the Rum n Coke than the Coke by itself.

So my guess is I would be shocked if they scrutinized your youngster's pass well enough to deny him a Coke; but I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it if they did 'cause da rules are da rules.

Thanks for your replies. I was only planning on sending him to the Freestyle Coke machines. I didn't think he would be able to get it from a restaurant.

I just wanted to make sure that when I send him to the Freestyle machine, he's not accused stealing the cup. I'm reading quite a bit on here about the rules against sharing and I don't want them to think I'm sharing it with him...he doesn't even drink soda.

The "cup" is never questioned...Until the second to last day and the last day of each cruise.

That is because they sell those souvenir "cups" at all venues for take home on the last two days. Therefore, on those last two days you MUST show your card indicating the beverage plan and they will run the card for even a simple Coke on those last two days. Funny how your picture comes up...

The "cup" is never questioned...Until the second to last day and the last day of each cruise.

That is because they sell those souvenir "cups" at all venues for take home on the last two days. Therefore, on those last two days you MUST show your card indicating the beverage plan and they will run the card for even a simple Coke on those last two days. Funny how your picture comes up...

Thanks! I'll make sure I get it myself for the last few days.

Not even sure if he'll be around us enough for me to send him off to get it. I may have to send my husband instead...:)

Really? When did that start? I didn't know they sold them at the end of the cruise.

I've never experienced or even heard of that happening. :confused:

I have never experienced that. Especially if you are using the freestyle machine. There is no one to look at your card.

I have never experienced that. Especially if you are using the freestyle machine. There is no one to look at your card.

Right. If there's a freestyle machine, the cup will have a chip on the bottom. Only those cups with the special chip will work. I doubt they are selling those at the end of the cruise.

Do you mind my asking what package(s) you and your husband purchased. I'm still in a quandry about what to pre-purchase. Do you plan on sharing up??

My husband and I are each getting the Replenish package. Neither one of us drink alcohol so the decision was quite easy. My husband loves Pellegrino (sparkling water) and I love lattes, cappuccinos etc. We do on occasion drink soda so it's the perfect package for us. Both my children generally drink water, juice and milk so I won't be getting them a package.

Packages cannot be shared. Each person needs to buy their own.

I too sometimes "Over worry" about situations.

Hope you have a great cruise !!

Thanks! It's our first RCCL cruise and first beverage package. I do prefer DCL - soda is free and if you want you can just purchase the specialty coffees and sparkling water.

I guess reading a lot of posts about it made me a bit worried.

I didn't see what ship you are on, but keep in mind only the ships that sail exclusively in North America and the Caribbean have Freestyle machines.

Thanks for the heads up. I have checked and do believe that there is Freestyle machines.

I've never experienced or even heard of that happening. :confused:

Same. I've never heard of it at all.

Thanks! It's our first RCCL cruise and first beverage package. I do prefer DCL - soda is free and if you want you can just purchase the specialty coffees and sparkling water.

I guess reading a lot of posts about it made me a bit worried.

Well, when you look at the price difference of an average Disney cruise and an average Royal cruise, you can hardly say the soda is "free" on DCL. :)

Well, when you look at the price difference of an average Disney cruise and an average Royal cruise, you can hardly say the soda is "free" on DCL. :)

Absolutely! You can factor in the price of the soda and say it's free on the Royal cruise as well.

I understand that many people are getting great prices with Royal but I don't think we had a significant savings as others have mentioned. But we definitely saved more than the cost of unlimited soda. I'm just hoping that our experience will be on par with our DCL cruise.

My son has now decided that he will have the Refreshment package since they offer Dasani flavours in the Freestyle Machines.

So I guess the question is no longer valid in my case. But I hope it helps someone else who "overthinks" as much as I do. :)

Edited by dvcdisney

In addition to the Dasani water, he'll be able to get the fresh squeezed juice for breakfast which he'll love instead of the juice from concentrate.:p

I didn't think fresh squeeze juice was included in the Refreshment package (soda package). I thought I would have to get the Replenish package to get that. Am I incorrect?