Grandeur question

Perry1180

Contemplating a cruise out of Baltimore, instead of going all the way down to Florida... much easier from NJ.

I realize I could sail out of NJ, but Baltimore is very easy to access by Amtrak.

So my question, is there a Sorrento's Pizza on Grandeur?

I didn't see it listed on the deck map, or your guide.

If there is no Sorrento's, than where is the drink machine [for drink packages] located?

I appreciate your help.

I have another question, (may be slightly off topic) I would like to add to this thread related to the Grandeur of the Seas.

I have just booked my family and myself on the July 17 - 24 cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore.

Two quirky items I have noticed; No one has set up a roll call for this cruise, (I just set one up myself). On all of my previous cruises, I noticed roll calls have been set up - some as many as a year in advance. No big issue, but I found there were roll calls for the week before and the week after.

The second item I find odd, this cruise is over five months away and we were wait listed for first seating dinner. Again no big issue, but I have to wonder if this is normal for RCI or perhaps, just maybe a large group has partially chartered the vessel for this particular cruise. If so, id there a way I could find out about this? :confused:

It seems that traditional fixed seating times are many times "wait listed." IMO, it is a poorly veiled attempt to force you into My Time Dining. Early seating seems to be more popular than the late seating which we prefer, but I would not be surprised if early seating opens up at some point after final payment is due since there tend to be some cancellations and TA's turning rooms back into inventory.

We've sailed Grandeur five or six times now (most recently May of 2014) and find the ship to be in good condition and her crew to be outstanding.

Edited by Janet524

Some thoughts on waitlisted. We booked our March Grandeur cruise this past December. When we booked early, late, and MTD were all available. When I joined our roll call people who had booked months before us stated they had been waitlisted. I'm thinking that maybe Royal wants people to pay the pre paid gratuities. Money in their pocket sooner. Just a thought............;)

Edited by ETski

Some thoughts on waitlisted. We booked our March Grandeur cruise this past December. When we booked early, late, and MTD were all available. When I joined our roll call people who had booked months before us stated they had been waitlisted. I'm thinking that maybe Royal wants people to pay the pre paid gratuities. Money in their pocket sooner. Just a thought............;)

I think it's the other way around. Some people request traditional dining to avoid prepaying gratuities, but in fact have no intention of using it (mentioned regularly on roll calls). The outcome is empty seats in the dining room, and many people like you (and us) who would like to be there.

I think it's the other way around. Some people request traditional dining to avoid prepaying gratuities, but in fact have no intention of using it (mentioned regularly on roll calls). The outcome is empty seats in the dining room, and many people like you (and us) who would like to be there.

I booked a cruise almost a year in advance directly from RCL with a discounted deposit, and was told I would be put on a wait list for early dining . When I transferred the booking to a TA, the TA said I could get guaranteed early dining with them, but I had to increase my deposit. This type of inconsistency happens much too often and it really irks me. What other industry operates in such a confusing and irritating manner? This probably continues in the industry because only a few lines run the majority of cruises and each one sees the other gets away with this behavior. Every week it seems different rules apply to the same bookings. Irritated customers keep coming back!

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I booked a cruise almost a year in advance directly from RCL with a discounted deposit, and was told I would be put on a wait list for early dining . When I transferred the booking to a TA, the TA said I could get guaranteed early dining with them, but I had to increase my deposit. This type of inconsistency happens much too often and it really irks me. What other industry operates in such a confusing and irritating manner? This probably continues in the industry because only a few lines run the majority of cruises and each one sees the other gets away with this behavior. Every week it seems different rules apply to the same bookings. Irritated customers keep coming back!

