What to do in ports / excursion recommendations

kathy884

My husband and son (19) will be doing an Alaskan Cruise together on Carnival from Seattle. DH received a freebie offer for two to do an ocean view cruise, and they will upgrade to balcony. This is a cruise from Seattle that does Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. They are just doing the cruise -- no cruise tour before or after. Also the only port they (we) have been to is Victoria and we've been there quite a few times. Last time we stayed for a week. (Do to lack of vacation time due to other trips activities planned, I won't be going, but I think it's really cool that DH and DS will do this together and told them I'd help I in the planning. I'm usually the vacation planner.)

Anyway, there are so many tour choices and many of the cool sounding things are awfully expensive. If you had a budget of let's say $750 per person for activities and/or tours at these five places, what would you do at each. I'm guessing there might be a few things to splurge on and that some other ports might be pretty good for exploring on your own or doing a fun inexpensive or moderately priced activity.

Anyway, We're overwhelmed with the choices and would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

I have a few questions and would love to

Edited by kathy884

We are going on a cruise tour this summer for the first time with a group of 10 adults. After lots of research and reading reviews I have planned out all of the excursions. You have to decide with the 3 of you what you would like to do at each port. It seems that Juneau is the place to do a whale watch. We are booked with Harv and Marv. We plan to see Mendenhall glacier and maybe do the Mount Robert tramway and explore the town. In Ketchikan we were planning to just walk around the town, they also have a duck tour. We decided to book with Island wings to do the tour of the Misty Fjords. For your son there is a zip line adventure. In Skagway there is the White mountain pass train excursion or you can book with a private company to drive up the Klondike highway. We have booked with Trails of 98 tours take that take us in a private van up the Klondike highway to see all of the sights. Once you make decision of what you want to do at each port, then read the reviews of companies that you are considering booking with. We are not going to Victoria, but touring the historic town and the gardens that are there is very popular. I am very confident with the companies I have personally chosen I hope you have a wonderful trip. Good luck with planning.

Edited by travgurl

you didn't indicate their interests or physical ability.

After looking at the ship's excursion list, there weren't ANY options that blew them away ??

When is this cruise .... if the timing is right perhaps they be interested in a fly in bear viewing trip?

There are 3 or 4 trip reports on pg 3 of the trip report list that include cruises with teens. You might want to look them over and see which activities. The report from JozieRhodes is a photo journal from a very active trip and might be more beneficial.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046395&page=3

Edited by mapleleaves

There are so many things to do in the AK ports that you really need to do what piques your (their) interests. Here is a good place to start www.cruiseportinsider.com It will give you the down low on the various cruise ship tours, a bit of history on the towns as well as some DIY ideas.

AK tours are indeed expensive - most of the operators make their entire years living during the cruise/tourist season - also everything in AK needs to be brought in by plane or boat so it is expensive.

I too was overwhelmed on my first AK visit. As a result I just went with the "Best of .... " at each port to get to know the area. I thought the prices were reasonable where they mix 'n matched the highlights.

If there was time afterwards, I would explore the town at leisure or seek out the best crab opportunities available.

These excursions have lots of capacity and rarely sell out. You can decide the night before or at the dock for the privates. I wonder if Carnival has tour lectures on the second sea day like HAL where they go over the highlights and suggest some tours.

Hmm... does that budget include pictures??? That's my weakness...

Here's some ideas from another cruise line...

I wonder if there is a "Behind the Fun" tour for Alaska... that tour might be worth checking out too!

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/cruise/cruise-buzz/behind-the-scenes-tour-how-a-cruise-ship-works/2986403/

Thanks everyone. Looks like there are a lot of good choices with the budget we're looking at. // DS's passion is photography and wildlife, so really not any bad choices for him. // DH it sounds like now is wanting to do one of the bear ones as he really hasn't seen many bears in the wild before. // My dad thinks the caving ice is the coolest thing to see in Alaska -- Tracey Arm up close -- things like that. He hasn't cruised Alaska, but has enjoyed land visits.

What you did, what's popular in the ports, gives us a much better sense of choices. I've found your posts really helpful. Now the fun is picking and choosing.

Oh and xlxo -- The behind the scenes cruise tours are really cool -- These ships are amazing operations. We did one of these in 2012 on a cruise to St. John and Halifax from New York City and really enjoyed that.

I too would ask what their interests are - because there are so many ways to do many tour options - that what they do where might be based on what they are more drawn to.

I second the use of Cruiseportsinsider.

Give us more info and we'd love to help with ideas.