Infinity in Alaska - kids programs?

kdnmom

We're considering cruising Alaska this June and are looking at the Infinity round-trip from Vancouver, including Hubbard Glacier. We are 2 families with a total of 6 kids: 16 girl, 14 girl, 13 boy, 13 boy, 9 boy, and 7 boy. Does anyone know what types of activities or programs they might have on the Infinity that would interest kids of these ages? Does anyone have any lists from the kids' programs from recent cruises?

I would also welcome any general advice about the Inifinity or Alaska, as this would be the first time for all of us.

Thanks!

I have second-hand information from friends who cruised celebrity to Alaska with their twin boys, then age 9, a few years ago. I apologize in advance that I don't have a ton of details, but on their sailing there were scarcely any kids, the Fun Factory was quite limited, and therefore the cruise was not so great for the kids. Hopefully, others can give you more concrete feedback, but I thought I'd pass this along. Apparently, a Disney cruise ship sailed the same day --the family watched it pull away, water slide, tons of kids, and all. (sad trombone music, here) ...good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are doing our first celebrity cruise in March - so I can't comment on the Celebrity kids activities. We sailed to Alaska this past August on Disney and I don't think it can be beat for kids! They had SO many activities for kids! DD (9 at the time) had an incredible time. I'd seriously consider Disney with that many kids along. The itinerary is said to be inferior, but we felt like we really were able to experience Alaska and the Tracy Arm Fjord was incredible!

Thank you all for your input. The itinerary for the Disney cruise is not as appealing as the itinerary for the Celebrity Infinity. Also, Disney would cost almost twice as much (for the week we're travelling) for 5 of us squeezed into one cabin as Celebrity would cost for 2 cabins.

The cruise is relatively port-centric so we will be spending a lot of time off of the ship anyway. I was just looking for an idea of the types of activities that the Fun Factory would host. Crafts? Alaska-specific activities? Organized sports for the older kids? Do they have a naturalist on board (not kid-specific, but would interest all of our kids)?

Skigal - Did your friends travel in the summer?

Thanks!

Thank you all for your input. The itinerary for the Disney cruise is not as appealing as the itinerary for the Celebrity Infinity. Also, Disney would cost almost twice as much (for the week we're travelling) for 5 of us squeezed into one cabin as Celebrity would cost for 2 cabins.

The cruise is relatively port-centric so we will be spending a lot of time off of the ship anyway. I was just looking for an idea of the types of activities that the Fun Factory would host. Crafts? Alaska-specific activities? Organized sports for the older kids? Do they have a naturalist on board (not kid-specific, but would interest all of our kids)?

Skigal - Did your friends travel in the summer?

Thanks!

Yes, they traveled in the summer. I have other friends who have sailed with kids in summer on Celebrity and had a great time. I hope you get some responses from others who have done a Celebrity cruise in AK with kids, as it's on out list to enjoy!

We sailed last year on Celebrity Century to Alaska with our two older kids. Although we were not on the Infinity, it is the same itinerary you will be taking. Our two children, are a bit older than your kids and therefore not really interested in the kids programs. However they loved it and we saw many kids having a great time in and around the ship. My daughter was 17 and reluctantly on our urging checked out the teen club but was more content to explore and seek out people on her own and we were more than fine with it. Your younger children will more than likely love all of the fun and interactive activities offered, and if they aren't interested, don't fret, it is after all a family vacation, we brought some card games and some of our favourite memories were spent on deck playing games and enjoying each others company!! I completely agree with you about Disney, it is way too expensive and we too were seeking the itinerary that worked best for us and that was celebrity. Your family will have a great time and I am certain your children will enjoy themselves. We love Celebrity and apparently our kids do too because they have asked to join us again on our upcoming cruise this summer. Don't worry about any urging you are receiving to check out Disney, it seems to me that many discourage people to bring kids, I am not sure why because we saw children of all ages on our trip. Pick the cruise that fits your family and you will have a wonderful time!

There are lots of things to do and lots of kids on all AK cruises. Over 300 on our cruise from AK to Vancouver last year. Never saw our 10 and 12 year old grandkids except at dinner. The Celebrity website describes the programs well. Did an Easter cruise on X in the Caribbean and there were over 500 kids! The X staff was very busy as were the kids.

Edited by az_tchr
Spelling