Maybe they give the TA the assigned dining times. We booked with a TA and all times were available. I agree with you, all the silly things lots of cruise lines do. And yes it still doesn't stop us from cruising!!! LOL maybe we should all stop cruising. Maybe cruise lines will then listen to us.:D

I just booked for a cruise 10 months away and there was no traditional dining times available either early or late. I KNOW that can't be true because according to the room choices available the ship is less then 50% booked at this time. The TA told me she thinks they do that to 1) get gratuities prepaid and 2) along with that, most people get on board credit of some kind, either through a promotion with the cruise line or their TA, if you prepay the gratuities you can't use the OBC to cover them which is what many people had been doing. This way you are forced to use the OBC to do ADDITIONAL things like excursions, specialty dining, drinking, or spa activities.

Edited by lisastover4088
spelling

I just booked for a cruise 10 months away and there was no traditional dining times available either early or late. I KNOW that can't be true because according to the room choices available the ship is less then 50% booked at this time. The TA told me she thinks they do that to 1) get gratuities prepaid and 2) along with that, most people get on board credit of some kind, either through a promotion with the cruise line or their TA, if you prepay the gratuities you can't use the OBC to cover them which is what many people had been doing. This way you are forced to use the OBC to do ADDITIONAL things like excursions, specialty dining, drinking, or spa activities.

The cruise lines should just be honest and make a rule that OBC cannot pay for gratuities, not that I am in favor of it. How many people in general would this really affect? This may at least smooth out the early and late dining reservations and stop this inconsistent wait listing, etc. Most people want to know right away if they can get their preferred dining time.

An earlier poster wondered why no one has started a roll call for their July Bermuda cruise. I think a short summer cruise is not usually filled with a lot of regulars , who are the ones that like the long leading up period to connect and chat. Just my guess!

I originally booked a cruise months in advance with an online TA. Was told at that time that there was no early dining available. Also no wait list. Only mytime and late. A couple weeks later received an email saying that she could now put me on a wait list. Lo and behold a few weeks later early was confirmed. Was curious and called Royal. The young man who answered said he also worked as a private TA. He explained that as the ship starts to fill up at some point they will shut off early, only have late and my time EVEN THOUGH there are plenty of tables available. As more people book they will open early back up. This may happen a few times from start to finish. What he says they are trying to do is even out the 3 dining options proportionately. If true, I'm sure, as always there is some method to their madness.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess waitlists are worth waiting for....

I wanted My Time Dining, but it never opened up, so I moved dinner back from 6 pm to 8 pm, and requested a table for two, which I was given.

Just trying to learn as much as I can, and I appreciate all the information I receive here.

I also figured I could have lunch around 1 pm or 2 pm, and instead of Sorrento's [born in Brooklyn, I love pizza} I could eat at the Windjammer, or the dining room.

I see your cruising the April 10 cruise... come join the roll call...

We have a cabin crawl, slot pull and a gift exchange planned!!!

Here we are.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008874&page=25

and don't forget sign up for the meet & mingle too... that way, you will get an invitation to the Royal meet and mingle.. here is the link for that .. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

:D

hello fellow jerseyite.. im going on grandeur in like 2 weeks, since you have seemed to research it how far is the train station from the port?

I recently searched for the same info. The Port of Baltimore webpage says it's about 5 miles. A person on my roll call took a taxi from the train station to the port and said it cost her about 20 or less.

I work for the Baltimore Visitors Center in the Inner Harbor. If you are coming north on Amtrak get off at the BWI Rail Station not the Baltimore City station. There are always taxis outside of the train station to take you to the port and it is about $20, They may charge your extra for the number of pieces of luggage. If your are getting off at the Baltimore City station there are taxis there also about the same price.

If you want to spend time before or after the cruise in Baltimore have the taxi take you to the Inner Harbor and spend some time exploring the city. The Baltimore Visitors Center is open from 10-6 and give you great ideas on where to stay and what to see.

Interesting info here on the dining times.....

I just booked our cruise for the week of Thanksgiving (of course that is a highly traveled week) and was not able to get My Time Dining or Early Seating for dinner. I had to choose the 8pm (way to late for us) and then put on the wait list for My Time. We really enjoy eating in the MDR, and really hoping we can get a seat for the early seating!

• 1 year later...