Passport debacle

raekae55

I had applied for a passport name change and supplied all of the documents needed, not realizing my divorce certificate was notarized and not certified, it was rejected. I had paid extra for expedited mail and I overnighted a certified copy of my papers stating name change. Still no passport. On a closed loop cruise. My direct question is this: Can I get off the ship and go to Grand Cayman and do the same in Cozumel with my certified copy birth certificate and Drivers license? The name on BC and DL and cruise tickets all match.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had applied for a passport name change and supplied all of the documents needed, not realizing my divorce certificate was notarized and not certified, it was rejected. I had paid extra for expedited mail and I overnighted a certified copy of my papers stating name change. Still no passport. On a closed loop cruise. My direct question is this: Can I get off the ship and go to Grand Cayman and do the same in Cozumel with my certified copy birth certificate and Drivers license? The name on BC and DL and cruise tickets all match.

Yes.

All you need to reboard in these ports will be your ship card and a photo ID (such as a drivers license).

Your ID (i.e. Passport or birth cetificate) is more for checking in at the terminal.

Edited by GTO-Girl

That's just odd that it was notarized. That means you take a piece of paper to a notary, tell them that it's real, and they stamp it. I would think the divorce document would be from an official place and would be certified by those people when they gave/sent it to you. How did it end up notarized and not certified?

I know that that doesn't help you, but it's mystifying. I wonder if the people you got it from used the wrong seal/stamp?

You'll be fine without a passport. The only time you need documents is when you check in, they don't check them at the ports, which I was bummed about because I was hoping to add stamps to my passport :) Last time I cruised in 2013, a birth certificate and state ID were sufficient.

That's just odd that it was notarized. That means you take a piece of paper to a notary, tell them that it's real, and they stamp it. I would think the divorce document would be from an official place and would be certified by those people when they gave/sent it to you. How did it end up notarized and not certified?

I know that that doesn't help you, but it's mystifying. I wonder if the people you got it from used the wrong seal/stamp?

As a notary, I often make copies of documents and mark them 'True and Certified Copy' indicating that I have the original document in front of me, have verified that there are no alterations and have made the copy myself. Possibly if the notary did not use the correct language it would have been rejected. I do this all the time for copies of passports etc.

No matter what type of ID you are carrying, you'll use it when you arrive at the terminal /get your ship's ID made.

Then you'll use it again the day you disembark and return to the US -- Customs will want to see it that day.

In between, what matters to you is your ship's ID. That's what you'll need to leave the ship at the various islands. Once the ship personnel have looked at your ID documents once, they aren't going to do it again and again every time you leave the ship.

For US citizens on closed loop cruises out of the US passports are still not needed at all. Heck I wasn't event asked for photo ID in Jamaica and Cozumel last week.

Keep your fingers crossed that you don't need to fly home for an emergency. That is where the passport is of course required.