Renting a car at Port

Traveling Dot

We have a scheduled stop over in Fort Lauderdale before heading up to Boston. When we first booked this cruise there was a excursion to Hollywood, Florida listed and now it is gone. I have a friend I wanted to visit in Hollywood and I am thinking of trying to rent a car. I need information on how to do this in Fort Lauderdale. I have looked on line and all the rental places are far from the terminal or at the airport. Has anyone else ever rented a car here?

All thoughts on what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks,:)

Traveling Dot

We have a scheduled stop over in Fort Lauderdale before heading up to Boston. When we first booked this cruise there was a excursion to Hollywood, Florida listed and now it is gone. I have a friend I wanted to visit in Hollywood and I am thinking of trying to rent a car. I need information on how to do this in Fort Lauderdale. I have looked on line and all the rental places are far from the terminal or at the airport. Has anyone else ever rented a car here?

Traveling Dot

Keep in mind , the cruise terminal is only about 10 miles from the port or a $10 taxi ride. Check some rental companies have outlets near the port with shuttles .

Most of the major companies (Hertz, National, Avis, Budget) provide shuttle bus service to their respective locations. The shuttles circle the port on a regular basis. Just ask HAL upon exiting their terminal where the rental-car shuttles pickup area is. To clarify, the Ft. Laud. airport is 2 miles away! As an alternative, you might consider taxi service to Hollywood to visit your friends. They are readily available outside the terminals.

Most of the major companies (Hertz, National, Avis, Budget) provide shuttle bus service to their respective locations. The shuttles circle the port on a regular basis. Just ask HAL upon exiting their terminal where the rental-car shuttles pickup area is. To clarify, the Ft. Laud. airport is 2 miles away! As an alternative, you might consider taxi service to Hollywood to visit your friends. They are readily available outside the terminals.

I thought about a taxi but I worry about getting back to the ship in time. I like to be in control of my destiny :eek: , so I think I will call my TA and ask her if she can arrange something for me. Still have time to work this out.

We use rental cars to get from our home in SW Florida to FLL. We use Avis and there's an office at the Pier 66 on 17th Street, about 5 minutes from the pier. There's a shuttle that will pick you up outside the terminal and deliver you to Avis at Pier 66. It is more convenient and cheaper to pick up rentals from there than the airport where you are charged additional fees. It's a breeze!!:D:D You can then return the car at Pier 66 and grab a cab to the airport or, perhaps, they will shuttle you there for free. The phone number is 954-713-1500. Or, maybe you can return the car to the airport and fly home, if that's your plan.

Edited by Skipper's Mom

There is an Enterprise office almost AT the gate near to terminal 26, where HAL often docks. It would be maybe a 5 minute, $5 cab ride unless the 'pick you up' campaign is still active.

Just checked the Enterprise website and yes - they will still pick you up (you do have to take the car delivery person back to the office).

Edited by take us away

Traveling Dot

Hertz has an office very close to the Port in a hotel.. Avis might also have a location close to both..

We rent cars or vans to & from the port & pick up our cars in our hometown & take them back to the airport which really is close.. They have a van which brings you to & from Port Everglades.. Most rental places are not that far from either the airport or Port Everglades & they all pick you up at the cruise terminal.. Check out this site:

http://www.fortlauderdaleautorental.com/?gclid=CKH2tuLty8MCFRIjgQodtGMAVQ

We have rented cars from agencies close to the port and also from the airport using the shuttle. It takes at least 2-3 times longer to get a car from the airport, plus there are additional airport fees. For the one day in Ft Lauderdale, would echo the recommendation for use of a cab or at least rent from an agency close to the port.