insurance debate

surrocruiser

I really need some help in making this decision. We leave on our cruise on 9/24. I keep going back and forth on the insurance issue (there have been numerous other posts). To make a long story short, we leave in less than 30 days. Is that too late to purchase anyway? We do not have a credit card, using cash for every expense. If the point to insurance is they compensate after you file a claim, it wouldn't do me any good anyway. We have hit a small financial issue and basically are going to go on a bit of a budget. Do I bother spending the money on the insurance or just put it towards enjoying my cruise and if anything does happen, deal with it then?

I was like you, until I called my health insurance people and found out how HORRIBLE my medical insurance is when yiou are out of the country. Mine will only cover 60% plus a 500$ deductable. Think about it, OK I get a cold onboard or scratch myself and need to see the doctor, no big deal, BUT what if (god forbid) you have a serious illness or accident and have to be airlifted off the ship? You are talking THOUSANDS of dollars. Check and find out if your health coverage covers you abroad then make the decision. For me, even though we are healthy, middle aged adults, the 100$ for insurance is worth it. Also, say your luggage is lost or stolen? cruise ships only cover 100$ worth of luggage, my husbands suit is worth more than that. just food for thought!

Get the insurance. You need to worry about more than the temporary out of pocket expense. Would you rather have a temporary out of pocket expense but get reimbursed later, or have an out-of-pocket expense with no hope of reimbursement which sinks you into a financial hole from which you can't recover?

If finances are that tight at the moment, can you afford to eat the cost of an new airplane ticket because your cruiseship was forced to dock hundreds of miles away from your original port city which is now indefinitely closed (ala the Conquest and New Orleans).

If you get seriously ill, can you afford to eat the $1000s of dollars it would cost to get treatment in a foreign country if your health insurance doesn't cover out of country expenses.

Yes, any upfront costs would be hard for you to handle, but at least with insurance you would know that the money would be reimbursed and you wouldn't be left in the hole.

With the way last year's hurricane season went, and this year's is going, it would be extremely foolish to not get travel insurance, especially since you are traveling during hurricane season.

I agree, you shouldn't forgo the insurance. It's too important. Sorry to hear you're in a tough financial spot and hope it's only very temporary, but taking a cruise with no insurance, it way too big a risk, IMO.

Jane

Archived